OK...Popcorn lovers

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My whole family has always been popcorn lovers. I remember the folks cooking it in a pot with oil...then those wire baskets shaken over the stove burners....then automatic oil poppers, then finally air poppers. Guess what? it got worse every time popcorn got "easier". Microwave corn....meh....whatever. The last few years I've been air popping and using margarine or on "special occasions" real butter. But ya know, air popped just isn't right. The corn is always "chewy".

SO, after some research....I am back to basics. A hand stirred, stovetop oil popper. Wabash Valley Farms Whirley Pop Popcorn Popper - Silver: Amazon.ca: Home & Garden . Like that one. I use 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and 1/2 a cup of regular seeds...nothing fancy. Pops awesome with only a couple of dead ones....and the dead ones are still edible, won't break your teeth like one that blows past the hot air machine. Then, I use real butter...very little, like 2 or 3 tablespoons OR this stuff: Wabash Valley Farms Popcorn Topping - Buttery: Amazon.ca: Home & Garden . Also only a couple of tablespoons. Then top off with FINE salt, not table salt, or this stuff: http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000M5JUC2/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01 . Again...very little is needed. POPCORN HEAVEN folks!

And that's my sled tip for 2013. Hahaha.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow. That's y u need boost.

Jebus that's way to much work for pop corn

from my HTC

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My whole family has always been popcorn lovers. I remember the folks cooking it in a pot with oil...then those wire baskets shaken over the stove burners....then automatic oil poppers, then finally air poppers. Guess what? it got worse every time popcorn got "easier". Microwave corn....meh....whatever. The last few years I've been air popping and using margarine or on "special occasions" real butter. But ya know, air popped just isn't right. The corn is always "chewy".

SO, after some research....I am back to basics. A hand stirred, stovetop oil popper. Wabash Valley Farms Whirley Pop Popcorn Popper - Silver: Amazon.ca: Home & Garden . Like that one. I use 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and 1/2 a cup of regular seeds...nothing fancy. Pops awesome with only a couple of dead ones....and the dead ones are still edible, won't break your teeth like one that blows past the hot air machine. Then, I use real butter...very little, like 2 or 3 tablespoons OR this stuff: Wabash Valley Farms Popcorn Topping - Buttery: Amazon.ca: Home & Garden . Also only a couple of tablespoons. Then top off with FINE salt, not table salt, or this stuff: Wabash Valley Farms Popcorn Seasoning - Real Theater: Amazon.ca: Home & Garden . Again...very little is needed. POPCORN HEAVEN folks!

And that's my sled tip for 2013. Hahaha.
My wife has that whirley pop popcorn popper it's been awhile sense we've used it ,but ya it's good.Lots of flavors.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow. That's y u need boost.

Jebus that's way to much work for pop corn

from my HTC
Takes 3 mins...less time than an air popper and about the same as microcrud popcorn. Aaaaand, has less fat than microwave popcorn.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Well Dave, I love popcorn and have loved popcorn for years!

I have done it all kinds of ways and like you now have my favorite method.

I have a great air popper and love it. It is healthy and doesn't modify anything like the microwave does.

I put on my own flavours; butter (never use margarine anymore), and a little salt. I may use some herbs now and again.

Just plain popcorn with butter and salt is the best. I probably go over board with the butter but the body needs a little fat and butter is a natural product, therefore, in moderation it is good for you.

I make up a big mixing bowl and I mean big; nearly 16" across and 6" deep. What I don't eat in the evening I have for breakfast.

How many have a bowl of vegetables for breakfast????

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have one of those as well, but to make REAL popcorn, you need a hot fire and a steel popper. Makes the best popcorn ever especially out camping!!

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Friends of ours have this one. Works awesome and makes great popcorn. I'm definitely picking one up.

Sent from my iPad when I should be sledding.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I was a kid, we had an old aluminum pot with a lid.

A little oil, and the popcorn. Man was that good.

Try a little chili powder on it. It actually gives it a good flavour.

I now use a hot air popper, real butter, and sea salt. I also use the white corn. It isn't as starchy as the yellow.

Last edited:

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's the same one we have. One of the latches broke so I ordered our second one off of Amazon for $30. They are great. Try adding some Franks to your butter then putting it on your popcorn. Mmm good!

Friends of ours have this one. Works awesome and makes great popcorn. I'm definitely picking one up.

Sent from my iPad when I should be sledding.

Terry Kenney

Reaction score
Quick healthy way is to take a standard brown paper lunch bag. Measure 1/4 cup popcorn close bag (not too tight) cook in microwave on high for two minutes. Keep an eye on it case the microwave cooks hot. Instead of butter or margarine try pure virgin olive oil and salt. My family likes it almost as much as the conventional way.(butter is better)

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Quick healthy way is to take a standard brown paper lunch bag. Measure 1/4 cup popcorn close bag (not too tight) cook in microwave on high for two minutes. Keep an eye on it case the microwave cooks hot. Instead of butter or margarine try pure virgin olive oil and salt. My family likes it almost as much as the conventional way.(butter is better)

Hey bud how are you doooing! Happy New Year to you and yours…..

Is anything healthy cooked in a microwave……just asking

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I was a kid, we had an old aluminum pot with a lid.

A little oil, and the popcorn. Man was that good.

Try a little chili powder on it. It actually gives it a good flavour.

I now use a hot air popper, real butter, and sea salt. I also use the white corn. It isn't as starchy as the yellow.

yup same like same here, nothin better yum!!!!

Dave: your way too bored LOL

Trukker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm with Dave on this one as they do the best job at home . That microwave crap don't cut it for me . My buddy has a old movie theatre one he bought in an estate sale and buys the pre measured packaged corn/oil mixure so now I just buy a case and have him pop it for me then stop by and retrieve. Yummm

Top Bottom