oil trouble

jethrobuddy

Reaction score
Hi Guys:

I am having a bit of trouble with my old 89 Ski-Doo chyanne. This is a sled for everyday use at the lake. Anyhow, I put new gas and plugs in her at the beginning of the season. Two rides in, she starts to bog when I throttle up after a slow 20m/hr ride. Then no power and backfire, then shuts down completly. I wait a minute, hold the throttle wide open, pull 20-30 times and she starts....barely. Putt-putt down the road with no power. after about a minute, I get full power with a few hick-ups of no power. I park for a week.
Today, prime the sled with three pumps of the primer, and it starts great. Go for a road ride with my kid, get back to the lake, stop fpr a bit. Get back on the sled and it starts to bog down and back fire. I make it back to the barn, only after pulling the plugs, and clearing the cyls. It still doesn't run all that well.
Both times it started to run poorly, the sled ended up on its side roughly 5 minutes prior. The last time when I pulled the plugs, there was injection oil all over the cyl head, and the plug boot. The plugs were fouled as well.

jethrobuddy

Reaction score
This is as best as I can explain it. If you have any questions, be specific, this is totally baffling me.

Thanks in advance.

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just got my sons' out of the garage, after a week of working on it.......very similer sounding situation

1) Did all the injector oil on everything happen when the sled was on its side??

I will make a long story short, carb cleaning.

After a week of work, and just about ready to just give in and order a new carb, I decided to take it all apart one more time (the first fifteen apperently didn't do it)

There was a little flec of ch!t in the needle and seat, that was missed everytime.......because i got lazy.

once out the sled runs like new

snotwister

Reaction score
Well to me it sounds like a classic case of the primer gone bad.All skidoo,s with a primer were famous for it.What happens is the seals in the primer go for a crap and when your running your sled it is sucking extra fuel which will cause it to flood out, and wont start as you mentioned once warm as it is flooded.Also why it runs good at first when you start it cold.Start it and watch the primer line running to the carb and see if you can see fuel being sucked through it.Hope this helps, good luck.

jethrobuddy

Reaction score
Thank you for the quick responses. As far as the injector oil goes.......I do not think it happened when the sled was on its side. The amount was too much for the time it spent on its side (10-15 seconds). Also it was not visible when I lifted the hood at the middle of the ordeal. It showed up 1/2 hr later in my pulling the cord marathon. I will clean my carb, check my primer, and see what happens. Please keep the thoughts comming. I am all ears.

Top Bottom