Nos

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol ok speaking from my "experience" with nitrous injected sleds. its perfectly fine to buy a nitrous machine. but it can also not be a good thing depending on how the owner took care of it.

nitrous doesnt actually hurt the motor if he ran high quality fuels. the only time you are going to have a problematic motor with nitrous is when it starts to detonate.

so buy looking at the pistons you will be able to see pits in the top. and like mentioned if you cans ee the sidewall of the piston usually there will be some scoring when the debris gets by.
if anything else make sure the crank bearings are ok.

we have been running nitrous in 4 of our machines for about 3 years now.

each year after running 30+ bottles through each motor they are always the same compression or within 10% of when we started. ( new rings every season for fun)

i run a mix of good race fuel to ensure i dont get an detonation. might want to ask the guy about that. some say you dont need to but it hasnt let me down yet.

catsass

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good answer, even a sled without nitrous that uses poor fuel wiil detonate and cause trouble so nitrous is not a bad thing. What set up do you run ?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
very true. i run the boondocker system with adjustable regulator. best investment ever.
quick question if you don't mind, does the nitrous inject for as long as you hold the button? is there a time limit for how long you can keep it down without damage? I've seen a few split cases from happy button usage, is it the regulator that prevents damage?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well once again depends on the fuel. if im running a 1/4 mix race fuel i never hold it longer than 8 seconds. i would say the longest i have ever held it down was 10 seconds. as long as the button is down nitrous and fuel are being injected.

keep in mind im running anywhere from 15-40hp shots. nothing crazy like some guys injecting into the 50+hp range.
normal climbing and riding you very rarely hold it for very long. most spurts are 2-3 seconds max....

ive had all these mmotors apart (doos) and havent seen ANY damage from nitrous use at a bottle a day. with anywhere from 3-10second bursts.

all the regulator does is adjust your shot Hp aswell as keeps a steady conststant stream of nitrous flowing. no matter of bottle pressure and temperature it always makes sure your shot is consistant until you run out.

we installed a new motor in our mod 800HO at the beggining of the season and used ALOT of nitrous through it this season at around 40HP and when we removed the motor this spring we were amazed at how well it looked. almost new.

i could see cases splitting from excessive RPM maybe. if your dont have the clutching down and you hit the button your rpm jumps to 8800 and for an extended period of time at increased Hp levels that could be dangerous.

run good fuels.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hmmm

by winter they will be....

2001- 151

2002 - 159

2004 - 151

2008 stock 154.

and im sure my friend with an xp 146 will be on the juice once his warranty is gone hahahahaha

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nitrous doesnt actually hurt the motor if he ran high quality fuels. the only time you are going to have a problematic motor with nitrous is when it starts to detonate

I'll just add to this statement that you can hurt the motor by going to lean as well, depending on the system type. A dry nitrous system only adds NOS, while the wet system adds NOS + fuel. Dry kits suck and are very hard to tune (well, actually they are easy to tune but usually you burn down the motor every week....) so that the sled runs consistent. Typically you have to jet rich for the added NOS, but then your sled runs rich most of the time except when you are on the juice.

Wet kits are far better (ones like Maxwell describes). I remember carrying 5 bottles to the hills just for testing and setup alone on a brand new ZRT 600 with a NOS brand dry kit. The wet kits are pretty much standard now but keep in mind there are still a few dry kits out there.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah forgot to mention that.

i supose since it seems to be the industry standard now it never even came to mind.

i was skeptical ( and others ) as to how well the "float bowl pressurization" worked with the boondocker and cold fusion? kits. butt cant complain

Top Bottom