Oil in 1998 Ski-Doo 670 Summit X

summit1000

Reaction score
So I just recently bought a 1998 Ski-Doo 670 Summit X. Prior to this I had a 2006 Summit 1000 but had to sell it due to budgeting reasons. I only put about 200 km's on the 1000, but I always ran Legend ZX2R because I had heard really good things about it. The guy I bought the 670 Summit from was just running Castrol Super Snowmobile oil. I still have about 2.5 jugs of Legend oil, and would like to continue using. There was about half a jug of Castrol Super Snowmobile oil left and the oil reservoir was almost full when I bought the 670. He gave me the half jug of Castrol. So, my question is, should I just use the rest of the Castrol, and then run it down so that there isn't a lot left in the reservoir (not too low for obvious reasons) and then would I be able to fill it up with Legend oil? I know that the 670 Summits have R.A.V.E and that Legend oil is really good for keeping R.A.V.E. valves clean, so that is why I'd like to continue using Legend oil.

To ask more simply, is their anything wrong with having the Legend oil and the Castrol Oil mix together in the oil reservoir on the snowmobile?

Last edited:

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not a good idea to mix oils. Personally, I would draw the Castrol out of the tank with a suction gun (Princess Auto), and refill with the Legend.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not an oil I would recommend but I know a mechanic/guide who runs Castrol super and has for years, last check he had 8000km on his 06 rev 800.

summit1000

Reaction score
Not a good idea to mix oils. Personally, I would draw the Castrol out of the tank with a suction gun (Princess Auto), and refill with the Legend.

So even if I run the tank down so that there is just a little bit left (like an quarter or less) still not a good idea to put the Legend in on top?

Not an oil I would recommend but I know a mechanic/guide who runs Castrol super and has for years, last check he had 8000km on his 06 rev 800.

Do you think mixing oils is a bad idea as well?

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
99% of the time they mix with no trouble. Mix some in a spare jug and see what happens.
That being said, for the cost of a cheapo suction gun at PA, suck the old oil out and save yourself the stress of thinking about it to much.

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try not to mix. Rip around the fields till you pretty much drain the resevoir, get it as cleaned out as possible and then start using your prefered oil.

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
exactly what Ric said. if the oil is NOT meant to be mixed it will say on the bottle.i personally like to siphon as much out as possible, but it won't hurt to mix them unless it says other.

summit1000

Reaction score
Go ahead and mix the oil and run whatever you have.... Won't hurt anything!!!

exactly what Ric said. if the oil is NOT meant to be mixed it will say on the bottle.i personally like to siphon as much out as possible, but it won't hurt to mix them unless it says other.

That's what I always figured, but then I read about all of these people saying don't mix oils and made me nervous. Years ago my dad owned a 700 Summit and a 700 RMK and we'd run different oils in them. Sometimes running Ski-Doo oil in the Polaris or having to run Polaris oil in the Ski-Doo. We also have two Polaris watercraft. For the longest time we just ran Polaris oil. Then we couldnt find any at the nearby store and bought some other injector oil. It never seemed to make any difference.

I think I'll just run the Castrol until the jug is done and the tank is very low, and then fill it up with Legend.

Top Bottom