Oil field jobs

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did a career counselling course a few years after high school. I had worked some odd jobs, spun some wrenches, signed up for/accepted into/turned down auto mechanic course at NAIT.

Lots of jobs out there, and some people need direction. It helped me. Im a city worker, I work 25% of the year, and I make 100ish. Life isnt all about making big money, its about having a work/life balance, and doing something you enjoy.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Directional Drilling or MWD is probably the top of the list as far as money earned vs physical work performed. Some days I lay on my couch at work watching tv and monitoring my computers and can't believe I get paid what I get paid for the job I do lol. I'm actually working right now. But then other days I think FML I should go sell umbrellas in mexico or something......

That said it's not really an entry level job. You need a few years on a drilling rig or similar drilling experience and be computer savvy. Technical degrees in the oil and gas industry are also a plus. IMO, nothing beats experience though.

Last edited:

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LBZ you sound like an MWD hand, lol...

When I went from standing at the brake handle to directional many directional companies requirements were minimum 5yrs as a driller. It sure would be nice if the new mwd's coming out to the field now a days had at least 6 months to a year roughneck experience just for the simple understanding and basics of a drilling rig.

biggie25

Reaction score
go to school.. get your power engineering.... only crappy part is shift work.. but your home every day.. lots of jobs around edmonton from 150k-250k.. lots of vacation.. .. any big company has all the health care plans and retirement plans... been doing it for 9 years now right out of nait.. easy on the body.. no hard labour.. lots of time off.. if you get in with a big company ur usally set for life.. if there is a slow time the first ppl to get cut are the contractors..

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LBZ you sound like an MWD hand, lol...

When I went from standing at the brake handle to directional many directional companies requirements were minimum 5yrs as a driller. It sure would be nice if the new mwd's coming out to the field now a days had at least 6 months to a year roughneck experience just for the simple understanding and basics of a drilling rig.

Movie Watching Dude for over 4 years now lol.
It's not all movies and video games, but when your tools are running good and the drilling is slow, it makes up for the odd job where your flat out hair straight back trying to keep stuff working.
I never worked a day on a rig other than cement jobs before I went out as an MWD Consultant. But I had 10 years of experience well servicing and I pick things up very quick. I also had a very good mentor I could call when I was stumped by something-usually computer related issues.
But I could see where rig experience might be helpful, and a 1 year roughneck that is computer literate is worth more than any schooled degree toting guy that has never worked a day in the oilfield that's for sure!

Last edited:

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did a career counselling course a few years after high school. I had worked some odd jobs, spun some wrenches, signed up for/accepted into/turned down auto mechanic course at NAIT.

Lots of jobs out there, and some people need direction. It helped me. Im a city worker, I work 25% of the year, and I make 100ish. Life isnt all about making big money, its about having a work/life balance, and doing something you enjoy.

You work 3 months a year and get paid 100 ish ??? So much for my tax dollars lol. Where do I sign up?

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You work 3 months a year and get paid 100 ish ??? So much for my tax dollars lol. Where do I sign up?

Its not 3 months. It's over 12 months I would say.

Whatever you do remember what is stated above.

Life isn't all about making big money, it's about having a work/life balance , and doing something you enjoy.

dodgeram18

Reaction score
I'm currently getting in to excavator operating I'm ok for the time I've run one. Starting my new job tomorrow as an operator . Hopefully I can get in to the oil side of operating one day.

Sent from my iPhone while wishing the snow was gone so I can go dirt biking.

if your just an operator you wont be raking in the cash the ultimate way to go is buy your machine and contract out and if your good at keeping busy and do it right buy another machine and hire out. I have met many operators and if they don't own the machine they are only making fair coin. nothing great IMO

gates559

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Going to school seems like a long term investment that you may end up hating. Looking for a job to make good coin right out of the gate and go up from there.

Reason I say pipeline is because someone can start out as a dummy and still make descent money. Move up the ladder at your own pace and before long your running your own truck,makin big bucks.

