Nordegg Area Camping & ATV

JimmyFlynt

Reaction score
heading out for a camping trip for a week and am looking for information on areas to camp where we can ride in the nordegg area. been to the area before on some of the trails but this time we are bringing the lil guy ( 4 year old ) and need an area for him, such as a lake or slow river and what not. thinking of either saunders area or upper shundra. any info would be great. also been thinking maybe down by tay river or seven mile area - again been there but not with a lil one and any ideas or spots would be great thanks.

yzgirl09

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Upper Shunda is a great area to camp I would say - trails throughout that area can be good for almost any rider level. My Dad owns and operates Coliseum Mountain Resort just up the road from the Shunda Campground, I will be headed there the Aug long weekend. Its relatively close and within riding distance from Fish Lake, however you can camp right at Fish lake as well. Trails run north and south of HWY 11, if you need to know anything else let me know, I am quite familiar with the Nordegg area, however I have only camped in the Shunda campground while my Dad's resort was being built but I have done a fair bit of riding throughout the area.

JimmyFlynt

Reaction score
Coliseum resort are you able to ride in and out from camp? Fish lake i heard there was no ATV access? we will be up there the last week of this month in to the long weekend.

yzgirl09

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From either Coliseum Resort or Shunda Campground, yes you can ride out. You can follow Shunda Creek Road out of the campground left, past Coliseum Mountain Resort and before the road bends down to the Hostil there is a trail that opens up there and from there you can go anywhere, if you don't take the first trail headin north up Baldy mountain it will take you to the Trunk Road which you can follow North/South and trails open up all over. I like to take the Trunk Road south, cross HWY 11 and keep following Tunk Road, eventually there are trails that interesect and go forever up and down a cutline, pretty high traffic area on long weekends tho and lots of Rangers. But from my experience in Nordegg there is always lots of places to explore, just bring lots of gas and a gps and your good to go!

honda75

Reaction score
Watch out in that Nordegg country though. I got a ticket on the long weekend coming off a cutline off the Trunk Road that I assumed was a trail. I argued to be let off (the cutline wasn't signed) - but they said I had to follow the Bighorn map.

They have really clamped down out there. If you don't want the hassle of having to know where you are, Tay might be better - no FLUZ there.

Safari Guy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.wildkakwasafari.com
Not having a map is the poorest excuse for not wanting a ticket,,,,,,,, they are everywhere,,, even on the net. so get a map and don't make excuses is the best way to go. But having a 4 year old is not a great idea. You run the chance of having an accedent if you have to hang on to the little one should he fall asleep while riding. And a helmet causes neck damage from the wieght,,,,
http://www.wildkakwasafari.com

JimmyFlynt

Reaction score
no no - mentioned the 4 yr old for ideas on where to stay to keep him busy with other things, like a beach or slow river, trees, etc. - not riding on the quad. he has a other lil toys to ride for now anyways

honda75

Reaction score
Fair comment Safari. I picked up the Bighorn Map and its good that the Gov is finally investing some resources in this. The couple of blowout maps are OK, but the rest are pretty hopeless. Trying to figure out which cutline is which on something that's 1 to a million scale or whatever is a challenge.

Seems like good trail markers around the Bighorn dam, but around Nordegg the trails that are shown as open to us on the map are only a fraction of the ones out there. I don't want to get burned again. Hopefully they'll improve signage and produce some decent scale maps.

Dunbow

Reaction score
From either Coliseum Resort or Shunda Campground, yes you can ride out. You can follow Shunda Creek Road out of the campground left, past Coliseum Mountain Resort and before the road bends down to the Hostil there is a trail that opens up there and from there you can go anywhere, if you don't take the first trail headin north up Baldy mountain it will take you to the Trunk Road which you can follow North/South and trails open up all over. I like to take the Trunk Road south, cross HWY 11 and keep following Tunk Road, eventually there are trails that interesect and go forever up and down a cutline, pretty high traffic area on long weekends tho and lots of Rangers. But from my experience in Nordegg there is always lots of places to explore, just bring lots of gas and a gps and your good to go!
We just spent a week in the area camping at Fish Lake, and further south at Swan lake. All the provincial campgrounds do not alow ATVs in the PRA's, you have to trailer out or take a chance on a $287.00 fine. It was a bit of a pain, we pull the trailer with the motorhome, had to pack up to get out. It was great once we got out. This information was from one of the Conservation Officers.

bounce_manca

Reaction score
hey there. i have a 3 year old that likes to quad with dad. we have a full face helmet and she likes it alot. there is a really cool harness that you can get from a company right here in albera. it comes out of st albert. Child Riding Belt Index Page is the link. a pretty cool idea and i have mine on order. a family friend had this for his grand children and it worked very well. you still have to temper your riding for the little ones but it gets them out, gives them an appreciation for the sport and also some quality time with dad....

mr_dan

Reaction score
We went down to Nordegg in July 09, there's no ATV on the provincial campgrounds, but we found an interesting spot. If you turn left heading to Fish Lake campground, right after you turn you'll see an opening to the left, there's a big field there, you can random camp there, and ride right from your campsite. And we took our 5 and 3 year old kids, climed all the way to the top of Baldy mountain, and they loved it, it was beautiful and breathtaking. The trip was around 6 hours long. It was safe and not difficult.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am almost 100% sure you can ride your ATV's in and out of the Shunda Campground, I know the owners, and our resort is just down the road and there are people riding in and out ALL the time, in fact before our resort was built I stayed there a few times and we rode quads and bikes in and out....never heard anything about it not being allowed...but this is a privately owned campground..I do not beleive it is considered a provincial one like the Fish Lake and other spots...

skibeadoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You may want to try going to the Big Horn damn. I completed some work on the 15 km of road going in there. If anyone has seen the work done let me know if it is ok for you. I put up some orange flags for some of the culverts so they are more visible. Thanks,

Top Bottom