Nytro or Apex ??

SLY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have ridden a few stock Nytro's but mine was boosted right out of the crate. I felt I needed more track and suspension, depends what you want and can afford. I would go with an MCX but would also consider Alpine or Powderlites, the US$ would probably deter me from an Impulse right now. I personally like the MC's as they work very well and have no fuel setup's to worry about, fully automatic altitude and temp compensation and I have ran and installed them since 2005. Base setup is 240hp on pump gas, and you can get an upgrade kit that will go as high as 270 on a stock motor with better fuel(save for next season, LOL) the higher output, the more you are going to want to start upgrading everything else. Boost is defeinitely addictive and I always tell guys to be prepared to spend money before they try a boosted sled......right RN? :d

RaspberryNytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have ridden a few stock Nytro's but mine was boosted right out of the crate. I felt I needed more track and suspension, depends what you want and can afford. I would go with an MCX but would also consider Alpine or Powderlites, the US$ would probably deter me from an Impulse right now. I personally like the MC's as they work very well and have no fuel setup's to worry about, fully automatic altitude and temp compensation and I have ran and installed them since 2005. Base setup is 240hp on pump gas, and you can get an upgrade kit that will go as high as 270 on a stock motor with better fuel(save for next season, LOL) the higher output, the more you are going to want to start upgrading everything else. Boost is defeinitely addictive and I always tell guys to be prepared to spend money before they try a boosted sled......right RN? :d

Ummmmm..............IT'S DEFINITELY ADDICTING.!!!!!! :d
I spent enuff last year to have boost, but now I have ridden it to it's potential without boost, so now it gets the GOODS!!!:beer::)

RN

PS give me a pm when out our way again SLY:d

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Sly...weight of the Apex has me a little worried...do you notice going from a 16" wide track down to a 15"?

All the posts here are basically saying that both sleds are great but everyone is switching over to Nytro's....but I think most people that are switching are not leaving their nytro's stock either...they're either putting tracks on them or turbos or both....are they still a blast stock??

Whatever I get has to stay stock unfortunately...so...Nytro or Apex??:)

You need to wait to buy a sled until you've had a chance to ride both of them. Spend a whole day on each sled to see what you prefer. They could not be more different in their handling.

Good luck!
PistonBroke

Prairie Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My stock Nytro was a BLAST to ride.......wouldn't climb but I didn't buy it for that. The stock rear suspension sucks, not sure if the 09's are recalibrated.

Never rode a stock Apex but idling thru the trees and bondocking when the turbo's not spooled up I found was easier on the Apex.

Its all in how you ride..........if you're a jumper and like playing around get the Nytro. If you want to play around but give your buddies a little competition in highmarking get the Apex.:beer:

The only reason I'm considering going back to a Nytro is because I think it better suits my riding style, otherwise I would stay with the Apex.

theslam19_98

Reaction score
i am looking at these two sled to , now here is the problem i am having i am new to sledding and never done it be for ,so witch one of these would be good all the guys i will be riding with go high marking so . i will be too thanks for the help guys

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My stock Nytro was a BLAST to ride.......wouldn't climb but I didn't buy it for that. The stock rear suspension sucks, not sure if the 09's are recalibrated.

Never rode a stock Apex but idling thru the trees and bondocking when the turbo's not spooled up I found was easier on the Apex.

Its all in how you ride..........if you're a jumper and like playing around get the Nytro. If you want to play around but give your buddies a little competition in highmarking get the Apex.:beer:

The only reason I'm considering going back to a Nytro is because I think it better suits my riding style, otherwise I would stay with the Apex.

