opinion on radios

Korey

Reaction score
Hey I'm wanting to get a new radio for the truck this year. I'm done with the "god I hope there's not a logger coming around that corner" and curious as to your opinions, suggestions and experience with different radios. Ps I already know I'm a fewking idiot for ever going without :rant: :d

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I picked up a handheld Wouxon self programmable. Keep it in the truck for calling KM's and it goes in the pack for communication on the mountain. I have it programmed with the RR channels as well as the FRS/GMRS channels.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i bought the Baofeng uv5r last year off amazon for 40 bucks works great in the truck or on the sled can program it to work with all types of radios
from the good ones to the cheap crapy tire ones

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kenwood 128? Channel truck radio on headrest, kenwood handhelds programmed to match truck. Ladds oil roads forestry etc

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use a Kenwood and a tad. Like them both. Fyi if your looking to use it in BC be sure to get RR channels all 35 of them should cost about $50. I think the Kenwood holds more channels then the tad but I think the tad has a little better range.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just bought some baofeng UV82HP and extended antenna and remote mic. Too much traffic on the logging roads around here now in winter and when sledding I hope to be able to hits some repeaters around here. I think it would be a good idea if some of the bigger clubs install there own repeaters in areas where there in no cell or other repeaters. Radios are cheap these days and you don't need an expensive subscription. Be a good way to keep track of you buddies.

buckie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run a 4 bank icom in my pick up and in my log truck both have been great with long range I can reach 55.5km on the north fork from rocky

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

DooDoo

Reaction score
Kenwood all the way. Best range out of all the radios I have used, and I have used almost all brands with work. Also holds a ton of channels. They are a bit pricey tho but worth every penny.

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got a kenwood handheld, and I had a tad in my big truck. I liked the option of being able to program the channels myself in my tad. But it's not legal to be able to program the channels yourself, radio shop is supposed to program them. It's a matter of finding a radio guy that will set your radio up to self program.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a truck mount to sell, has a few hundred channels, is portable mount at the moment, can be permanent mounted also.

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
truck mount radios will give you better reception and transmission than the handhelds, especially in the hills. always fun o meet logging truck head on. always carry extra shorts.

Top Bottom