Nytro MTX Vs. 800 Dragon

JTP

Reaction score
I just picked up an 08 nytro MTX 153 and I was wondering how it would run with the 09 Dragon 800 RMK 155. Most of the riding is in the flats. but I do ride with a couple dragons in the mountains also. Both the Nytro and Dragons are stock. If i need to be doing some moding what do you guys think the best options are?

bigdawg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should also look at dropping about 100 Ibs of the Yammi before you take a run at a dragon........I had a Turbo Yammi......and know i Have a Turbo Dragon....I ran the dragon stock to brake in motor.....and i played with a couple Nytro's they had lots of trouble running up to getting close to my makes.......Just my 2 cents.....

Washy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should also look at dropping about 100 Ibs of the Yammi before you take a run at a dragon........I had a Turbo Yammi......and know i Have a Turbo Dragon....I ran the dragon stock to brake in motor.....and i played with a couple Nytro's they had lots of trouble running up to getting close to my makes.......Just my 2 cents.....

Ya the Nytro will not keep up stock for stock but turbo for turbo not even close!!!!!!!!! Turbo Nytro spanks Turbo dragon all day long.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya the Nytro will not keep up stock for stock but turbo for turbo not even close!!!!!!!!! Turbo Nytro spanks Turbo dragon all day long.

Most definitely. However even stock, the dragon will get out in front but be patient on the yammi cause that dragon is bound to blow up, and when it does just ride on by with a smirk on ur face:d

bigdawg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

T-Nytro......this winter you me Denis Blaine will go to Valumount and Run some shouts.......I would like to see you Spank me all day Long.....P.S Boost to Boost set them at 12 Ibs and lets get at it..................

Washy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
T-Nytro......this winter you me Denis Blaine will go to Valumount and Run some shouts.......I would like to see you Spank me all day Long.....P.S Boost to Boost set them at 12 Ibs and lets get at it..................

SURE Hell Ya I'm in. Sounds like a good time. I knew that would get you fired up. That was too easy. It is summer after all.

bigdawg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
SURE Hell Ya I'm in. Sounds like a good time. I knew that would get you fired up. That was too easy. It is summer after all.

T..............lol.......Ya we will hook this year and do some sledding.......will be fun.....Next time you see Denny punch right in the head....from BD........lol:d:d

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just picked up an 08 nytro MTX 153 and I was wondering how it would run with the 09 Dragon 800 RMK 155. Most of the riding is in the flats. but I do ride with a couple dragons in the mountains also. Both the Nytro and Dragons are stock. If i need to be doing some moding what do you guys think the best options are?

ya, the simmons are awesome, we run the rapid bike programer from powder lites, and also the shock wave secondary, the rapid bike wakes the nytro up big time and the shock wave makes it really easy to play with the rpm... it eats up the stock apex big time.

worth the investment, plus if u do decide to turbo it, the rapid bike is programmable for the turbo and the shock wave secondary still works good.

Terry

saz

Reaction score
rapid bike programer, are they easy to use?? who sells them? How much do they wake a 2008 nytro up, do you need to run a o2 sensor?
thanks

Reaction score
rapid bike programer, are they easy to use?? who sells them? How much do they wake a 2008 nytro up, do you need to run a o2 sensor?
thanks
Dave at Powder Lites sells them and uses Tuning Bike to set them up for your sled. They suggest 15hp on an Apex but were skeptical about what a Nytro would gain. Unless there is an O2 sensor in there already the Nytro only gets it with boost.
Not sure what the Dragon is running at 12psi but PL claims 270@12psi. Could be a handfull for the T Dragon.

Reaction score
Rode my '08 MTX first year stock. Was not in the same league as any 2stroke 800 in the mountains. With the Maverick it was very disappointing to say the least. I'm not sure there is much you can do short of boosting it that would allow you to stay with 800 RMK. Mind you, you will very likely still have your original engine long after the RMK is in the scrapper.

yami

Reaction score
Dave at Powder Lites sells them and uses Tuning Bike to set them up for your sled. They suggest 15hp on an Apex but were skeptical about what a Nytro would gain. Unless there is an O2 sensor in there already the Nytro only gets it with boost.
Not sure what the Dragon is running at 12psi but PL claims 270@12psi. Could be a handfull for the T Dragon.

dave always claims big dyno #'s but powder lite nytros DONT make 270hp at 12#s or at least they dont go like they do

chem

Reaction score
Rode my '08 MTX first year stock. Was not in the same league as any 2stroke 800 in the mountains. With the Maverick it was very disappointing to say the least. I'm not sure there is much you can do short of boosting it that would allow you to stay with 800 RMK. Mind you, you will very likely still have your original engine long after the RMK is in the scrapper.

I couldn't agree more with this comment. I've ridden a stock 08 MTX for two seasons and it simply can't compete with the 800's on the big hills. However, when playing in the meadows, the Yami is as much or even more fun than the other sleds. The Nytro excels at boondocking, but climbing is another matter all together.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
You might want to contact raspberrynytro on this site, as he had a stock nytro that he changed the track on and put a motorbike exhaust on, and he was hanging with most 800's.... I believe he was going to turbo it for this season, so he could really go with it......

Big A

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the stock Nytro, the best investment you can make is to shed some weight. Start with exhaust, gains power and sheds big pounds, add a programmer (recomend Rapid Bike), grab the K&N filter set up, and your ready to hang with most 800's. If you want to shed serious weight, the rear skid is probably the next best place to look, maybe a timbersled or KMOD GenII. But, regardless of how much you spend on a stock sled, it will never outperform a new 800, sorry, but for that we need boost. If your serious about more power and want something extremely reliable and user friendly, the MPI stage 1 supercharger is the way to go, I've got mine running 12psi and she runs like a top, heading to my third year with it. Good lick and enjoy the season.

RaspberryNytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You might want to contact raspberrynytro on this site, as he had a stock nytro that he changed the track on and put a motorbike exhaust on, and he was hanging with most 800's.... I believe he was going to turbo it for this season, so he could really go with it......

Thanks Ric,
I had the tunnel,track & exhaust changed out before it had 2km on it so can't compare to a stock one. My "builder" installed a Yosh street bike muffler & had it tunnel dump so I could still carry a 5 gal jerry can. The problem I founf with the K&N filter is that the paper element inside will freeze up on cold days(because of the rear exhaust ) on my turbo. Now I have switched to a "trash can" instake & have my exhaust tunnel dumping again. The RB3 box from Dave seems to be easy enuff to tune if you have the right guys on it as we had to update it a few times last year due to Dave's testing(he really stays on top of things) I absolutely loved the sled before it was turbo'd, but never really got a chance to ride much last year with it boosted. I did some clutching mods & had it dialed in to where it hung pretty close with the 800's, but never could highmark them. Not really what I bought it for though.......most fun I've had on a sled in years!!!!:d

RN

Top Bottom