No O.H.V.'s at Catararct Creek Snow Vehicle Public Land Use Zone - Only Snowmobiles

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This winter, as in previous, recreational quadders have been showing up at Cataract Creek Snowmobile Trails, west of Longview, AB. The staging areas are at both Etherington and Cataract Creek parking lots. This area - Public Land Use Zone (P.L.U.Z.) - and its' trails are legally mandated as snowmobile only trails, Dec. 1 - April 30. Outside of these dates, there is to be no recreational motorized vehicles on the trails, except by permit.

Please let any fellow O.H.V. operators - non-snowmobilers - in the Calgary, and southern Alberta area, know. Three gentlemen showed up from Calgary - 1 & 1/2 hours away - only to turn around and leave after the information below was shown to them.

Please see the below links:

See "Know the Law" in the link below.

http://www.albertaparks.ca/media/4526117/kc_-_cataract_creek_snowmobile_trails.pdf

Last edited:

turbo392

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First off I completely agree with everything you have said. But I do have a serious question about ATVs on groomed trails. I grew up riding sleds but haven't been on one in 15 years and have never ridden on a groomed trail. What the hell is the purpose of grooming? I understand grooming for cross-country skiing to energy and let them fall asleep with going into the bush, but how does ATV tracks ruin a sledder's day, ya'll can't be that pampered and I heard they starting installing suspension on sleds.

srxdude

Reaction score
How about a sxs or quad with tracks. They are no different in the end than a sled just a little slower. This discriminates against someone trying to do good and enjoy the country also. As long as they buy a trail pass to support the club no difference.

robb

Reaction score
First off I completely agree with everything you have said. But I do have a serious question about ATVs on groomed trails. I grew up riding sleds but haven't been on one in 15 years and have never ridden on a groomed trail. What the hell is the purpose of grooming? I understand grooming for cross-country skiing to energy and let them fall asleep with going into the bush, but how does ATV tracks ruin a sledder's day, ya'll can't be that pampered and I heard they starting installing suspension on sleds.

No amount of suspension will keep a ski from dropping into an 8 inch deep quad rut. The lack of flotation on an atv combined with with the lack of traction they have in deep snow results in them leaving ruts the entire width of the trail as the try to power through conditions which the machines aren't really designed for. How many atv tracks do you see headed across a snow covered field ? None , because 10 feet out they would be stuck and spinning out.

brent n

Reaction score
No amount of suspension will keep a ski from dropping into an 8 inch deep quad rut. The lack of flotation on an atv combined with with the lack of traction they have in deep snow results in them leaving ruts the entire width of the trail as the try to power through conditions which the machines aren't really designed for. How many atv tracks do you see headed across a snow covered field ? None , because 10 feet out they would be stuck and spinning out.

frist off u have never been on a tracked quad as they do fine in the deep snow second as for ruts whats the difference with guys running big mint sleds hitting the gas trying to compensate for something and digging ruts down the middle of the trail for smaller sleds to drop into? just my 2 cents

robb

Reaction score
frist off u have never been on a tracked quad as they do fine in the deep snow second as for ruts whats the difference with guys running big mint sleds hitting the gas trying to compensate for something and digging ruts down the middle of the trail for smaller sleds to drop into? just my 2 cents

Are you my stalker that you know what I have and have not ridden and what conditions I have ridden in ? To clarify . I quoted the post ABOVE the post referring to tracked atv , which was concerning atv tracks , not tracked atv's.

turbo392

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Ok, so ATVs are banned from groomed trails to prevent sleds from getting stuck in their ruts? Back to my original question, why are the trails groomed in the first place? I don't see graders going down the summer trails. Seems like grooming is interfering with the natural state of nature.

robb

Reaction score
Grooming allows sled traffic to stay contained by providing a single trail instead of having sleds wandering off-trail to the smoother areas thus utilizing less area and causing less impact on the environment. I don't see how you can say the use of WHEELED atv's does not interfere with the natural state of nature. Most atv trails I have seen with heavy usage look like a disaster zone with trails cutting through the trees around the deep ruts.

turbo392

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Grooming allows sled traffic to stay contained by providing a single trail instead of having sleds wandering off-trail to the smoother areas thus utilizing less area and causing less impact on the environment. I don't see how you can say the use of WHEELED atv's does not interfere with the natural state of nature. Most atv trails I have seen with heavy usage look like a disaster zone with trails cutting through the trees around the deep ruts.

