Official REVY Riding Conditions 2013/14

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
View attachment 167500

Here is a map of Boulder from the Snowmobile Club's website. Avoiding Shaede Lane during high avalanche days isn't really the answer though, in my opinion. Shaede Lane is mainly a lot of tree riding, there are some steep short pulls but the majority of it is relatively safe terrain. You'll go a lot further being able to assess risks of the terrain given the avy conditions of the day than to merely avoid an area because of a very unfortunate incident. That's my two cents anyways.

I'm not sure what trails or signs you're talking about. You might have Shaede Lane confused with the Viedeman trial which has been closed this last week due to the high avalanche risk.
I agree. I have never viewed Shaede Lane as a high avy area. You have a much better chance getting glitched in Superbowl or Sugarbowl IMO.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think people need to realize a lot of terrain can be hazardous right now. Shaede lane, simply frequented by a guy who considers himself a big thing in Revy, ;) is no more risky than riding some of the cut blocks many people are riding or any other are with large amounts of snow. It's loaded up, stuff can catch you off guard in your regular "safe" play areas.

Great snow, ride safe.

sent from a top secret location

harper44

Reaction score
I would agree with the above. A lot of people ride in that area during times of high avalanche risk/low visibility due to the great tree riding in the area as we were at the time of the incident. Avoiding Shaede lane in times of high avalanche conditions is not the lesson to learn from this unfortunate incident IMO. I'm sure some lessons will come out of this in due time when credible information and specifics become available. Out of respect to family and friends of the victim, I think we can wait for a CAC investigation to be completed and avoid speculation by those who weren't present during the incident. Until then, we all need to continue to practice safe riding techniques in every area and be especially diligent given the high danger ratings with all this awesome new snow.

Sent from my iPhone using

RevyG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is really starting to pile up, might need my snorkel soon!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 782
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 782
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 785
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 773

turbofarmer

Reaction score
These special reports should be on all local and national news day and night for the duration of the report. The media likes to jump on breaking news of avalanche incidents, but are reluctant to televise these special warnings which could prevent further incidents. So many people unaware of the real risk out there right now!

CanDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These special reports should be on all local and national news day and night for the duration of the report. The media likes to jump on breaking news of avalanche incidents, but are reluctant to televise these special warnings which could prevent further incidents. So many people unaware of the real risk out there right now!
They are, here in Calgary there were several stories on the radio and local TV about the extreme danger in the backcountry right now. Most reports explained that the extended cold weather for 3 weeks and the subsequent heavy snowfall coupled with the now clearer skies might lead to extensive human triggered avy's as people were fresh snow deprived for 3 weeks. The good news is - so far this weekend no casualty reports.

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
There was avy activity the last few days, we all just didn`t hear about it and luckily no one was hurt bad.
Special Warning is still in effect. Heads up.
North Columbia - Monashees and Selkirks : Latest Bulletins : Bulletins : Canadian Avalanche Centre : avalanche.ca

Forecasters Blog Feb. 22
Forecaster Blog - Canadian Avalanche Centre » It Looks Like Scenario Two

The weak layer and the slab are evolving on a daily and sometimes hourly basis so be prepared for surprises. The margins for error and margins of safety you need to allow right now are far greater than what you might think or what you’ve applied in the past. There have been numerous close calls and two fatalities already that are a direct result of the current problems and in my experience, serious and even fatal accidents can and do occur on small, seemingly safe terrain under these kinds of conditions, especially when people underestimate terrain traps.

350summitX

Reaction score
We're thinking of heading down this thursday the 27 and riding for a couple days. Does anyone have an update on the snow conditions, or is it going to be all packed out?

jackinthebox

Reaction score
We're thinking of heading down this thursday the 27 and riding for a couple days. Does anyone have an update on the snow conditions, or is it going to be all packed out?
Bahahahah...
Dude bring a snorkel shovel probe and beacon....its friggin deep...stupid deep
The coquihala which connects the interior to vancouver has been shut down 4-7 times in the last week and a half.It has snowed approx 9ft and highway crews cant keep up,Thats your update.

Top Bottom