Newby clutch question

mtm

Reaction score
01 800 Summitt, I don't ride higher than maybe 7000 feet. my clickers (I think that's right) were set on 4. I believe that is for higher alt.? I dropped them to 3. Right or wrong?

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
01 800 Summitt, I don't ride higher than maybe 7000 feet. my clickers (I think that's right) were set on 4. I believe that is for higher alt.? I dropped them to 3. Right or wrong?

You could set them at 1 for less than 2000ft. 3 for 4000ft. and 5 for 6000ft.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Check what rpm you max power is ..... I believe its around 7900rpm for that sled. What ever altitude your at that is what your revs should max out at. More than that drop a click until it gets there.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your clickers change the ramp angle at which the primary rollers respond to you pushing the throttle.

Going up or down a "clicker" results in an RPM change of about 150-200 rpms.

If you are hitting high rpm's all the time and over revving go down in "clickers"

If you require more rpm's go up.

Some people at lower elevation or starting out a low stagging areas will set their "clickers" to #1 to yeild a lower max rpm. When they are at higher elevation and the motor isn't producing the same power they go up in clicker number to gain rpm.

7000ft is normal to hgih for average mountain riding.

mtm

Reaction score
O.K. so it sounds like trial and error. If I loose too much RPM I'll go back up one. Thanks for the replys. My track is a 151, engine stock. What do you guys have yours set at?

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
O.K. so it sounds like trial and error. If I loose too much RPM I'll go back up one. Thanks for the replys. My track is a 151, engine stock. What do you guys have yours set at?

depends on conditions as well a bit,, hard pack 1 lower... in the deeeeep maybe 1 higher at same elevation...

just heep it at best rpm for that sled....

mine is at 4 most the time,, I also have quick clickers so its 2 seconds to change.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score

You got it! Mine is clutched so I'm at 3 for mountain riding. Stock I was at 5.

mtm

Reaction score
O.K. had a chance to try it out. Turns out my pipe was hooped. Had it welded. Dropped my mains to 490s. It's crisp and rips. Riding about 6000 ft. yesterday, dropped the clickers to 3 and still pull 8000 in deep snow. Very happy.

Top Bottom