Hey, I'm not arguing with you. ATVs are the spawn of satan, probably why they are so much fun. Grooming trails make sense now, thank you.

robb

Reaction score
Grooming also provides a snow pack that melts slower than loose snow , providing more effective ground protection. Most (not all) snowmobile clubs put in a lot of effort and donate a lot of volunteer hours grooming and maintaining trails. No other powersport devotes this kind of time and effort into creating a trail system or works as closely with environmental concerns. This is why you see the atv bans in sensitive areas while snowmobiles are still allowed.

robb

Reaction score
I'm not trying to say one group is better or worse than the other. Powersports in general receives a lot of bad press and non-riders don't see any difference between snowmobiles and atv's. The unfortunate fact is when the environmentalists go for their summer stroll , the impact left by atv's is so apparent it causes these closures. Snowmobiling only has the advantage of having the evidence of their presence erased by the melting snow.

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For all - I started this thread to INFORM quadders and Side-by-Side'ers of the law. Like they say - If you do not like the law, have it changed! We can argue here "until the cows come home" about tracks on quads, Side-by-Sides, and motorbikes, but it is mute. The law does not recognize these O.H.V.s for use at Cataract Creek Snow Vehicle Zone.

On another matter, a very good point was made. A lot of volunteer time and money -public, industry, and personal - goes into trail maintenance and grooming on snowmobile trails. Trails are groomed to create the most enjoyable and SAFE riding conditions for snowmobilers.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Lets get back on topic here people.

Cataract Creek is a snowmobile only area because the government set it up that way and there is no changes. Atv with tracks are still atvs. Utv with tracks are still UTVs. If they are registered as a ATV,UTV Motorcycle they are not approved to ride here.
This is a jewel of a area and lets all do our part to protect it and keep it open for snowmobile use. Areas are always watched to make sure they are not being damaged or abused. This area was flooded and will need a lot of work and thousands of dollars to bring up to a safe and enjoyable level that it was before the floods. If the snowmobilers are going to invest their time and dollars into the rebuilding of this area they want to insure that it is the for years ahead. This means the government rules need to be followed.

McLean Creek is a motorized area closer to Calgary and it is a recognized area for all motorized activity. This is a huge area and is well used by OHV vehicles. There are other areas also that are year round use allowed. Please google them and ride and enjoy those areas. Get involved with the management of these areas and improve them for more fun and safety and responsible uses there.

As said before this isn't a sled against OHV thread this is a thread to let OHV users know that OHV use is not allowed by the Government in the Cataract Creek area. It would be a terrible thing for you to be caught out there and fined by the CO officers that patrol this area. During a event 2 weeks ago they showed up at a club event. So they are out there and able to enforce the rules.

Again this is a JEWEL of a area that we all can enjoy you just need to be on a snowmobile to get to it.

srxdude

Reaction score
Yes a person can agree. Consider the trail system that you ride on was cleared by the volunteers riding in on atvs with saws and equipment to make a decent trail for sledders. So atvs with a track system should have had a break in this made up law.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes a person can agree. Consider the trail system that you ride on was cleared by the volunteers riding in on atvs with saws and equipment to make a decent trail for sledders. So atvs with a track system should have had a break in this made up law.

This has been this way for years. Always been this way has never had a problem. Its a respect the uses thing.

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

So are advocating that trucks, bobcats, and bulldozers should be allowed on these trails too/"should have had a break in this made up law", since they helped build and maintain them? No sir, don't need or want other O.H.V.'s - during the winter - on government designated snowmobile trails.

Since I also see you are from Fort McMurray, and know nothing - probably - of the area history or reasons the P.L.U.Z. was set aside for snowmobiles only, this is my last comment on this matter. The law is the law.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not trying to say one group is better or worse than the other. Powersports in general receives a lot of bad press and non-riders don't see any difference between snowmobiles and atv's. The unfortunate fact is when the environmentalists go for their summer stroll , the impact left by atv's is so apparent it causes these closures. Snowmobiling only has the advantage of having the evidence of their presence erased by the melting snow.
Not really, i pick up junk and fix fences /and private property signs that are torn down ,well into spring !!!!

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always thought groomed sled trails were to provide an awesome smooth trail to get you from point A to point B.

Top Bottom