nitrous advantage

chrispy

Reaction score
I have an 08 summit 80 xp.
Was trying to figure out the whole nitrous setup thing as i am thinking of getting a system not sure which one yet, will do some research.

Motor is stock, other than can and slp intake. DJ kit installed
- will i have to mix gas ( av or 110) and why, thought thats what nitrous was for?
- What will i have to do to the clutch? i believe i will see an increase in rpm, so will i have to clicker down or change weights to lower the rpm so when i use nos i am at the correct rpm range?
- curious as to how long a 3lb will last in the mountains?
- Is there any jetting involved?
-i know the nos will be alittle harder on the motor, will i have to keep an eye on the top end?
- would a head be a good match for a nos system?
Any advice or knowledge on the matter would be great. I have read most of the nos related threads , and there is alot of differnet thoughts on it.

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an 08 summit 80 xp.
Was trying to figure out the whole nitrous setup thing as i am thinking of getting a system not sure which one yet, will do some research.

Motor is stock, other than can and slp intake. DJ kit installed
- will i have to mix gas ( av or 110) and why, thought thats what nitrous was for?
Yes. The nitrous just adds more oxygen, so you need more fuel to not lean out the motor. Higher octane prevents early detonation and shorter motor life. Also depends how big a SHOT of nitrous you are adding!!!!:d
- What will i have to do to the clutch? i believe i will see an increase in rpm, so will i have to clicker down or change weights to lower the rpm so when i use nos i am at the correct rpm range?
Usually you use nitrous in shorter bursts to bring engine rpm back after it drops during a climb or in deep powder. Stock clutching should be close.
- curious as to how long a 3lb will last in the mountains?
Again, it depends how addicted you get to the extra shot of power and how long you hold the button down!!! It could be one hour or several days, it can be very addicting:cool:
- Is there any jetting involved?
Depends if you use a wet or dry kit. Wet kit adds fuel when you press the button
-i know the nos will be alittle harder on the motor, will i have to keep an eye on the top end?
Anytime you push a motor harder, you shorten it's life
- would a head be a good match for a nos system?
Yes, but the higher the compression, the higher the octane rating required.
Any advice or knowledge on the matter would be great. I have read most of the nos related threads , and there is alot of differnet thoughts on it.

chrispy

Reaction score
Thanks man thats answers alot of questions. Been reading some suppliers installation instruction and initial setup of the nitrous, doesnt look to bad. Mainly been looking at the Boss Noss and Boondockers kit. Leaning toward boondockers cause it seems like people have beeen having luck with it, from what i have been reading anyways.. Any body have anything to say about Boss or Boondockers kits?..

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks man thats answers alot of questions. Been reading some suppliers installation instruction and initial setup of the nitrous, doesnt look to bad. Mainly been looking at the Boss Noss and Boondockers kit. Leaning toward boondockers cause it seems like people have beeen having luck with it, from what i have been reading anyways.. Any body have anything to say about Boss or Boondockers kits?..

I bought a Boondocker kit over the Boss Noss kit just because the Boondocker kit has proved itself IMO. I plan on using it in short bursts just to give her a little zap when she boggs down.

Not to say the Boss kit is bad I think its a great deal and will work great just too new for me!

I have not ran my kit yet though so it might go south too! I dont plan on jetting as I'm a little rich already, going to clicker down the first couple times just to test it out. I run 1-2 gallons of c111 per tank just to be safe...I should mention "My 06 800X is mild ported and piped" but same princables would apply. Did you buy DJ's ramps as well?

chrispy

Reaction score
I put DJ's kit with his mountain ramps on this summer havent been out with it yet. I was thinking the same thing about Boss Noss. Not alot of people posting on it yet, cause it is new. What did u pay for your boondocker kit, any deals out there? And how much is c-111 per gallon? Do u see any problems with putting in a couple of gallons of c-111? if u dont have a high compression heads , i know u have to put some in the tank which doesnt bother me . Its when im not on the nos and i now increased my octane level with c-111. I guess a few liters is a pretty minimal change in the octane level.I was thinking that a new head would be a good match for the nos to.

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put DJ's kit with his mountain ramps on this summer havent been out with it yet. I was thinking the same thing about Boss Noss. Not alot of people posting on it yet, cause it is new. What did u pay for your boondocker kit, any deals out there? And how much is c-111 per gallon? Do u see any problems with putting in a couple of gallons of c-111? if u dont have a high compression heads , i know u have to put some in the tank which doesnt bother me . Its when im not on the nos and i now increased my octane level with c-111. I guess a few liters is a pretty minimal change in the octane level.I was thinking that a new head would be a good match for the nos to.

THe beauty of the boss kit is the separate bottle for the race fuel so you dont have to mix in your main tank, which if you forget or dont mix enough etc then you could have problems, plus you have to mix it all the time. With the separate bottle system you fill it and if you dont use the n2o then its still there for the time you want to hit the happy button, plus it meters the right amount from the bottle and mixes with the n2o and then injects, done!:beer:

chrispy

Reaction score
Had a great conversation with one the the guys at Boondocker . He answered all of my questions, in regaurds to setup , adjustable regulator and wear and tear.
-He suggested to setup where you do the most riding
- Adjustable regulator adjusts down to a 30hp shot.
-Says have to run race fuel mixture, but has no feed back on mixture, Suggested around 2 gallons but not sure.
- Informed me that they have not been having very much luck with a shot of nos higher than around 40hp. Not just limited to them but also other manufacturers. The old 800ho no problems but new 800r doesnt like it. No damage to engines , but engine retards. He isnt sure if people are running the right mixture of race fuel.....???I plan on running around 30hp anyways but it would be nice to get what u pay for and be able to get higher.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
THe beauty of the boss kit is the separate bottle for the race fuel so you dont have to mix in your main tank, which if you forget or dont mix enough etc then you could have problems, plus you have to mix it all the time. With the separate bottle system you fill it and if you dont use the n2o then its still there for the time you want to hit the happy button, plus it meters the right amount from the bottle and mixes with the n2o and then injects, done!:beer:

That extra bottle is the reason I did'nt like that kit. What if the bottle goes MT and hit the button? Will it not go if the bottle is MT?

I'm mixing already "my jerry can as well" so it's not a big deal for me

chrispy

Reaction score
from what i have been told u could run around 3 bottles of nitrous before u run out of fuel.. Just top up every time to be safe.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think this sould be a good idea, help keep the carbs always full of fuel as well

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
from what i have been told u could run around 3 bottles of nitrous before u run out of fuel.. Just top up every time to be safe.

True, but my sled is up side down alot so will the bottle leak mt then your done. I get you can cheak it all the time, and dont get me wrong. I think it is/ will be a great kit. I just think the boondocker has proven itself. I like simple is better.

chrispy

Reaction score
Your right simplier is better.. But new isnt always bad. I watched a vid on how it works , its pretty sweet. Its a sealed bottle with a solenoid i believe, so no chance of leaking.. I was looking at the boondocker system, until i was told by a boondocker rep and a sled shop that running over 30hp shot on an 800 xp will give u problems. Were u can run up to a 60 hp shot on the boss noss with no problems.. does seem tricky though to try a cramm 2 bottles by the exhaust on an xp. And installation seems alittle tricker to . The boss noss u have to remove the secondary where the boondocker u dont..

Top Bottom