oil cable inspection 08 XP

Duct tape Doo

Reaction score
I bought a 9mm wireless inspection camera from Costco for 150.00 with this task in mind, inserted it between the secondary clutch tower and the carb and got a perfect view of the cable, no fraying at all.
I have used the camera for appliance, automotive and plumbing and I can e-mail pictures and video.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pulling the carbs is free... :p

Thats cool though, I don't have an inspection camera in my tool box yet.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a 9mm wireless inspection camera from Costco for 150.00 with this task in mind, inserted it between the secondary clutch tower and the carb and got a perfect view of the cable, no fraying at all.
I have used the camera for appliance, automotive and plumbing and I can e-mail pictures and video.

i have a rigid 9mm camera. These things are great, you can stick the camera down the spark plug hole for inspection, hell even hold the throttle blades open and stick it down there.

I bought mine primaryly because i dropedp a washer down my big block. Well in the manifold i went and then every spark plug hole. Felt like open hart surgery, but i got it out.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
mine wasn't "frayed" either, just worn almost right through. there were no wires poking out or bent, they were just worn right smooth. there was maybe 3 strands holding it together. from the angle the cable has to come out of the bracket, they will ALL rub....I guarantee it.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
mine wasn't "frayed" either, just worn almost right through. there were no wires poking out or bent, they were just worn right smooth. there was maybe 3 strands holding it together. from the angle the cable has to come out of the bracket, they will ALL rub....I guarantee it.

how many km's ya think Troy?

what year did this get fixed,, my 12 better not fawking frey....

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how many km's ya think Troy?

what year did this get fixed,, my 12 better not fawking frey....
I think I had about 2500kms on mine when I yanked the mill JT. they went to an updated cable in '10 or '11 I think. I got the updated part number and it looks the same.....the problem isn't the cable but the bracket it mounts to. it has a bend that makes the cable rub on the threaded metal end when you open the oil pump at WOT. I haven't seen any of the newer models cable routing to see if it was changed, the way mine was the cable comes straight out at rest, and rubs the threaded end as the oil pump arm moves through it's arc motion. the bracket has a slight bend where the cable mounts, I just straightened the bend out a bit so the cable didn't rub as it went through the arc.

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I just hit a big rock and when you rip the front cooler right off you can see right in! (I like your way better) I saw that one at costco and I wanted to buy it to check piston wash. Duct tape Doo have you had it down a plug hole yet? Is the picture of the piston good enough?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a 3 foot borascope with out the big screen just a eye screen... works awsome for checking wash ect... but its like a cam in the eye part... the bigger screens might not be as good

Duct tape Doo

Reaction score
I just hit a big rock and when you rip the front cooler right off you can see right in! (I like your way better) I saw that one at costco and I wanted to buy it to check piston wash. Duct tape Doo have you had it down a plug hole yet? Is the picture of the piston good enough?

not yet, It should take a nice picture of piston wash, there is a small mirror on a 45 degree angle that fits through the plug hole as well, a small magnet and a hook attachment, I have used the powerfull little magnet to retreive a bolt under my motor in my Ski Nautique's bilge. I like that the display is wireless and you can move the camera without moving the monitor

Flatlander_01

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought the same one thought it was a good deal and great little tool when I was in Idaho got back to g.p and it was ten bucks cheaper used it a couple of times at work ,good unit.

ANDY SAIGER

Reaction score
I just replaced my throttle/oil cable on my 08. What a brutal job, had to recruit my wife to help with her small hands. Hope I never have to do that job again. Swallowed a little pride asking the wife.

Top Bottom