no start issue with my 2011 m8 hcr

mallard d69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ran fine the last time i used it, now it tries to start on the first pull but thats it. pull till you arm blows out and it wont start plugs are soaked in gas each plug wire does have spark but that doesn't mean its a strong spark...

take the plugs out burn the gas off them, burn the gas out of each cylinder put it all back together and same thing coughs on the first pull but is dead after the first pull.

so the help i need is how do i test my stator/coils/wires/fuelpump/ccu(voltage reg)/ecu/injectors. which color wires do i test and what specs do i need to see.

the biggest problem i need to overcome is the fact that the engine wont run to properly test those parts. are there ways to test these parts on a dead sled.

im taking it to T&T on the 30th but i really want to use it for a new years eve ride and if its at T&T's thats not gonna happen so i'm hoping to figure it out before that.

mallard d69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
gonna try the new plugs
and as soon as the holiday festivities are over im gonna tear into it to check the reeds...ive never laid eyes on a set of reeds before what should they look like and what should i look for and lastly if they are bad where should i buy a new set?

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
gonna try the new plugs
and as soon as the holiday festivities are over im gonna tear into it to check the reeds...ive never laid eyes on a set of reeds before what should they look like and what should i look for and lastly if they are bad where should i buy a new set?
All of the peddles of the reeds shouldn't have any chips or cracks in/on them. They should also be sitting flat on the cage, with no curling. I would just buy stock reeds, if you need to replace them?
Be careful when you pull the reeds out of the cylinders.... if your gentle you can re use the gasket, but I would recommend that you buy new gaskets to reinstall them.

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine wouldn't start in Valemount 2 wks ago on the second day. Ify spark and then none. The tether was buggered on mine. Cut it out and then sled ran great.My sled is a 2010 M8. Maybe look there if u have 1 installed.

butters

Reaction score
quvepaze.jpg

mallard d69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks butters. Heres a pic of mine. A little hard to see but....problem found!

reeds.jpg

other side is even worse

IMG-20131226-00932.jpg

Last edited:

mallard d69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
should i just go to echo cycle and pick up a stock set or is there somewhere in edmonton that sells a quality aftermarket set?

mallard d69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
another question i just thought of, do i need to tare the engine apart to go in there and try to pull out the pieces that broke off or will they just get busted up and sent out through the combustion chamber?.

i really do not want to rip into the bottem end of the motor as thats something ive never done before and way more then i bargened for... i would be really pissed if i did all that work just to find out the pieces are allready gone out the exhaust

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Others might disagree..... I personally wouldn't open the motor to see, where the part of the peddle went. More than likely, you already spit it out of your exhaust. But I could be wrong too..... I would take my chance's and just put it back together.

800snopro

Reaction score
Check connectors at the ecu and all other electrical plugs for corrosion and water. If clean make sure they are properly seated. Do u have proper fuel pressure? Very low pressure could cause this. Id start with the easy things before u tear into the reeds. Plugs would be number 1 on the list.

Sent from my iPhone using

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Check connectors at the ecu and all other electrical plugs for corrosion and water. If clean make sure they are properly seated. Do u have proper fuel pressure? Very low pressure could cause this. Id start with the easy things before u tear into the reeds. Plugs would be number 1 on the list.

Sent from my iPhone using
You might want to read the entire thread first. Just sayin........

cnelson6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pull the y pipe and look at the pistons that should be a good indication of where you need to go with it. It's prob fine but for what it takes and piece of mind I would suggest it.

Top Bottom