I find it hard to see the benefits of school unless your positive thats what your going to do the rest of your life. The first four plus years starving going to school while a laborer in the patch is bringing in near six figures and learning a trade while doing so. He will go on to make the same as someone who went to school but has already squirreled away tens of thousands over the first four years while the guy that went to school owes on student loans.

gates559

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did well testing years ago long enough to see that I wouldn't recommend the rigs to anyone. Way easier ways to make that money.

aocbiz

Reaction score
go to school.. get your power engineering.... only crappy part is shift work.. but your home every day.. lots of jobs around edmonton from 150k-250k.. lots of vacation.. .. any big company has all the health care plans and retirement plans... been doing it for 9 years now right out of nait.. easy on the body.. no hard labour.. lots of time off.. if you get in with a big company ur usally set for life.. if there is a slow time the first ppl to get cut are the contractors..

Great advice! If I was going to do it over again, this is the way to go!!

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I wouldn't say there's no hard labor, unless your in the control room or your plant is nothing but MOV's? Still working my way to the control room and while there's lots of netflix nights there's also lots where I don't sit down for a whole 12hr shift and spend the whole time cranking 12-16" valves. What class do you have?

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if your just an operator you wont be raking in the cash the ultimate way to go is buy your machine and contract out and if your good at keeping busy and do it right buy another machine and hire out. I have met many operators and if they don't own the machine they are only making fair coin. nothing great IMO

Id have to disagree, but maybe im out to lunch and have no clue on how much alot of guys are pullin in out there but in my division top rate is just shy of $60/hr with a 6/6 shift. I know of countless guys that make 200-250k by putting in an xtra 50-60 OT shifts a year. Then theres the opportunity to move up into supervisory/management roles if you know ur ****, and theres gobs of money there. I think there may be a misconception that you cant earn a damn good living as an employee with dirt work?
IMO thats better than fair

cancritter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thing about having a trade is once you get it you can go out and try anything else you want and if it dosnt pan out you always have trade to fall back on..

straightshooter

Reaction score
I find it hard to see the benefits of school unless your positive thats what your going to do the rest of your life. The first four plus years starving going to school while a laborer in the patch is bringing in near six figures and learning a trade while doing so. He will go on to make the same as someone who went to school but has already squirreled away tens of thousands over the first four years while the guy that went to school owes on student loans.

That laborer in the patch that makes 100k is going to be at home eating craft dinner pretty soon. Wondering where he's going to get the money for his next payment from.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

biggie25

Reaction score
Going to school seems like a long term investment that you may end up hating. Looking for a job to make good coin right out of the gate and go up from there.

Reason I say pipeline is because someone can start out as a dummy and still make descent money. Move up the ladder at your own pace and before long your running your own truck,makin big bucks.

You can take night classes at nait.. 2x a week for 6 month.. 700$
Books are around 700$ brand new.. can find on kijiji for cheaper
the only sticky part is trying to get ur steam time.. but no fret cause nait offers you a steam course. . I think 3000$.. you can also take it at nait.. in a year u can have ur 4th and get a job.. its a longer term plan yes but one that could make sense.. while ur working at that company you work on ur 3rd class during shift time.. company pays for the rest of the cost.. shell just hired 25 guys with there 4th class paper.. anyways somthing to consider

gates559

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That laborer in the patch that makes 100k is going to be at home eating craft dinner pretty soon. Wondering where he's going to get the money for his next payment from.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I love getting deals on quality stuff on kijiji.

gates559

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another job I was wondering about, maybe someone can shed some light on is an operator job. not equipment but lease site operators.

Whats involved in that? what type of pay are those cats bringin in. Looks like its probably descent. I see them running their own trucks and getting charge outs for sleds/ quads. Looks like a good job. They appear to just call a trade when something needs to be done, but im not 100%. Downside is that I think its shift work.

Top Bottom