Newbie... Dirt bike Insurance in Alberta, am I being scammed???

JoeBiker

Reaction score
Hi all, I just bought a CRF150F (4 strokes) and I am asking my agent for insurance, I know I need it to register the bike and get the plates...

My question is: do I need full coverage? the person in the registry told me that they don't require to include collision coverage, anyway these are the prices that my insurance agent is offering me:

Full coverage ($1000000 Third Party Liability, Collision with a $500 deductible and Specified Perils with a $250 Deductible)
- $875

$1000000 Third Party Liability and Specified Perils with a $250 Deductible
- $494

$1000000 Third Party Liability
- $266

I've seen other primes here in the forum and these prices look too high for me.

I'd appreciate your input
Thanks...

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
seems high... I pay on average $140 per machine a year...liability/fire/theft

$500 deductable....

ktm 13-44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Again, im having trouble finding insurance for my bikes. Who are you going through Bogger?

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Brad G is a friend and a broker in Edmonton. He just started a new brokerage, he is a member on this site and knows many of you. We are just setting him up as a supporting vendor. He knows his bikes and sleds and will give you good rates. Contact him at Darson insurance in Edmonton at 780-452-7272 or email him at bguignion@darsonins.com
Make sure you tell reference snowandmud. Catpride you may remember Brad from a while back, he says hi.

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
I have had a half dozen bikes insured through Home for Chrome. They are a division of Dalton Timmis and specialize in bikes. When checking rates for my KTM, most were in around $500.00 with fire theft and full coverage, then my agent Dianna Fast at Dalton Timmis got me full coverage with Jevco as the underwriter for half of that. Think I'm paying $258.00 Here's the number, ask for Dianna Fast

Calgary, AB
600 Crowfoot Crescent, NW
Calgary, AB T3G 0B4

Phone: 403-241-2288
Fax: 1-866-399-3177

National
Toll-free: 1-888-385-8466
Alberta Toll-free: 1-866-472-0721
Motorcycle Sales/Service: 1-877-DTG-MOTO (384-6686)

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Brad G is a friend and a broker in Edmonton. He just started a new brokerage, he is a member on this site and knows many of you. We are just setting him up as a supporting vendor. He knows his bikes and sleds and will give you good rates. Contact him at Darson insurance in Edmonton at 780-452-7272 or email him at bguignion@darsonins.com
Make sure you tell reference snowandmud. Catpride you may remember Brad from a while back, he says hi.
Just wrote a new policy for our quads with TIG in edmonton....wish I had read this sooner.... would like to keep my business that supports sites like this.....next time....but out TT is up in june....... I'll try to get a quote from em.

JoeBiker

Reaction score
Thanks everybody for your responses.

I am asking for quotations right now, I hope to finish with insurance and registry by the end of this week, so I can finally ride it this weekend...

Dadbro

Reaction score
I just insured my KLX 250 yesterday and it was $148 for 1 mill liability at $500 deductable
the same collision /fire /theft.

hamwallet

Reaction score
I found that the biggest question from Insurance Brokers was whether I had a motorcycle licence. If you have a licence, it was going to cost $200 to insure a dirt bike for off highway use. Without the licence it's double that. That's from Blue Circle Insurance in Calgary. Most other insurers wouldn't even give me insurance without the motorcycle licence, that being TD.

Airborne30

Reaction score
Yeah, I hav a Rm 250 insured through co-operators in Lacombe for $190 but they are hassling me on my 450 due to not having a license. ??? Don't get that. What's the rule when trying to get a class 6? Hav a buddy insure your bike/????????

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I found that the biggest question from Insurance Brokers was whether I had a motorcycle licence. If you have a licence, it was going to cost $200 to insure a dirt bike for off highway use. Without the licence it's double that. That's from Blue Circle Insurance in Calgary. Most other insurers wouldn't even give me insurance without the motorcycle licence, that being TD.

Having a bike license for an off-road bike shouldn't be a factor, I go thru TD for my 91 CR500R and don't have a class 6, 1mill liablity+ 500 deductible for fire,theft costs $170 a year.

Bike insurance, just like sled insurance is a shopping job, quite the chore, and you need to call every place as the prices will very by quite abit. I have my sleds thru Drayden as they were more than 50% cheaper than others I tried including TD.

hamwallet

Reaction score
Having a bike license for an off-road bike shouldn't be a factor, I go thru TD for my 91 CR500R and don't have a class 6, 1mill liablity+ 500 deductible for fire,theft costs $170 a year.

Bike insurance, just like sled insurance is a shopping job, quite the chore, and you need to call every place as the prices will very by quite abit. I have my sleds thru Drayden as they were more than 50% cheaper than others I tried including TD.

Yeah I spoke with TD on two different occasions and they said the same thing as many other insurance providers. Maybe it's a new rule for first time insurance on a bike within the last couple years, I don't know. TD had made it very clear to me that they will NOT insure my dirtbike without a class 6 motorcycle licence. You're not the first person I have heard who has managed to get insurance from TD without the class 6 but I guess it depends on who you talk to there these days.

martincc

Reaction score
Danbro, where did you get your insurance? I think I've called everyplace in Alberta

choda

Reaction score
talk to Brad as previously mentioned. he'll hook you up. just got off the phone with him after finding this thread after googling insuring pit bike. super knowledgeable and the friendliest guy to boot!

Top Bottom