no speed but high rpm??

kmilne7474

Reaction score
i have a 2002 rmk 800 and it runs great but when you start getting up to about 50 or 60 mph it is maxed out, the rpm is like 7 or 8 thousand and i dont know what to do. could it be clutch weights? and what is the proper jetting for riding in athabasca?

bigdawg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your maxed out at 50-60 mph i would be re-gearing it.... Im betting your geared way to low. just my 2 cents.

BD

Sgt Jordy

Reaction score
Locate and then clean your Exaust values out, its one of those annual things to do. If you just got the machine try and find the manual for it and give it a good going over. Little things you do now could save you alot of money in the end. JORDY

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would have to agree with bigdawg on the low gearing. You can confirm that by using a black marker and make a line on the primary clutch sheave where the belt rides from the center of the clutch right to the top edge. Take the sled for a ride at full throttle/ full RPM and you'll be able to see how far the clutch is shifting out. The black line will be worn off wherever the belt has been riding. On flat ground with a relatively light load, you should see pretty much full shift out, meaning that pretty much all of the marker line should be gone. If that's what you find, then as bigdawg stated, the sled may be geared too low.

bigdawg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not clutch weights they only deal with your RPM"s e.g. if its only reving at 7000rpms then you need to lighten your clutch weights...if its reving at 8500rmp then you need to add more weight.......

synergycycle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well Kevin it seems that you dad told me that he was pinned and it was only going 5500 rpm? id say somthing with the cabels are messed.

Hillbilly64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a 2002 rmk 800 and it runs great but when you start getting up to about 50 or 60 mph it is maxed out, the rpm is like 7 or 8 thousand and i dont know what to do. could it be clutch weights? and what is the proper jetting for riding in athabasca?

I live in Athabasca as well and had to jet a 700 mxz skidoo for the hills but not for the flatland. I do not own an RMK but would think that you should not have to jet a mountain sled, should have a compensator built in. (like ski-doo dpm? ) I would also lean to gearing. Maybe someone slapped in :rolleyes:lower gears for more bottom end in the powder ??

kmilne7474

Reaction score
How would you change the gears? and yes it has a compensator built in but do you think all it needs is some monkeying around?

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it pulls hard and the clutches are shifting out then it is a gearing thing. What size of track is on it? need to change sprocket size in chaincase to change gearing. This is a mountain sled, not a lake racer, as mentioned before it is probably geared for steep and deep.

synergycycle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it pulls hard and the clutches are shifting out then it is a gearing thing. What size of track is on it? need to change sprocket size in chaincase to change gearing. This is a mountain sled, not a lake racer, as mentioned before it is probably geared for steep and deep.

I belive it has a 153" track.

Hillbilly64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would have to agree. If you want speed, that sled is not going to deliver. Built for a different purpose.

kmilne7474

Reaction score
Yeah but it should at least go 100-120 kmh. My 700 goes that fast easily and its all stock?

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think you have isues more than gearing. if it is geared for the mountains or "steep and deep" as it was said it still should go alot faster than 50-60mph. my dad runs a 2000 700 RMK that is geared fot the hills and he can stay with my 900 on the trail or even pass me if he has the balls lol. my girl friends 600 will do faster than that also. 50 -60 mph, that is what our 2 550 RMK trail (Fan) 136x2 does all day long. look in to your clutches or your peak RPM problems. I cant see some one changing the gearing that much

synergycycle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what I would do is put the sled on the stand and make sure the clutches are shifting good. if they are your splitting the chain case.

rgutmann

Reaction score
Could it be as simple as needing to replace the belt or is it the correct belt?

Top Bottom