I think you nailed it on the head, or at least I think the same way. It's all in your riding style and location of riding. For example, we are riding in the mountains and will be for the most part of each season. When we are home in Red Deer, Caroline is our nearest option for a quick sat ride, small hill, and trails. So basically what a rider must do, is figure out where and what the riding conditions will be like. I'd say a Nytro for local riding, trails, and mountains. It's a crossover sled guy's c'mon it will go anywhere as long as you can hang on. Apex is a climber hands down. If you go boost either sled is gonna take you places you wouldn't have dreamed of... Stock sled $12K Add boost $9K... Go stock for awhile try out the sleds, go boost once you become a decent rider and want more than the average riding experience will offer... Everyone has an opinion, I think one will just have to dive in... My 2 Cents anyway lol... WHERE IS THE FRIGGIN SNOW GUYS?

P.S. Add the ice scrathers for trail riding with a MTN sled. Your pocket book will thank you lol. Seen way to many guys burn up sliders on the trail with their huge 162 tracks and not enough deep snow.

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Sly...weight of the Apex has me a little worried...do you notice going from a 16" wide track down to a 15"?

All the posts here are basically saying that both sleds are great but everyone is switching over to Nytro's....but I think most people that are switching are not leaving their nytro's stock either...they're either putting tracks on them or turbos or both....are they still a blast stock??

Whatever I get has to stay stock unfortunately...so...Nytro or Apex??:)

I will post pics of my Apex Seat and Exhaust mod soon. These two mods will incredibly shave nearly 40lbs off my Apex. One can go further with suspension, tunnel and skid mods. My budget this yr is blown for my sled so a seat and exhaust mod is what i'm doing and 40lbs off is a good thing. I will have a stock Apex MTN seat and Exhaust for sale soon if anyone is interested in replacement parts for their Apex... If you cannot afford boost, go with Nos for now. I think next season Boost will be in my budget... Sure love the sound and power gains from Boost...

Raz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think you nailed it on the head, or at least I think the same way. It's all in your riding style and location of riding. For example, we are riding in the mountains and will be for the most part of each season. When we are home in Red Deer, Caroline is our nearest option for a quick sat ride, small hill, and trails. So basically what a rider must do, is figure out where and what the riding conditions will be like. I'd say a Nytro for local riding, trails, and mountains. It's a crossover sled guy's c'mon it will go anywhere as long as you can hang on. Apex is a climber hands down. If you go boost either sled is gonna take you places you wouldn't have dreamed of... Stock sled $12K Add boost $9K... Go stock for awhile try out the sleds, go boost once you become a decent rider and want more than the average riding experience will offer... Everyone has an opinion, I think one will just have to dive in... My 2 Cents anyway lol... WHERE IS THE FRIGGIN SNOW GUYS?

P.S. Add the ice scrathers for trail riding with a MTN sled. Your pocket book will thank you lol. Seen way to many guys burn up sliders on the trail with their huge 162 tracks and not enough deep snow.

If we had snow, you guys wouldn't be here answering my questions!
Ok it can snow now!:d

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If we had snow, you guys wouldn't be here answering my questions!
Ok it can snow now!:d

LMAO thanks! I'm glad you decided to open the snow gates finally! hehe. Did you decide on a sled yet?

Raz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LMAO thanks! I'm glad you decided to open the snow gates finally! hehe. Did you decide on a sled yet?

Snow's comin...they have a tiny bit in Calgary and it's bloody cold here in Edmonton with the wind...

I think I'm going to try out an Apex this year since I plan on leaving it stock...the only thing I might do is the seat and exhaust but that will probably be next year.

How long should a turbo'd sled go before it needs tuning?

Raz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well guys...I bought an Apex this week even though you all had me convinced to get a Nytro. Bought a 2006 Apex Mtn with 1000k for 6900 but it needs a new track-only about 40 lugs missing! :d What a difference from my 04 summit 600....one of the reasons I went 4 stroke-You can't even tell I rode it when I get in the house or truck-I'll be without the 2 stroke cologne from now on!!:cool:

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well guys...I bought an Apex this week even though you all had me convinced to get a Nytro. Bought a 2006 Apex Mtn with 1000k for 6900 but it needs a new track-only about 40 lugs missing! :d What a difference from my 04 summit 600....one of the reasons I went 4 stroke-You can't even tell I rode it when I get in the house or truck-I'll be without the 2 stroke cologne from now on!!:cool:

Welcome to the Dark side. Congrats on your purchase. I'm hauling my apex up to Tachycardia performance this weekend for some weight loss and exhaust upgrades... Should be 40 lbs lighter after the mods.... I'll post pics as soon as shes ready.... Where are your pics man...

