Nytro or Apex ??

Raz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, looking for some advice.

I currently ride a Summit 600 144, mostly ride around Edmonton....need to get into a cleaner burning sled(4 stroke) for my son's health condition....ok I may just want a new sled too...

All the guys I ride with have 600 or 700 cc sleds and mostly like to boondock and play in the trees-no highmarking..

I love the sound of the Apex Mtx but my conscience is telling me a Nytro Mtx may be more suitable.

Is an Apex Mtx more of a straight up and down sled...should I get a Nytro??

Will I be happy with a Nytro in the mountains or wish I had purchased the Apex??????:confused:

GRD

Reaction score

I currently ride a Summit 600 144, mostly ride around Edmonton....need to get into a cleaner burning sled(4 stroke) for my son's health condition....ok I may just want a new sled too...

All the guys I ride with have 600 or 700 cc sleds and mostly like to boondock and play in the trees-no highmarking..

I love the sound of the Apex Mtx but my conscience is telling me a Nytro Mtx may be more suitable.

Will I be happy with a Nytro in the mountains or wish I had purchased the Apex??????:confused:

Don't know much about either, but should get some good info from peeps here!

thebigm

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.eagleriver.ca
Both machines are great sleds. I have a 2008 Nytro MTX. Absoultely love this sled. Its great for boondocking hillclimbing, with a big weight advantage over the apex. One of the best engines in sleding if you ask me, loads of torque stock and awesome throttle response. I put 1600kms on my last season without a hiccup. Did some mods to start this year, here's a pic of black betty.:beer::beer:

:thumbsup2:

Attachments

• Nytro.jpg
    Nytro.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 63

NM

Boost It - Fuel your Boost
Reaction score

If you want a semi-stock setup then I would say go with the Nytro and install a 162 Challenger track. You would need Apex rails and use some 8 inch wheels to remove the kick of the rails. There is no need to even change the tunnel or ad an extention. The sled would do everything you want while being quiet, good on fuel, and no smell in the trailer. The Apex is a good sled, but the Nytro would be better suited too your riding style.

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Id rather boondock a apex! Stk nytro's dont go that great in the tree's.

Raz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys...I didn't mention in the original post...but after sinking a crap load of cash into a new sled...if the boss gives me the go ahead...I'd like to just keep it stock and be happy....none of this clutching, changing this and that....don't have the time or the wallet! :)

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get the nytro, huge weight difference, you'll never regret it.

Boosted Apex

Reaction score
Apex is the way to go, Weight's really are that big of difference, stock to stock the Apex in the deep with hands down handle better, but that's my opinion..

Raz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This sounds like a someone will be getting a new sled... fess up Dave!

LMAO....hey Greg...Im crossing my fingers! Im definitely leaning towards a Apex...first sled I bought was a touring sled since I thought it was the responsible thing to do since I needed something for my wife and I....boy did I regret it...then when I was ready to buy a quad, I didn't want to repeat the same mistake..went for the biggest, baddest quad(Popo 700EFI)-no regrets with that purchase.

Lots of new 2008 apex's out there for 11,000 instead of 15,000.....I'd rather find a gently used apex for under 10,000 but I think that may be an oxymoron...keep the suggestions coming guys-I really appreciate it.

Raz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Apex is the way to go, Weight's really are that big of difference, stock to stock the Apex in the deep with hands down handle better, but that's my opinion..

No problems playing in the trees?? Those dang trees tend to jump out of nowhere!

Apex06

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i like my apex so much i put a 162 track on it from a 121 style.
Never ridden a nytro but i do have a phazer i would drive my apex any time.

Prairie Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a Nytro last year then sold it in March and bought a T-Apex. I've never rode a stock Apex so I can't compare them stock vs stock. I think if you're boondocking you'll be happy with either. The Nytro I found was like a Rev where there's a point of no return when laying it over and the front end will just dive in and you're on your side. The Apex is more forgiving, more predictable.

