Oil field jobs

gates559

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What would you recommend as the best job to get into today for someone motivated to work and will start in any position in order to work there way to a lucrative job.

I think pipelining would be a great choice. Seems like a lot of those guys work there way to a great position in no time.

What would you choose if you were to start a new career in the oil field.

Syclone74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pipeline. Been in the industry for 20+years and the last 15 doing pipeline construction and love it. It gets in the blood.

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What would you recommend as the best job to get into today for someone motivated to work and will start in any position in order to work there way to a lucrative job.

I think pipelining would be a great choice. Seems like a lot of those guys work there way to a great position in no time.

What would you choose if you were to start a new career in the oil field.

Most pipelines I've met seem to do great for a while but it's kinda on and off work with the booms and busts. They're usually some of the first to get cut when it slows down

dodgeram18

Reaction score
I've worked drilling rigs for 10 years and I only recommend it to the guys that can deal with the elements for a continuous 12hr shift, sometimes 10min snack break on the run if your on a trip shift. work isnt that hard, but you deal with a lot of bs and work with a few idiots. some companies are tits to work for and others are just jokes. work is also up and down with the industry but if your a derrickhand/driller you stay busy. save for breakup and don't work single rigs. doubles and up is where all the knowledge is. gain your experience then go consulting as an oilfield engineer whether through connections or school and connections to get in.

straightshooter

Reaction score
If you want a lucrative job Try to get a trade that u can work in the heavy industries pay sucks for a couple years. but once you have that red seal it's a easy 100 to 250g a year good chance of being home every night, never break a sweat and no slow down when oil is low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you want a lucrative job Try to get a trade that u can work in the heavy industries pay sucks for a couple years. but once you have that red seal it's a easy 100 to 250g a year good chance of being home every night, never break a sweat and no slow down when oil is low.

Sign me up, tell me where I can make 250G a year, not break a sweat and be home every night while not being affected by low prices.

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm currently getting in to excavator operating I'm ok for the time I've run one. Starting my new job tomorrow as an operator . Hopefully I can get in to the oil side of operating one day.

Sent from my iPhone while wishing the snow was gone so I can go dirt biking.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trades for sure, Electrical, Instrumentation, Pipefitting, Welding, ETC, lots of these positions available, first few years can be up and down but anyone that can learn their trade and becomes an asset to a company can have fairly stable employment. I went from going to school for Engineering to Pipefitting and didn't look back, I can't stand being stuck in an office and the opportunities are still numerous. Plus with a trade you should be able to move to other industries if necessary, not so much for a laborer that has thrown skids on a pipeline for the last 10+yrs.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

250G and all what you state don't go together,.. that is like saying meth is good for you and makes your teeth whiter and making your skin smoother and cleaner looking

Reactions: LBZ

Polar_RMK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Welders once got enough experience usually do pretty good, thought you need to be a professional as anywhere else....

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
250G and all what you state don't go together,.. that is like saying meth is good for you and makes your teeth whiter while clearing up your acne.

If you are a contractor with own truck and tools with a good/shifty accountant then yes, but as an employee absolutely not. What's excluded from this is the $120g plus required just to rig up a truck to get started.

straightshooter

Reaction score
My maintenance Forman at shell made 200g a year on a week on week off shift home every night. Most mechanics and welders In the heavy industries, gas plants, power plants, mines make 45-50 an hour. I've never made 250g yet. Im currently working with a welder that has a base salary of 99g but he's worked 1000 hours of x2 ot this year. He will make over 200g this year but lives at work.

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh man those wages make mine look like minimum wage lol

Sent from my iPhone while wishing the snow was gone so I can go dirt biking.

stomper

Reaction score
Get a trade like electrical, instrumentation or millwright then go work for a pipeline company. Not the dudes that build pipelines but the ones who operate them, like Enbridge, Pembina etc. Good money, company truck and not usually affected by the low oil prices or boom bust cycles like the upstream side.

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can be hard to get on but any site. shell, syncrude, suncor, cnrl, imperial. Great money, great shifts, double time, lots of paid holidays, bonuses, endless opportunities.
I found to get hired you needed to be persistant/vigilant with checking for job postings and applying, make good profiles with a good resume and cover letter for all sites.
Then be at your best for the countless interviews and testing that they require

Marmot MB

Reaction score
Boiler making is good work, steady somewhat through the year. great field pay.

Instrumentation if you are good at math and electricity.

Gas fitter but good pay and work can be tough to find, but great if you do.

If you are good with books, math and put the time and effort in Quality Control, welding inspection is the tits.

Safety can be a good long term gig, pay is not the highest but good work and pay can be great after 5-7 years and smart management of yourself.

Pipe fitter can be great work as well, but...is very dependant on construction and work is generally shorter scope of for outages and turn arounds.

If I was to get a do over... my choice would be instrumentation. take the 4 years to get through apprenticship then another 2-3 years journeyman experience..... easy work, good pay and lots of choices if you are good at it.

Top Bottom