Nipply's beleive it or not

pirate31red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So last thursday one of the strangest freekin things happened to me i was driving north of valleyveiw on hwy 2 in my poor poor pete tri tri tanker i had just past a wide load pulled in between him and his pilot when i was struck by lightning ya FRIGGAN lightning it was loud as if someone fired a cannon across the hood the inside of the truck was bright white outside was bright white. One second later the truck totaly shuts down and i have to wrestle the thing to the side of the road sans power steering with no windsheild wipers and a welders flash. pretty much anything that has electrical current is totaly pooched cab ecu, motor ecm,abs comp on truck and trailer,titan gauges,sterio,fm two way,blackberry,and every sensor on the motor diffs front to back. I got a quik repair quote from peterbilt they say around $38000 but cant commit to that price because it could go far higher than that. Crazy it doesnt look any different from the outside but they may write it off i never even heard of this happening before never even considered it now i may lose my truck over it hmmmmm :( not even sure how to take it the odds of getting struck by lightning are 1 in a mill

Attachments

• Westlock County-20110214-00186.jpg
    Westlock County-20110214-00186.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 489

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
My trailer got hit by lightning 2 years ago at Big Valley Jamboree in Camrose. Im still fixing things the trailer, they originally replaced my electrical panel and converter, all my sensors. After I got it back and parked it then the following year I went to use my CD player, its dead. If I used the trailer enough I would of discovered these things. Remember if going through insurance you have one year from the date of loss, so make sure everything is all fixed. Dont sign off the clam right after there done,say you want to make sure there are no more issues.

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
holy chit iam glad u are ok it sucks getting hit i was running 980 loader at alpac a few years ago when lightning hit my counter weight and it fried the ecu :)

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive heard of this happeneing and seen some footage of it but never thought it would happen to me. Hopefully you get it fixed and dont have too many unseen issues with it.

-lenny-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Scary stuff! Good to hear you are OK, hopefully insurance doesn't dick around too much. Truck needs to be moving to be earning!

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow! That's some crazy chit! Glad you're ok. The truck can be repaired if the heart stops.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Keep us posted on how things turn out. I've had a similar experience but the lighting hit the road infront of my truck. When I drove over the spot a second later the hair on my arms and the back of my neck all stood up....freeky :eek: The loud crack of the lighting was deafening and the white light was intense. Scared the crap outta me. I can't see them writing off your truck over $38 grand. To replace it with a new one would be around that $190,000 mark or more? Good luck...and I would get more quotes from other dealers to see the difference.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear you're ok. That would be some scary chit!

I'd imagine it may be a good thing if they write off the truck. With all the electrical systems in vehicles these days I'm sure it would be a basket case for years to come. Good Luck!

what_next

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow thats KARAZY....... be thankful your werent outside taking a leak and it hit you!

pirate31red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i feel like that guy on the uncle buck movie hit by lightning sssss sss s ss ss six ss sss ix sixty sss six ttttt ttt tt times

psullivan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't see them writing off your truck over $38 grand. To replace it with a new one would be around that $190,000 mark or more? Good luck...and I would get more quotes from other dealers to see the difference.

all parts would have to come from pete so you wont save on parts at another dealership, and labour would be about the same. I'm sure his tank is good and could be swapped over. shouldn't cost anywhere near 190 for just truck.

If you need a new truck let me know and I will be glad to help you out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom