Newbie... what are the rules/regs for dirtbikes?

Laka

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm new to dirtbikes and riding and have been trying to find out what are the rules/regulations (laws) regarding dirtbikes and their usage in alberta. So far I know that insurance/registration is a must. But if I want to ride do I need headlight and taillights? The bike is a YZ250 and it doesn't have lights, and I don't know if a 2 stroke can have lights hooked up to it?

Thanks for any information. I've been searching the government websites etc. but all the information in these places very sparce.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm new to dirtbikes and riding and have been trying to find out what are the rules/regulations (laws) regarding dirtbikes and their usage in alberta. So far I know that insurance/registration is a must. But if I want to ride do I need headlight and taillights? The bike is a YZ250 and it doesn't have lights, and I don't know if a 2 stroke can have lights hooked up to it?

Thanks for any information. I've been searching the government websites etc. but all the information in these places very sparce.
I was just told this year that head lights and tail lights are required for riding on crown land on ALL OHV's. you will need a lighting coil to run them, and they're not cheap.

still lot's of guys running MX bikes on the trails, haven't heard of anyone being hassled for it yet.

Laka

Reaction score
Will I have any problems registering a bike that came from BC and has never been reg'd here?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not sure about that, you'll need valid insurance and title/bill of sale for a plate. I don't think you'll need an out of province inspection for an OHV. call registries and check tho, I've been wrong before....

Laka

Reaction score
Anyone know if a dirt bike would qualify for an out of province inspection? I would assume not since it isn't street legal anyway? thanks

rmktony

Reaction score
As far as i know you dont need a inspection on a dirt bike. I have seen people ticketed for riding with no lights on thier bike. Everyone I know just uses those little battery powered LED lights for bicycles. U can get em at canadian tire or wal mart real cheap.

Landrew

Reaction score
If you ride on private land or moto tracks then you don't need registration or insurance.

If you go on Crown Land then you do. Technically you need a headlight and taillight visible at XX feet and a spark arrester approved exhaust.

I have never been asked for those items but you may if you are being reckless and they see you or if they are having a bad day. Or if you ride with a big group and one or 2 people cause problems they will stop you all and start inquiring.

I have left my plate in the truck or in a backpack. Some guys have photocopied it. Technically it should be on the rear of the vehicle always visible but I haven't gone to the trouble of mounting mine.

In 8 years I have been asked 4 times and always just for the 2 basics - insurance and registration. With insurance being more important for you and others on the trail.

There is a way to get a dirt bike with street plates .....

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a way to get a dirt bike with street plates .....
yep...got one meself.....:d
pictures2658Small.jpg

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ab regulations state insurance and registration and plate on bike headlight capable of lighting up an object 200ft away and tailight visable from 200 ft as well as a spark arrestor (i have been checked for lights but never the spark arestor
i have been told by one fish cop that mountain bike light are ok the next guy gave us warnings for not having proper lights it seems to be at there own descetion although i have yet to see a mountain bike light that can light up 200 ft
i have had friends get ticket for not having the plate on the bike it was zip tied on his chest protector fish cop said not acceptable as he could change bikes and the plate does not match the bike then
i added a lighting coil and headlight and heated grips to my cr250 2stroke it is very simple to do a lighting coil is aprox 150.00 200.00 from the US or even cheaper on ebay if you are patient

Laka

Reaction score
What kind of lights did you hook up? do you have any pictures.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Stay off the snowmobile trails

Top Bottom