Oe vs aftermarket pistons recomendation

OVERKILL

Reaction score
My sled is at 4400km ( 2004 Summit 800 ) and am going to put in some new pistons and rings before she decides to crater on me...Just wondering your guys opinion on putting in OE pistons vs Wiseco's or maybe Wossners I've heard are good?

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
My sled is at 4400km ( 2004 Summit 800 ) and am going to put in some new pistons and rings before she decides to crater on me...Just wondering your guys opinion on putting in OE pistons vs Wiseco's or maybe Wossners I've heard are good?

MCB dual rings were highly spoken of for a long time.

OVERKILL

Reaction score
Dual rings better in your opinion? I've been told I should go with them. Better compression and heat dissipating...

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't put wiseco in, unless you like to sit and let it warm up all the time. They like heat and that's why they have a bad rap guys don't let them warm up enough. Wossners is what I would go for!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
MCB dual rings were highly spoken of for a long time.
Mcb 100 %

Way, way less heat power fade, no more popping when ya shut it off ( sign of heat soak power fade and gas past rings)

Dual rings better in your opinion? I've been told I should go with them. Better compression and heat dissipating...

sent while drinking tea's

OVERKILL

Reaction score
I wouldn't put wiseco in, unless you like to sit and let it warm up all the time. They like heat and that's why they have a bad rap guys don't let them warm up enough. Wossners is what I would go for!

Why do you like the Wossners?

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I only have heard good things about them nothing bad! I put the rk drop in kit and head on my 09 xp which used the wossners piston and that sled ripped! I had the pistons in the for 3500km and still looked brand new when I sold it.

OVERKILL

Reaction score
I only have heard good things about them nothing bad! I put the rk drop in kit and head on my 09 xp which used the wossners piston and that sled ripped! I had the pistons in the for 3500km and still looked brand new when I sold it.

I've heard good things as well with them. Were yours dual ring pistons? I'm pretty new to this stuff...I was told I should put in dual ringed pistons when I get the top end re done. Can I do that if it has single ringed ones right now? (I haven't started taking it apart yet to see what it does have)

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I see you are from Barrhead, that's my home town! Anyway after you get it back together take it into Leduc to mad Motorsports and let Deano modify the power valves to open up earlier. Really wakes the sled up!

OVERKILL

Reaction score
I assume you are able to do that even if the OE's are single ring? Whats the advantage with dual ring?

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wossner are excellent. Reasonably priced too. Dual ring pistons usually will not become heat soaked as quick as single ring. I've installed lots of MCB, SPI, ProX with no issues also. Prefer the Wossner Forged as it is a stronger piston and better build quality. Over 20 sets of these installed now and 0 complaints. Wossner has a slightly thicker skirt which prevents the piston from expanding too quick and seizing like Wiseco is famous for. Having said that, I've used lots of Wiseco and had 0 issues as well, but I don't move my sled at all until fully warmed up, and that' what I try to tell everyone I build engines for. Eveyone sees the guy who stops for hour lunch break or so then fires up the sled once done and pins it wide open up the hill without even warming up.

OVERKILL

Reaction score
Thank you for the good explanation. :) How long generally should a guy let a sled warm up for using the Wossners?

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
My experiences on an Arctic cat, but definitely do a dual ringed piston.

SPI skirts like to crack, very scary when you take it apart.

Weisco like to cold seize, even on the trail if you dip into the powder and sends a shock of cold coolant through the cylinders contract a little and the piston stays expanded.

OE, best all around pistons but expensive.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If oyu have extra money kicking around, get the domes and skirts coated. At least the domes. I did this on all my two stroke rebuilds and believe it helped a lot with heat dissipation, reduced friction and piston life.

Top Bottom