New wood deck for trailer?

motrhed

Reaction score
Kevin for hauling a few sleds/quads what ever......i have a flat deck and bogger can vouch, it was redone in paper face a few years ago still perfect surface on top awesome for sleds cause its smooth, slides well, and doesnt split/tear apart, i know quite a few carpenters who use it for a bottom in the boxes of their trucks and has lasted them years....... it is a sealed fibre face, doesnt weather, and holds up very well to all conditions...seeing how it hold up to concrete for forming and can be used over and over and over for forming work.......not saying it is the very best but i will say it has worked well everywhere i have seen it used and lasts well.

just my .02

I am not familiar with this product, where can a person get this and what is it called? Does it hold-up well to impacts like for a truck box liner? Is it slippery when wet?

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
all rules and regulations come about after someone pushes the envelope and has a problem. canadakevin now has a 18 ft trailer, may put 4 quads on deck, definitely overloaded without brakes= accident or may be a death. 99 times out of a hundred he may have no problem, what if that 1 time is the first. i have ridden on the unsafe side of safe myself, but getting older and becoming more cautious.

seems like kevin is getting the ok to be illegal from some, just giving the info he needs. the decision is up to him. the 2 times thing is like rolling the dice, sometimes you win sometimes not so much.:beer:

As stated thats just my opinion, not giving advise. and yes the rules are in place for a reason, liability is the reason for the 2x safety rating. I think it's good you are providing the proper info to him and my opinion is in no way an effort to sway him to proceed illegally. I was just pointing out that there are or were obviously many trailers manufactured outside of accepted modern standards.

I am not familiar with this product, where can a person get this and what is it called? Does it hold-up well to impacts like for a truck box liner? Is it slippery when wet?

more slippery than standard plywood, but not crazy sliperry. I'll get more info for you when I speak with the brother inlaw

canadakevin

Reaction score
all rules and regulations come about after someone pushes the envelope and has a problem. canadakevin now has a 18 ft trailer, may put 4 quads on deck, definitely overloaded without brakes= accident or may be a death. 99 times out of a hundred he may have no problem, what if that 1 time is the first. i have ridden on the unsafe side of safe myself, but getting older and becoming more cautious.

seems like kevin is getting the ok to be illegal from some, just giving the info he needs. the decision is up to him. the 2 times thing is like rolling the dice, sometimes you win sometimes not so much.:beer:

At the end of the day this is an awesome thread and I am learning lots. I appreciate all of the opinions and hope they keep coming. This thread sorta sums up my life.... Jump in with both feet and figure out the details later.

As far as "pushing the envelope" on saftey - yes I too have done too much of that in my life, but now that I am on the other side of forty and have six kids it doesn't really happen (much) anymore.

I really am just trying to wade through the infomation and then I will proceed from there.

Kevin

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not trying to scare you, just a heads up as i do the same crap to. you are not likely to get fined or stopped in Alberta but if you look overloaded. check the tires for there weight rating and do not exceed as that can lead to an oh ch!t situation. :d:beer:

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As stated thats just my opinion, not giving advise. and yes the rules are in place for a reason, liability is the reason for the 2x safety rating. I think it's good you are providing the proper info to him and my opinion is in no way an effort to sway him to proceed illegally. I was just pointing out that there are or were obviously many trailers manufactured outside of accepted modern standards.

more slippery than standard plywood, but not crazy sliperry. I'll get more info for you when I speak with the brother inlaw

It's called form ply. Can be bought at most construction places like Unicon and Northlands. It isn't cheap though. It's plywood with a coating on it, to be used as said for concrete forming, like basements, etc.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's called form ply. Can be bought at most construction places like Unicon and Northlands. It isn't cheap though. It's plywood with a coating on it, to be used as said for concrete forming, like basements, etc.

But isn't form ply Spruce? I find fir a much superior species of wood for durability.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
But isn't form ply Spruce? I find fir a much superior species of wood for durability.

this stuff is inpenetrable making it supiorior to most, not sure if this is standard form ply or a hybird...I'll find out tomorow.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually I stand corrected. I looked into it and it looks like the real deal.

Fir 7 layer, Phenolic, and all.
Good Find Cyle!

can ply

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
form ply is a laminated heat pressed ply wood meant for durability, and to be re-used in concrete forming....also after looking into it a little deeper........2000lbs is the alberta weight restriction IF the unit being towed is more than 1/2 the weight of the towing vehicle......therefore on a vehicle of 5000lbs (half ton truck) your legal weight with out auxiliary braking would be 2500lbs....stipulations also lie on manufacturing specs of the vehicle towing......lots of grey area's which i assume make for all the trailer's "of age" that weren't built with them.....

like i said before i had a 3800lb trailer i hauled with a 05 blazer that didnt have brakes.....did it for a few years with 0 issues.....my boat with trailer is over 2000 and i tow it 4 times a week never once stopped or questioned....

i wouldnt worry.....JMO

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually I stand corrected. I looked into it and it looks like the real deal.

Fir 7 layer, Phenolic, and all.
Good Find Cyle!

can ply

Yea they work really well considering they are made to be wet time and time again. And it's amazing how well they stand up to the moisture and concrete. Even the corners, and outside plys are so much stronger and would stand up better to carbides, etc.

Price and extra weight are the only downsides I can think of.

canadakevin

Reaction score
So I had my inspection done today and as far as a federal inspection they did not care about brakes and the trailer passed with no repairs and or alterations needed.

I still get that I need to be careful as to what I load on the trailer for weight/saftey and or fine issues within Alberta.

Just thought I would update ya all as to the RIV inspection.

Kevin

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I had my inspection done today and as far as a federal inspection they did not care about brakes and the trailer passed with no repairs and or alterations needed.

I still get that I need to be careful as to what I load on the trailer for weight/saftey and or fine issues within Alberta.

Just thought I would update ya all as to the RIV inspection.

Kevin

The RIV inspection at Canadian Tire doesn't look at mechanical fitness. I know with a motor vehicle, after the RIV inspection is done, you have to take it in for an out-of-province inspection. I'm not sure if trailers fall under the same ruling or not.

funrider

Reaction score
i do think that Canadian tire does the out of prov. at the same time they did it for my truck that i imported. unless it is not required for trailers.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i do think that Canadian tire does the out of prov. at the same time they did it for my truck that i imported. unless it is not required for trailers.

Actually, that is right. It costs extra, but they did the out of province on my wifes car, but couldn't do it on my Freightliner, won't touch a commercial truck.

funrider

Reaction score
Hey Grubby sounds like you do some shopping down under do you travel there lots work and or play
bill

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Grubby sounds like you do some shopping down under do you travel there lots work and or play
bill

Not a lot of shopping. I bought my trailer puller and my wife's car from the states, but that's about it for the big dollar items. I have made quite a few trips down there that were work related, and a few for play.

canadakevin

Reaction score
The RIV inspection at Canadian Tire doesn't look at mechanical fitness. I know with a motor vehicle, after the RIV inspection is done, you have to take it in for an out-of-province inspection. I'm not sure if trailers fall under the same ruling or not.

No more inspections for the trailer - They said at registries today when I put the plate on it that a trailer did not need and "out of Province".

06 Dragon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Going to re sheet my sled deck and Two place open trailer. This thread is a little dated, so just wondering what you folks have done, and what works?
Looked in to X deck, $90.00 a 4X8 sheet. 5/8"GIS Fir plywood with a coating on it, maybe something like rustoleum restore. Another option is the Cofi Form sheeting used for concete forms. The deck will have super glides intalled. Not sure if I will intall them on the two place as I haul other equipment on it as well.

Top Bottom