Also shes puking white in Red Deer today WOOHOOOO LET IT SNOW...

Raz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Dark side. Congrats on your purchase. I'm hauling my apex up to Tachycardia performance this weekend for some weight loss and exhaust upgrades... Should be 40 lbs lighter after the mods.... I'll post pics as soon as shes ready.... Where are your pics man...

Also shes puking white in Red Deer today WOOHOOOO LET IT SNOW...

Ya...I'm gonna need to lose some weight too I think...I'm a little worried to get her stuck in the mountains....Have to buy a bigger shovel I guess or not get stuck! I'll post a pic this afternoon! Your track stock still?

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya...I'm gonna need to lose some weight too I think...I'm a little worried to get her stuck in the mountains....Have to buy a bigger shovel I guess or not get stuck! I'll post a pic this afternoon! Your track stock still?

Stuck whats that... Lol just pinner and yu wont get stuck ha ha.. Yup still stock track 162"x16"x2.25" with 0 KM on the sled... Been dying to get out man, just dying lol... Finally snowing good now.... Gonna be heading to Kooteneys for some xmas mountain riding, then gonna be in Crows nest pass for Jan 30- Feb 2 for a fun ride weekend.... Give mea shout or pm if your interested in some BC riding...

farmer4ever

Reaction score
Congrats on the new sled RAZ! I think you'll be happy with it. I ride with a guy with an Apex and a guy with a Nytro and the bicker back and forth all day at wich one is better. I personally prefer the Apex simply because of the front end. It's predictable, where as I found the Nytro keeps your hands full. Both great sleds though. Enjoy!

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Raz! Just took the Apex out around the block and through the field! 4" of snow and growing.....

Raz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Raz! Just took the Apex out around the block and through the field! 4" of snow and growing.....

Ya I had mine out tonight too...we have a couple fields here that are pretty smooth...I had it up to 132km but ran out of field....you have issues with your high beam pointing at the moon?? It's quite useless!

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I had mine out tonight too...we have a couple fields here that are pretty smooth...I had it up to 132km but ran out of field....you have issues with your high beam pointing at the moon?? It's quite useless!

Oh man tonight was such a tease! My high beams are aligned decently being a new sled. You might need to align you high beams. I used my high beams to shine on the gate lock for the wife to open it lol I couldn't run more than 300 ft then ran outta room. I'm downtown Red Deer man, so limited where I live, had to run it up in the community park tonight ha ha ha I'm sure I pissed off a few neighbors with the way this four banger sounds. Gonna be louder after Sunday when Tachycardia Performance is done with it lol. Post some pics man, ttys.

Raz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh man tonight was such a tease! My high beams are aligned decently being a new sled. You might need to align you high beams. I used my high beams to shine on the gate lock for the wife to open it lol I couldn't run more than 300 ft then ran outta room. I'm downtown Red Deer man, so limited where I live, had to run it up in the community park tonight ha ha ha I'm sure I pissed off a few neighbors with the way this four banger sounds. Gonna be louder after Sunday when Tachycardia Performance is done with it lol. Post some pics man, ttys.

It was snowing tonight and was dark by the time I got home from work-I'll take some in the morning. Careful riding in town....I've done it once before and had a visit from the mounties..neighbor called them...wasn't hard to find me...just had to follow the tracks! :)

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It was snowing tonight and was dark by the time I got home from work-I'll take some in the morning. Careful riding in town....I've done it once before and had a visit from the mounties..neighbor called them...wasn't hard to find me...just had to follow the tracks! :)

Yeah Don't need the fuzz here lol My track are all covered in now, still snowing here going on 5 inches and counting!:snow:

Top Bottom