NWR - Sturgeon Refinery producing diesel! Will prices drop??

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was in Berlin last summer for a couple weeks visiting my daughter who had a summer student position with the Institute of Advanced Sustainability Studies in Potsdam (Google it if you want - I am sure it will really annoy you). The Germans are doing very well and have no complaints about their power prices. The average person on the street (well in the bars and cafes which was where I chatted with most of them) seems particularly proud and supportive of the direction they are going.

But once again, the thread is about the Sturgeon refinery which can Alberta's raw bitumen stock and turn it into a useful and valuable resource while having the lowest carbon footprint of anything comparable. I think that is a good thing as I also think wind power and solar energy are good things. While we have lots of bitumen, it is a finite resource whereas wind and power do not.

You seem unaware of the billions of dollars of federal and provincial money went into the development of key portions of the technology that makes the oilsands work which were then turned over to the energy companies for use. I doubt the alternative energy sector will ever get that amount of investment and if they do, it is because someday oil will be too expensive to casually burn as we do today. Certainly not in my lifetime and maybe not in yours but that day will come. I certainly hope they have a number of things to replace it.

So you’re saying that the GOVERNMENT developed the technology for the oil sands and then donated it to the oil companies?? And I’m sure if you went to a Starbucks in Banff and asked people what they thought of Alberta’s renewables you’d get an answer that was accurate.
Youre right, the thread is about the new refinery. It’s good to see a new refinery in Alberta that will process Alberta oil. Unfortunately the price of motor fuels has and will be set by the big boys. The new refinery will either play along or be forced into bankruptcy.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• B3BF9E74-5544-49D8-9C0F-83E92276BB41.jpeg
    B3BF9E74-5544-49D8-9C0F-83E92276BB41.jpeg
    82 KB · Views: 160

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As I once worked in Alberta Treasury Finance Department.

Ha I now better understand your liberal / tree hugger / social justice stance in many of your posts, you work or worked for the government, lol. Good to have your opinions voiced though helps me understand how the left thinks.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ha I now better understand your liberal / tree hugger / social justice stance in many of your posts, you work or worked for the government, lol. Good to have your opinions voiced though helps me understand how the left thinks.
Haha. Apparently you don't. I have however worked in Treasury during three of the Klein years and saw what he did well. Met him on several occasions and he was a great guy. I have always been conservative but keep my eyes open and research before I post.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haha. Apparently you don't. I have however worked in Treasury during three of the Klein years and saw what he did well. Met him on several occasions and he was a great guy. I have always been conservative but keep my eyes open and research before I post.

Ha is right what you type and what you imply are two different things which you tend to do when challenged over your posts, typical bureaucrat or hypocrit... you can pick.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ha is right what you type and what you imply are two different things which you tend to do when challenged over your posts, typical bureaucrat or hypocrit... you can pick.
Classy, name calling because someone has a different opinion than you.
You re right we should all think the same way, life would be so simple.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3.8 litres in a US gallon. Canadian dollar is 3.8 litres in a US gallon. Canadian dollar is $1.25 US so $2.20 X 1.25 ÷ 3.8 = .72 cents Canadian per litre. Filled up tonight at $1.03 per litre before carbon tax increase so would be $3.94 per US gallon in Canadian funds or $2.94 US. About 35 % higher in Canada for a litre of fuel. I think the math works but a couple rums into the New year eve.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3.8 litres in a US gallon. Canadian dollar is 3.8 litres in a US gallon. Canadian dollar is $1.25 US so $2.20 X 1.25 ÷ 3.8 = .72 cents Canadian per litre. Filled up tonight at $1.03 per litre before carbon tax increase so would be $3.94 per US gallon in Canadian funds or $2.94 US. About 35 % higher in Canada for a litre of fuel. I think the math works but a couple rums into the New year eve.

LOL, Your calculations are skewed. . $2.20 x $1.00 divided by 3.8 = $.57 cents a litre .
Compared to. $4.55 x $1.00 divided by 4.5 = $1.01 a litre.

Last edited:

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So you use the US dollar in Canada? It is .578 USD per litre. I assume that since the sign was in the United States, they were using US dollars so you would need to convert to CDN $ to compare would you not? Saw $1.06 per litre after carbon tax increase in Edmonton this AM.

LOL, Your calculations are skewed. . $2.20 x $1.00 divided by 3.8 = $.57 cents a litre .
Compared to. $4.55 x $1.00 divided by 4.5 = $1.01 a litre.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So you use the US dollar in Canada? It is .578 USD per litre. I assume that since the sign was in the United States, they were using US dollars so you would need to convert to CDN $ to compare would you not? Saw $1.06 per litre after carbon tax increase in Edmonton this AM.

They get paid in US dollars and spent that dollar in the US, same as we do. Gotta keep it relative .

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just drove through Washington and filled up twice. Average price for regular was 91 cents per liter in CDN $.

Right now in Fernie, the price is $1.28...40% higher than the price in Washington.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just drove through Washington and filled up twice. Average price for regular was 91 cents per liter in CDN $.

Right now in Fernie, the price is $1.28...40% higher than the price in Washington.
So in theory with NAFTA/free trade why can't I order a semi of diesel or gas from the states?

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So in theory with NAFTA/free trade why can't I order a semi of diesel or gas from the states?

'Cause the tax man demands his share. Same reason you can't order a pallet of Kokanee and a pallet of Copenhagen.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You can. You just have to pay all the taxes when it hits the border. Gst, pst, road tax on the fuel, carbon tax etc etc etc. That 40% will get eaten up pretty quick. But don’t worry, Rachel notley was on tv yesterday. She’s doing everything right and all is well.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can. You just have to pay all the taxes when it hits the border. Gst, pst, road tax on the fuel, carbon tax etc etc etc. That 40% will get eaten up pretty quick. But don’t worry, Rachel notley was on tv yesterday. She’s doing everything right and all is well.
What a bitch.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Took a quick look at the taxes in a litre of gas.

Alberta is 17.5 cents (incl carbon tax) plus Federal Excise tax of 10 cents so 27.5 cents plus GST of 5% on the entire amount
BC is 21 cents (including carbon tax plus 10 cents Federal Excise tax of 10% then 5% GST on everything

So about 35% of the price is taxes of one sort or another.

According to a Washington State website, they charge 67.8 cents per gallon so that works out to 17.8 cents per litre on a retail price of $3.31 per gallon which works out to .87 per litre all in USD. Exchange that to Canadian dollars for a proper comparison multiply by 1.25 = $1.087 (rounded up - ) per litre.

$1.039 in Sherwood Park today to $1.069 out by my place so we seem to be close. I imagine some of the difference for fuel in Fernie is to get it there from the nearest refinery which is either Edmonton or Burnaby.

BTW, Western Canadian Select crude is discounted and as at today, is at $38.69 US ($48.36 Canadian) per barrel so there is a 30% discount on the price because, in large part, we can't get the stock out of Alberta.

This is why I am happy to see this refinery come on line.

Here are the websites I used because I know this will be challenged :)

http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/energy/fuel-prices/18885
https://dor.wa.gov/motor-vehicle-fuel-tax-rates
http://blogs.seattletimes.com/today/2013/11/average-price-of-gas-in-washington-3-31/
http://www.oilsandsmagazine.com/projects/canadian-refineries

Last edited:
Top Bottom