Okay guys help on diesel decision?

MRFUSION

Reaction score
I currently own a 2003 Dodge 2500 diesel with 270000k on it and have had great luck with it. I own a Yamaha dealership and haul my 4 place enclosed trailer around quite a bit. Never sees offroad at all just thought maybe sell while I can fetch a dollar or two or keep driving till she dies. My problem is my brother in law works at a big GMC dealership and I know I can get a great deal on a new duramax. Having a Dodge loving the Cummins, put a tranny in and injectors which seems normal for the kms. Not really a Ford fan. Dont deal very much with the local Dodge dealer but have good luck about a hour away. I dig the lack of electronics on my 03 but should a guy be scared of all the new electronics? Probably not getting any better in the future though either. I know the Duramax would handle like a car and the new one has the exhaust brake but this urea injection keeps popping up too. I know this topic has some posts on it, but any opinions I would appreciate. Maybe I should just ride my 03 till she bucks me. Thanx Shad

mountainman611

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats a nice delema to be in....lol. Your present rig is still serving you well,but there is a good deal to be had by your brother in law.
I think that it would depend on your "deal". If you only do hiway miles pulling a trailer,a duramax is a great rig.The 2011 models have a new frame as well,not sure if they fixed their front end issues though.
All in all,the big 3 have stepped up to the plate in the last year, and in my opinion you cant go wrong with any of them....Cheers!

steven2120

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the best thing you can do, is just take them all for a test drive and choose the one you like best and the one that will suit your needs the best. From what i see all 3 have there pros and cons. Your gonna get alot of fanboy answers, ultimately its your choice. Good luck in your searching, and keep us updated

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
man if i was you, it would be a tough decision. as a dealer, you have an image to uphold, it is a right off. i'd be looking at the new truck, sign it up and drive, public image. take potential customers out for rides, big sales potential. become the ultimate dealer in area,

buy the new truck. become very customer friendly=more sales.:beer::beer:

sledheadrevxp

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't consider a ford if you want any kind of economy out of it. The milage is horrible. Chev and dodge are the only diesel to look at in my opinion. The new chev is a cadillac with a diesel and a box. Super comfortable and quiet. Tons of pulling power. Hands down I would take the new chev. There is nothing bad that can ever be said about that cummins as they are the most reliable dependable engines on the market and hands down the best economy you can get out of a 1 ton pickup. Ultimatly its your decision but as imdooin says you have an image to uphold as a dealer. I wouldn't give your cummins away if you get the chev though. Put it up for sale as the dealer wouldn't give you what its worth. Hope this helps
Cheers

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep the old 5.9 will keep, but new is new......I say drive em all take your time* and decide.......it's your hard earned cash may as well be a good decision behind spending it........But I vote for dodge.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't consider a ford if you want any kind of economy out of it. The milage is horrible. Chev and dodge are the only diesel to look at in my opinion. The new chev is a cadillac with a diesel and a box. Super comfortable and quiet. Tons of pulling power. Hands down I would take the new chev. There is nothing bad that can ever be said about that cummins as they are the most reliable dependable engines on the market and hands down the best economy you can get out of a 1 ton pickup. Ultimatly its your decision but as imdooin says you have an image to uphold as a dealer. I wouldn't give your cummins away if you get the chev though. Put it up for sale as the dealer wouldn't give you what its worth. Hope this helps
Cheers

Just got back from Revi with my 2011 ford dually pulling a 4 place steel trailer at 120 average. 22 liters per hundred. And sick power. The trip before we took my friends 2010 dodge and same trailer. 34 liters per hundred. Not to mention the dodge can barely pass down bill. Way gutless engine. The new ford can pull out on any Hill and rip passed multiple big rigs uphill. I had a 6.7 dodge and even after a ton Of mods and void warranty it still was less power and worse on fuel then my new ford. The duramax is very close in fuel to my new ford. Yes the older ford were as embarrassing on fuel as the new dodge

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not to sure were people get the thing of the chev front end is weak I have wrecked 1 thing on my dmax in all the 4 I have had and that was a faulty aftermarket not GM tierod now it is replaced and better than ever so really whoever says gm is famous for having bad front ends is on crack!!! all my dmaxes were still rolling on stock ball joints and they
all had close to 130,000 km's on them so hmmm real weak ya ok.

