Oilers Captain

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any news/rumours on a new captain for the oil this year??

I sdont think theyll name a captain, and play out half the season or so, and then see whos leading the team..

or dustin penner.....?
Maby hemmer....although they probably need someone a bit more vocal and not someone that says ( ahhh ha ha haawkey U know me shoot puck and ahhhhh.....it's good me wanna play and nikoli he drinky to muchy.......) yeah I wish they kept staios for one more year....he's a good all around guy to have gotten the C.................my vote might be for Penner all he needs is the want to be here and not swing a good season just for the bucks........lots of oiler fans on here to add to this post i'm sure.

h.karst

Reaction score
If you can't find me check your moms house
Maby hemmer....although they probably need someone a bit more vocal and not someone that says ( ahhh ha ha haawkey U know me shoot puck and ahhhhh.....it's good me wanna play and nikoli he drinky to muchy.......) yeah I wish they kept staios for one more year....he's a good all around guy to have gotten the C.................my vote might be for Penner all he needs is the want to be here and not swing a good season just for the bucks........lots of oiler fans on here to add to this post i'm sure.

Yea definitlety not hemsky! hes good and all but not a leader by any means.
Staois wouldve definitley been a good choice - strudwick seems to have same attributes as staios and hes commited to being an oiler, he likes the team and wants to stay. Theyve got a few options i guess. Not cut and clear tho.

I think penner would have to prove himself again this year (on ice and locker room) to become captain - could be a long shot...

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Yea definitlety not hemsky! hes good and all but not a leader by any means.
Staois wouldve definitley been a good choice - strudwick seems to have same attributes as staios and hes commited to being an oiler, he likes the team and wants to stay. Theyve got a few options i guess. Not cut and clear tho.

I think penner would have to prove himself again this year (on ice and locker room) to become captain - could be a long shot...

Maybe I'm being naive BUT..... if Penner could play THAT well last year on a chit team maybe he'll surprise the nay-sayers again this year....

Just sayin....

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
May as well put some more pressure on Hall and throw the "C" on his sweater. I'm surprized nobody has mentioned the 7 Million dollar man; I'd think that with the amount of $$$$$$ Horcoff makes he would be the natural pick..........just sayin'.

h.karst

Reaction score
May as well put some more pressure on Hall and throw the "C" on his sweater. I'm surprized nobody has mentioned the 7 Million dollar man; I'd think that with the amount of $$$$$$ Horcoff makes he would be the natural pick..........just sayin'.

True story.

I really disl;ike everything about horcoff....and the money he makes....and the lack of everything he does for the team... he would be my last choice for captain!

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
True story.

I really disl;ike everything about horcoff....and the money he makes....and the lack of everything he does for the team... he would be my last choice for captain!
Hall shouldn't get it..............The C given to a rookie is wrong......even crosby had to wait out that one.....but then again this kid could be that next crosby....... I'm with ya on horiblecoff....... first line center....wow......if penner wants to stay and play I say give it to him till hall get's his first 100pt season under him..........then it will at least be an earned C.........

h.karst

Reaction score
Hall shouldn't get it..............The C given to a rookie is wrong......even crosby had to wait out that one.....but then again this kid could be that next crosby....... I'm with ya on horiblecoff....... first line center....wow......if penner wants to stay and play I say give it to him till hall get's his first 100pt season under him..........then it will at least be an earned C.........

I like!

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I sure hope it's not Horcoff... I doubt it will be Hall - he's got enough stress this year. Hemmer is not really a leader, and too hot and cold in his game to be a captain. It won't be Souray - even though he was A last year, I hope he doesn't play at all, buy out his contract or bury him in the minors! (We don't need that kind of cancer on a rebuilding team) Strudwick is a possibility, seems to have a good attitude. Penner might not be a bad choice? I am not sure he is a skilled leader, but he seems to have the right attitude, and consistenly played well on a crappy team.

I think they will go without a captain for as long as they can - just pick a captain each game. Didn't Chicago do that for a couple years?

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Without a doubt, Horcoff will be wearing the "C" this year. Why I believe this....He will unfortunately be around for another 5 seasons, he has spent his entire career with Edmonton, (a long sad one), this will be his 10th season. He has already worn the "A", he is the player representative for the NHLPA and anytime you hear other players speak of Horcoff they hold a high opinion of him and his work ethic.

Given the recent Captains, Moreau and Smith you could say that the Oil prefer to have underachievers wearing the "C"...who better fits that?

Strudwick won't be - one year contracts
Hall won't be - rookie season
Souray could have been - his apparent "attitude issues" are in question
Gagner - ??? If he could grow a stache
Penner - ??? No way
Gilbert - I don't know if anyone takes him serious
Whitney - I'm hoping Ryan has a stellar year in Edm, "A" for sure.
Hemmer - forget it, he takes more retaliation penalties than a girls field hockey team

Top Bottom