No diet for Skidoo?

CamoKVF700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Even though Skidoo has made more changes this year from last than the others, why can't they work on their diet? I'm impartial either way and am trying to decide which way to go for next winter for my wife and son. ... but Polaris is 47 pounds lighter with a more rigid chassis. Can someone explain why Skidoo hasn't worked over their sleds in the weight department?

Skidoo - 464 lbs
Polaris - 417 lbs

Sent while wishing I was on my snowbike

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't ride either one, but it seems to me through the years many of the weight saving strategies from all mfgr's have ended up with sled's breaking and needing updates or after market fixes to strengthen them up again. :hmm:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Skidoo weighed less In 2008 and have since realized it doesn't work. Just like Polaris owners are realizing now with there chassis coming apart at the seems. A few things your not taking into account is the etec engine and associated technology weighs more than previous engines. Also a 16 inch wide track and associated longer full length coolers also weigh more. Skidoo has gone on a diet for 2015 losing 16 lbs so that there 174 3" models weigh the same as last years 163 models which is pretty impressive. The etec handles lbetter than the lighter pro rmk, pops out of the snow better and has better technology. Sure skidoo has room to shed some lbs but not 50 and not at the customers expense by using glues and no bolts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't ride either one, but it seems to me through the years many of the weight saving strategies from all mfgr's have ended up with sled's breaking and needing updates or after market fixes to strengthen them up again. :hmm:
Agreed. What Polaris has done is ground-breaking and no one has come close to getting to the same weight yet. I too wish Ski-Doo would at least make an attempt. The Polaris certainly seems to have some flimsy parts though. Constantly hearing complaints about A-arms separating, rear bumper breaking, tunnel denting or twisting and the overstructure coming apart. The Summit isn't exactly bombproof either with weak S and E modules. The 08 xp was very light but has been beefed up a lot since then. I would like to see the Summit within at least 20lbs of the Pro.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The etec handles lbetter than the lighter pro rmk, pops out of the snow better

No it doesn't. And some aircraft quality adhesive would be welcome in the Ski-Doo camp.

powder junkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Skidoo weighed less In 2008 and have since realized it doesn't work. Just like Polaris owners are realizing now with there chassis coming apart at the seems. A few things your not taking into account is the etec engine and associated technology weighs more than previous engines. Also a 16 inch wide track and associated longer full length coolers also weigh more. Skidoo has gone on a diet for 2015 losing 16 lbs so that there 174 3" models weigh the same as last years 163 models which is pretty impressive. The etec handles lbetter than the lighter pro rmk, pops out of the snow better and has better technology. Sure skidoo has room to shed some lbs but not 50 and not at the customers expense by using glues and no bolts

bahaha watever helps u sleep at night

CamoKVF700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have heard over and over from guys who have rode both that the 15x163 Polaris pops up on top of the snow better than the Skidoo. I have not had the chance to see this for myself.

Sent while wishing I was on my snowbike

Newmanater90

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Exactly what Maxwell said. But i would have to say that after having the hood off a few times on my xm there is at least 10 pounds they can save there. I would like to see a headlight as an option since i never ride at night and a small rigid LED on the handlebar or incorporated into the hood would be sufficient. In the end when you get a pro or a xm stuck they seem to all weigh the same pulling them out!

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
And the average rider is really going to notice a weight difference while driving a sled?........ Sorry, but i couldn't tell any weight difference when i drove both in the same day-- only different handling characteristics -- got used to both sleds without much trouble ...... Jus' sayin' ;)

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here we ago again with the weight game lol. I ride a 2014 Poolaris I had a 2013 XM so here is an honest opinion. Do you notice the weight nope not unless your stuck handlebar deep Im 165lbs im not a big guy so not noticing the weight is Huge! The Poo is light for a reason glue, cheap carbon fiber, and some flimsy metals. Some will say hes brand bashing go ahead I have rode both xm and rmk for long enough to say that my XM handled just as well in tne technical stuff as my pro does now. The pro does come out of the hole a bit better but i found with my 08 xp i switched from doo to team and poo combo clutches and sled came out of the hole a lot better. now my xm had bmp clutching with shockwave helix and was simply a brute. I like my pro it does have its pros and cons but it is Definately not an XM slayer and please don't let the weight fool you its really not that noticeable

Last edited:

Winter Brew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doo dropped 10 lbs for '15, or so they say. Maybe this is just on the T3 with the lack of painted parts and different spindles??
It's easy to drop about 35lbs+ off an XM without effecting durability, and its noticable IMO.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doo dropped 10 lbs for '15, or so they say. Maybe this is just on the T3 with the lack of painted parts and different spindles??
It's easy to drop about 35lbs+ off an XM without effecting durability, and its noticable IMO.

16 lbs on the t3 model. And where else would you loose it? Forsure the hood and airbox but where else?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Exactly what Maxwell said. But i would have to say that after having the hood off a few times on my xm there is at least 10 pounds they can save there. I would like to see a headlight as an option since i never ride at night and a small rigid LED on the handlebar or incorporated into the hood would be sufficient. In the end when you get a pro or a xm stuck they seem to all weigh the same pulling them out!

Yes there has to be room for improvement there. I have heard that it is that way for emissions and sound but who knows.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya weight doesn't make any difference. Let's all ride stock Nytro's and eat at McDicks

Lol who the Fawk are you!!!!

Speaking of mcdixks I'm there right now having lunch you can see how important this extra weight thing is to me

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the suitcase of a muffler ;)

The T3 muffler is 5lbs lighter this season. Again Most won't really care as a most guys throw on a 3lb Mbrp. I dot think skidoo can make a muffler that size as it would certainly not meet sound regulations I know my Mbrp doesn't that's for damn sure LoL

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Polaris made it work? BRP does and changes pipe also. So now you have to buy another $450.00 muffler as your 2013,2014 will not work. Nice??

The T3 muffler is 5lbs lighter this season. Again Most won't really care as a most guys throw on a 3lb Mbrp. I dot think skidoo can make a muffler that size as it would certainly not meet sound regulations I know my Mbrp doesn't that's for damn sure LoL

Top Bottom