No Bull H.P

SledJunky

Reaction score
O.k guys has anyone found out the horse power rating on the new pros. I'm hearing so many different numbers. I am sure i'm not the only one wondering this. :confused:

recguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
145 ish. But really who cares. Watch how they climb on the hill and you will see stock to stock they will be pretty impressive. I bought a new pro ride too. We all are wondering how they will do. Just remember people can say what they want about cat, bomby or yamaha, but if you leave it bone stock and compare to any other bone stock 800 mountain sled you will be pretty happy i'm sure. Time will tell and most guys will never tell you what they have done if they are outclimbing you. They will say its stock most of the time, but most guys have changed clutching or done some sort of modification. Run it stock and hold her to the pin.

SledJunky

Reaction score
Thanks guys for your info. I think they're going to kick ass even though they are a little lighter on the H.P side

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was going to post this in the other thread but it has gotten a little out of hand. Dynotech had some interesting comments about the port timing on the ProR.
Casey has indicated that the cylinders’ port timing is more conservative (ie: lower) than the Dragon 800. Remember, Casey made way more power on his D8 with raised ports compare to stock. So why would the ProR 800 have lowered cylinders? Emissions? Big torque and HP off the bottom? Drivability?

Or could it be, at least in part, the need to have ample cylinder pressure to slam those exhaust valves open, exactly when commanded? As I indicated in the prior discussion here about the possible cause of the mysterious lean midrange that has plagued many Dragon 800 owners, the mechanical cylinder pressure operated exhaust valves may be the culprit! Remember, if those valves stay closed when the ECU thinks they are open, airflow will climb with insufficient fuel flow and leanout/ stumble/ deto/ seizure can occur. Late opening valves can cause airflow to increase as revs climb—the opposite of what we might expect!

Perhaps, by lowering exhaust ports a bunch, the part throttle cylinder pressure reaching the exhaust valves is many times higher than we experienced with the Dragon 800s. This could make those pesky pressure operated exhaust valves slam open on demand, eliminating the strange and inconsistent lean midrange that may have cost Polaris millions in warranty claims and gave Dragon 800s—an otherwise excellent machine—a bad rap. So did Polaris just sacrifice a few ProR 800 HP in exchange for perfect synchronization of exhaust valves and ECU commands?

One other thing that Dynotech mentioned was that the stock fuel mapping was pretty good, but any performance increases will likely require modified fuel mapping. SLP has already confirmed this by requireing a PCV for their new pipe. Dynotech will be doing more testing when they get a PCV and it will be interesting to see how the Pro reacts to mods.:beer:

Kashworth

Reaction score
Just looked at a Youtube vid and read another forum about a dyno pull at dynoport racing. Its says at 30 degrees temp, with the sled at stock with 2.5 hours on the meter 10% ethonal plug in and 91 octane in the tank the motor made 150hp. Curious what the non ethonal plug will increase hp by.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just looked at a Youtube vid and read another forum about a dyno pull at dynoport racing. Its says at 30 degrees temp, with the sled at stock with 2.5 hours on the meter 10% ethonal plug in and 91 octane in the tank the motor made 150hp. Curious what the non ethonal plug will increase hp by.

It changes the timing curve. Basically burning ethonal fuel now was like burning non-leaded fuel years back. It just doesn't burn very well so we have to adjust the timing curve to compensate for the unstable fuel. I think it will reduce HP not Increase.

recguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's funny that you say they ran 91 with the 10% eth plug. That plug is designed for reg fuel 89.
I was told it doesnt hurt to run premium with it but there is no point as the timing curve is for the 10% eth plug is the retarted curve.
This is just what Polaris is saying. They also said that if you know you have good fuel then you will notice a difference with the premium plug installed.

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just looked at a Youtube vid and read another forum about a dyno pull at dynoport racing. Its says at 30 degrees temp, with the sled at stock with 2.5 hours on the meter 10% ethanol plug in and 91 octane in the tank the motor made 150hp. Curious what the non ethanol plug will increase hp by.

Dynotech tested that comparison. Both dyno runs were with 93 Octane 8% Ethanol fuel (they tested the fuel). The non ethanol (premium only) plug gained 3.5 hp over the ethanol (questionable fuel quality or regular) plug.

The non ethanol plug will lean out the mixture 5%. Thats why it's not a great idea to use the premium plug with regular fuel or any fuel with ethanol.

