Oil money

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The oil debate is gonna be an endless battle which hopefully doesn't take forever to straighten out and get the economy stabilized. I've been working on a drilling rig in some way, shape or form since 1997 and am tired of it. If I can squeeze another 10yrs out of it great but as of late I have been pondering a career change which is kind of scarey going on 40 with a wife and young kids under the age of 10.

Do it crazy, over 20 years ago I was in the same boat as you. I was coming home after racking the rig in 3 ft of mud (cats were pulling trucks around the lease) and decided that I was going nowhere and needed a change. I took the first power engineering course in Fort St John at the Northern Lights College and came out with 1/2 my 3rd and all levels of Gas Processing. I got a job right out of the course and it's been the best move I ever did, I am home every day to see my family, I have a decent benefits/savings package, I get tons of time off and I make twice as much as I ever made on the rigs.

Bounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They're not "pushing them out". They've had them advertised at that price since Sept. when I started shopping.
Ouch! Just started looking around for a deal to see what a guy can get in a last season four stroke unit. The viper I'm hearing is the way to go but being it a cat chassy anyhow why not get one cheap and with factory boost seems like a no brainer...none of us keep them very long anyways. Something new is always around the corner.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm waiting for the companies to start dumping equipment. Looking at buying some heavy equipment. Multiple pieces if possible.
I remember in 08/09 if you wanted logging equipment richie brothers prince gorge action finning rentel fleet and others were fetching 25 cents on the dollar. New iMac hx 40 power clam...$12 grand. I just bought one from brandt of $60. 527 swing cat with 325 hours for $160 k, is it possible we will see this happen again so soon?

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I remember in 08/09 if you wanted logging equipment richie brothers prince gorge action finning rentel fleet and others were fetching 25 cents on the dollar. New iMac hx 40 power clam...$12 grand. I just bought one from brandt of $60. 527 swing cat with 325 hours for $160 k, is it possible we will see this happen again so soon?
I missed my chance to buy two D8T's from my employer, they went to auction in October, $101,000 and $97,000. Both had rebuilt transmssions, one with a new undercarriage. And had an easy life pushing garbage, and they were dealer serviced. They were 2005 and a 2006 models, so pre emissions. I really missed out. The bank called me 20 minutes after they sold. Wanted to shove $350,000 down my throat for a mortgage.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I missed my chance to buy two D8T's from my employer, they went to auction in October, $101,000 and $97,000. Both had rebuilt transmssions, one with a new undercarriage. And had an easy life pushing garbage, and they were dealer serviced. They were 2005 and a 2006 models, so pre emissions. I really missed out. The bank called me 20 minutes after they sold. Wanted to shove $350,000 down my throat for a mortgage.

Yep cash is king...if it's in your hand the seller with take just about anything at the right time. Mental note to self...get pre approval or cash ready for the good buys. Good luck for the next round.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have not gone back and read every post but what I really don't understand is wtf has the Government done with all this oil revenue? To make me more frustrated I read the following article:

https://canadiandimension.com/articles/view/if-every-norwegians-a-millionaire-whys-alberta-in-hock

Say what you want, we as Albertan's should have more given the billions of dollars pumped out of the ground.....

And like it says in that article, most of their oil companies are owned by the government, Canada's are mostly foreign owned, with China gobbling up an increasingly larger portion. So the majority of profits are sent offshore out of Canada, and then a portion of the royalties paid to Alberta are divided for the rest of communist Canada. So we really get bent over, I think a major review of royalty rates is in order so Albertans get more from our resources. Oh and Harper can quit allowing the sale of Canadian oil companies to foreign investors as well.

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have not gone back and read every post but what I really don't understand is wtf has the Government done with all this oil revenue? To make me more frustrated I read the following article:

https://canadiandimension.com/articles/view/if-every-norwegians-a-millionaire-whys-alberta-in-hock

Say what you want, we as Albertan's should have more given the billions of dollars pumped out of the ground.....

Good article, I've been woorking in the upstream side for ten yrs, and feel this should be the way all albertans and canadians for that matter benefit from this economy.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The "we are alberta and alberta rules Canada" thing gets old after awhile. Yes alberta has had a good strong run by having a good product and getting a good price. Fact of the matter its a country wide deal not just a provincial benefit. The alberta arrogance gets tiresome. If the mass population and manufacturing in the east denied your oil/gas alberta would have been hurting long time ago same for shipping in the west. If it weren't for the WHOLE country capability of using and trading it would be useless. Its nice to have all the oil but if you can't sell it whats the point?

Good article, I've been woorking in the upstream side for ten yrs, and feel this should be the way all albertans and canadians for that matter benefit from this economy.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not for logging equipment.

CCCC

Reaction score
Oil Producing Nations: check out this link for the Government Budgeted Oil Prices Required: BBC News - Falling oil prices: Who are the winners and losers? Big difference between actual lifting or operating costs, and what a Government budgets to keep their social programs going, keep the masses from protesting or prevent riots in the streets, etc... So many Countries have 'fuel subsidies' out there. Saudi Arabia has a lot more 'cash in the bank' and can draw off these reserves, but they will be spending more money on a yearly basis than they bring in at these oil prices. They just dip into their rainy day fund to make up the difference. When oil prices come back, and they will, it will be hard and fast. But when is the big question. I give it 6 - 12 months.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most analysts on both sides of the debate are saying 3 to 5 years!!

Oil Producing Nations: check out this link for the Government Budgeted Oil Prices Required: BBC News - Falling oil prices: Who are the winners and losers? Big difference between actual lifting or operating costs, and what a Government budgets to keep their social programs going, keep the masses from protesting or prevent riots in the streets, etc... So many Countries have 'fuel subsidies' out there. Saudi Arabia has a lot more 'cash in the bank' and can draw off these reserves, but they will be spending more money on a yearly basis than they bring in at these oil prices. They just dip into their rainy day fund to make up the difference. When oil prices come back, and they will, it will be hard and fast. But when is the big question. I give it 6 - 12 months.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Snowing in Revy! supposed to get warm next week though:(

Top Bottom