AlbertaSummit

Reaction score
If your gonna buy a chevy for highway cruising and mild towing. I know it be buying the Denali HD Duramax

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
i think you cant go wrong with the big 3 right now. all 3 upped the ponies/trq this yr along with other changes.

but which one will be able to withstand the newfound power?

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got back from Revi with my 2011 ford dually pulling a 4 place steel trailer at 120 average. 22 liters per hundred. And sick power. The trip before we took my friends 2010 dodge and same trailer. 34 liters per hundred. Not to mention the dodge can barely pass down bill. Way gutless engine. The new ford can pull out on any Hill and rip passed multiple big rigs uphill. I had a 6.7 dodge and even after a ton Of mods and void warranty it still was less power and worse on fuel then my new ford. The duramax is very close in fuel to my new ford. Yes the older ford were as embarrassing on fuel as the new dodge

I dont see how 34L/100 is even possible, i avg 14L/100 km with my 6.7 and 17-20l/100km while towing.

if your sticking to the highway, the chev might be right for you. the new ford is nice, has tones of power, but its not proven yet. how can ford be proven when they change their engine every 2-3 yrs. cummins is proven without a doubt and the new ones are a step up in the comfort department, but again dodge does have a weak transmission, im in number 4 in 67000 km. my 04.5 duramax is on original front end at 125000km. both are nice trucks, so like mentioned above, drive all three, do some negotiating and pick the best one for the best deal.

i actually just did the front wheel bearings on the duramax

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not to sure were people get the thing of the chev front end is weak I have wrecked 1 thing on my dmax in all the 4 I have had and that was a faulty aftermarket not GM tierod now it is replaced and better than ever so really whoever says gm is famous for having bad front ends is on crack!!! all my dmaxes were still rolling on stock ball joints and they
all had close to 130,000 km's on them so hmmm real weak ya ok.

they get that info from people who sled pull/drag race with high hp duramaxes and stock tie rods, they snap and bend.

under normal highway situations they will never be a problem, unless you crash into a tree and then you bend everything...

my 06 lbz i just had to replace the front wheel bearings, becasue of the lift and larger tires sizes. and thats at 145000 km

senorjeem

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2011 Chevy's are having major issues with the urea addition system. I wouldn't touch them until that is worked out. At least 6 of them in our fleet and all of them are screwy. When it is cold, they will not sense that the urea system is functioning correctly, and will put your truck into limp mode. There was some speculation that the urea was freezing, but buddy had a jug of it in the box of his truck when his system crashed, and the stuff in the jug in the back of his truck wasn't frozen. This was part of GM's answer to making the 2012 emissions limits, so it is not going to be as simple as just disabling these systems.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for the info i havent heard of this yet but around here it has been such mild temps we really cant test these trucks yet in cranbrook. yeah i'm skeptical on the urea system as well it sucks all this emmissions crap is making this difficult for moddifing

sledheadrevxp

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow must b way better than that pos harley edition i had! Lots of power but lucky to pull 10 mpg out of it! Did I ever do a happy dance the day I warched that thing drive away and pulled the chevy into the garage. Glad yours is workin out better than mine was
Cheers

UOTE=drew562;1060025]Just got back from Revi with my 2011 ford dually pulling a 4 place steel trailer at 120 average. 22 liters per hundred. And sick power. The trip before we took my friends 2010 dodge and same trailer. 34 liters per hundred. Not to mention the dodge can barely pass down bill. Way gutless engine. The new ford can pull out on any Hill and rip passed multiple big rigs uphill. I had a 6.7 dodge and even after a ton Of mods and void warranty it still was less power and worse on fuel then my new ford. The duramax is very close in fuel to my new ford. Yes the older ford were as embarrassing on fuel as the new dodge[/QUOTE]

rocketron

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow must b way better than that pos harley edition i had! Lots of power but lucky to pull 10 mpg out of it! Did I ever do a happy dance the day I warched that thing drive away and pulled the chevy into the garage. Glad yours is workin out better than mine was
Cheers

I've driven with you. It was like the throttle was on a toggle switch, WFO or idle! :beer:

sledheadrevxp

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cheers

I've driven with you. It was like the throttle was on a toggle switch, WFO or idle! :beer:

That's supose to make a differance. I wanted fuel milage a wot. Thought that's how it worked lol. You know rocket a chev could do it haha:chevy: :d

Top Bottom