Last edited:

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that info Mike. Good to know. Did you get out on yours yet?

Sadly no. I have a trip planned for December 8th. Can't wait to get this thing on the snow. I may take it for a rip around the yard on Sunday.:d

Kashworth

Reaction score
Dynotech tested that comparison. Both dyno runs were with 93 Octane 8% Ethanol fuel (they tested the fuel). The non ethanol (premium only) plug gained 3.5 hp over the ethanol (questionable fuel quality or regular) plug.

The non ethanol plug will lean out the mixture 5%. Thats why it's not a great idea to use the premium plug with regular fuel or any fuel with ethanol.

Thanks for the info. Going to McBride, BC on Dec 2nd, can't wait to really try out the sled.

SkunkApe

Reaction score
Rode my old mans 2 weeks ago in vale.....WOW its strange but awsome...... sold my assault and pick up my pro 163 tommorow afternoon.....i knew i should not have tried it.......

Kashworth

Reaction score
My Pro RMK is all broke in and I put in non-ehtonol 91 and the 160 OHM resistor in with BR9EIX plugs. This sled has to be making 150+ hp, the power is insane!

500efisks

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was going to post this in the other thread but it has gotten a little out of hand. Dynotech had some interesting comments about the port timing on the ProR.

One other thing that Dynotech mentioned was that the stock fuel mapping was pretty good, but any performance increases will likely require modified fuel mapping. SLP has already confirmed this by requireing a PCV for their new pipe. Dynotech will be doing more testing when they get a PCV and it will be interesting to see how the Pro reacts to mods.:beer:

The aftermarket boys are having a hard time with marketing performance improving components these days. Polaris used to leave alot of hp on the table so people like SLP could easily sell a pipe per say that gained 10+ hp. My 2002 rmk is a perfect example of this. To sell a pipe for the 800s now I see Slp can only gain you 6 hp and this is including the addition of a PCV module. The pipe does not get you the 6 hp alone so now you have to pay alot more for very little gain. Same can be said with snow evacuation openings in the running boards. Waist of time to install things like snow eliminators. No benefit at all. This is a good thing as you can now buy a sled and not have to spend $$$ to improve on what the factory did not give you.
When Polaris bumps the 800 to the 160 mark then they will impress me. They may be powerfull now but there is at least 15 ponies they can add. Doo an Cat allready have it. Imagine what the sleds will be like if this was the case now. Maybe next year we will see this improvement and actually have the best all around sled on the market. The lack of HP we could have is the only hold back in my opinion.

H2O

Reaction score
H.P. blah blah..... I will happily run the PRO with 15 hp less than the other two.

The PRO keeps up with at a minimum ..... and most of the time beats the other two in the steep and deep.

So they need all that extra HP to be competitive.

Kashworth

Reaction score
H.P. blah blah..... I will happily run the PRO with 15 hp less than the other two.

The PRO keeps up with at a minimum ..... and most of the time beats the other two in the steep and deep.

So they need all that extra HP to be competitive.

I second that! Power to the ground is where it all counts and of course, the rider.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The aftermarket boys are having a hard time with marketing performance improving components these days. Polaris used to leave alot of hp on the table so people like SLP could easily sell a pipe per say that gained 10+ hp. My 2002 rmk is a perfect example of this. To sell a pipe for the 800s now I see Slp can only gain you 6 hp and this is including the addition of a PCV module. The pipe does not get you the 6 hp alone so now you have to pay alot more for very little gain. Same can be said with snow evacuation openings in the running boards. Waist of time to install things like snow eliminators. No benefit at all. This is a good thing as you can now buy a sled and not have to spend $$$ to improve on what the factory did not give you.
When Polaris bumps the 800 to the 160 mark then they will impress me. They may be powerfull now but there is at least 15 ponies they can add. Doo an Cat allready have it. Imagine what the sleds will be like if this was the case now. Maybe next year we will see this improvement and actually have the best all around sled on the market. The lack of HP we could have is the only hold back in my opinion.

I don't know where you get your info but this what i've heard bone stock they are 147 HP SLP's pipe mod will give you 11HP with the PCV because it needs more fuel. Thats 158HP. I've ordered my pipe after talking to SLP and listening to what they said, but the new pipe is still being manufactured from the tested proto type.

Last edited:
Top Bottom