I found in the trees the Apex stays on top of the snow way better especially at slow speeds where the Nytro will literally push snow.

The Nytro was a freakin blast to ride. They are both very well balanced so you don't notice the extra weight difference.....until you get them stuck but what sled isn't heavy when stuck.

As awesome as the Apex is, I'm selling it and going back to the Nytro with some BOOST. Stock vs stock I would think the Apex would hand the Nytro its a** but like I said, I've never been on a stock Apex. My Nytro was an okay climber stock.

You won't go wrong with either. My .02:beer:

SLY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had both. The Apex has more flotation and has more predictable, slower handling. The Nytro took me a little while to get used to as it is a very responsive sled and handles similar to a Rev. I put a bigger track on mine as I had a turbo. I will be riding a Nytro again this year. My son had a very nice Apex last season with a 300hp turbo and full Timbersled suspension, it handled like a dream. He is also going to be riding a Nytro this season. Lots of people bought the Nytro last year and ran it stock, I don't know anyone that wasn't happy with it. If you are looking for a sled in the 135hp class the Nytro is a great sled. The Apex is definitely more powerful but is also heavier. Both sleds are super reliable.

Raz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had both. The Apex has more flotation and has more predictable, slower handling. The Nytro took me a little while to get used to as it is a very responsive sled and handles similar to a Rev. I put a bigger track on mine as I had a turbo. I will be riding a Nytro again this year. My son had a very nice Apex last season with a 300hp turbo and full Timbersled suspension, it handled like a dream. He is also going to be riding a Nytro this season. Lots of people bought the Nytro last year and ran it stock, I don't know anyone that wasn't happy with it. If you are looking for a sled in the 135hp class the Nytro is a great sled. The Apex is definitely more powerful but is also heavier. Both sleds are super reliable.

Thanks Sly...weight of the Apex has me a little worried...do you notice going from a 16" wide track down to a 15"?

All the posts here are basically saying that both sleds are great but everyone is switching over to Nytro's....but I think most people that are switching are not leaving their nytro's stock either...they're either putting tracks on them or turbos or both....are they still a blast stock??

Whatever I get has to stay stock unfortunately...so...Nytro or Apex??:)

RaspberryNytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
in my opinion, the Apex is an older style riding position than the Nytro(yes....... have ridden both) The Nytro has the same riding position as the Rev's & the transition from sitting to standing is very minimal. The Nyto is as easy to "flick" around or easier than an XP........ (yes, I've ridden that one too) It's all in the rider & how he/she rides that machine. I have chatted with guys that say the Nytro is too "tippy" & wants to fall over too easy. Yup, it does if you're used to riding the older style machines that don't have the rider-forward style. I love the easier riding of the Nytro in the flats, the hills, the trees. It's a great machine that'll do everything you need it to......... but not a hill-climbing monster without BOOST!!!.:d
Good luck

RN

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've only had limited time on a Apex, but from looking and knowing owners I'd go with the Nytro.

The Apex is good if you are capable of throwing your weight around a lot, but if you aren't it's a handful!

I couldn't ride the apex very well other than in deep snow, and then I didn't dare stop.

Raz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK....you guys all have me sold on a Nytro!

Now....IF I wanted to add boost....what type....how much.... and does it stop there? Will I then need a 162" track...and clutching and so on???

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK....you guys all have me sold on a Nytro!

Now....IF I wanted to add boost....what type....how much.... and does it stop there? Will I then need a 162" track...and clutching and so on???

Never stops till theres not a stock bolt on it :d as for the Apex vs Nytro have rode both now stock and turbo'd. I'm a big guy 6"4 270 and I'll have a hard time switching to nytro because I can really work the big machine (luv it). Nytro felt very similar to rev and is probably a way to go for most guys with boost. I wouldn't ride either without boost. If your going stock but an XP have rode it too liked it more than nytro..... As for turbos Alpine front mount, or MCXpress rear are my two pics.:Cool9:

Top Bottom