New toy hauler sway

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had everything full fuel station and water. Water is in front of the axles but fuel is behind. And I can't speed gonna have to do 90 every where I go at 100 she's gone

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can you hook up a sway control at all?

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What are you using for a tow vehicle? I didn't back read the whole thread , but if you simply don't have the truck for the weight behind it, nothing you do is going to make a difference . Personally I don't even know why they make toyhaulers as bumper pulls. What is the hitch weight of your trailer in comparison to the weight of the truck? I had a 40 foot toyhauler behind my 2010 1 tonne that wasn't dwd, and it was scary as hell driving it, got to the point I wouldn't even drive hwy2 because when someone passed me the trailer went absolutely haywire , it was white knuckle every mile. The other big difference is wether it's a dual axle trailer or a tri, the third axle makes a huge difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can you hook up a sway control at all?

I can if I use my old hitch. I haven't had a chance to tow it again since I lowered my hitch. If it's still bad I am gonna buy a friction sway control.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And I am pulling it with a f350 diesel srw.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can if I use my old hitch. I haven't had a chance to tow it again since I lowered my hitch. If it's still bad I am gonna buy a friction sway control.

I will take a picture of my set up. Bumper pull with sway control. I take it Thursday when I hook up toyhauler.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Look at the Reese Dual Cam, mine has been rock solid on two different trucks.

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buddy had big problems when he switched tire brands. Went from Toyo MT to cooper and said his toy hauler was all over the road. Went back to Toyo MT and all better again.

'12 T4

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buddy had big problems when he switched tire brands. Went from Toyo MT to cooper and said his toy hauler was all over the road. Went back to Toyo MT and all better again.

'12 T4

Friend had the same issue with Coopers, said it was like driving on tennis balls.

Fatdaddy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sway bars added to equalizer bars will fix the problem. I had the same problem with one of my bumper pull trailers. With just equalizer bars it was fairly western but when I added sway bars the problem resolved.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^^same set up I used for my Artic Fox, worked great...it's in the classifieds now! Went to a fiver.

2012 MC 3500
MM full deletes, 5" TBE, H&S boost tube and intake, DD's tuning, trannys tune, 3" Thuren coils, Sulastic shackels, 35"toyos, 18"fuel , Carli upper/lower stab with diff guard. Pintops

2012rzr

Reaction score
I'm having the same sway issues with my 2015 Energy toy hauler it's 35' including hitch. I tow it with an F-350 LWB SRW and it sways big time, I have dropped the hitch down played with the equalizers and now I'm going to look into sway control setup. If you try sway control OP and it works let me know I will try the same thing.

Thunderr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I find if I don"t have enough weight at the front of my trailer it will sway. I use to do the majority of my trip with an empty water tank and most of the weight over the wheels causing it to sway.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm having the same sway issues with my 2015 Energy toy hauler it's 35' including hitch. I tow it with an F-350 LWB SRW and it sways big time, I have dropped the hitch down played with the equalizers and now I'm going to look into sway control setup. If you try sway control OP and it works let me know I will try the same thing.

your trailer is dam near identical to mine both keystones. It took a lot of screwing around with mine to get it to tow ok. I found nose down a little and lots of bar tension worked the best, but then my blue ox hitch uses spring tension on the bars to control sway. I also just upgraded trucks to a 2009 f350 and it tows night and day diff, the only difference i can tell truck to truck was tires. i had mud tires on my 03 which had a lot of side wall and my new truck has 20 inch rims i think side wall flex in the tires had a lot to do with it. I have heard of tires on the tow vehicle effecting how the trailer handles.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your truck is within it's capabilities of properly handling this weight and you've looked at hitching, your tires are good quality truck tires and not off road mud tires, Maybe try taking out the SXS and see if the trailer settles down, then you know it may just be a weight distribution problem...

Then you can start playing with things like with the SXS leave the rear fuel tank empty....

Does the trailer manufacture list a cargo weight capacity?
What is the trailer weight toatla capaicity vs your actual loaded weight, are you over loading?
Someone earlier mentioned the axles arent far enough forward, my guess there not far enough back as it sounds like you need more weight on the hitch..

Used to haul a 24' 5th wheel with a 24' quad trailer, I ordered the trailer with the axles at 60/40 vs 70/30, didnt want a bunch of weight on the 5th wheel trailer hitch, it then takes weight of the truck and the 5th wheel would bounce.
The 60/40 worked great back behind the 5th wheel, but it had to be loaded with weight forward, I would also toss exta stuff up by the bed in the 5th wheel to ensure we were weighted forward....

My dad told me this and I had to try it once, before getting the weight distribution fiqured out,
I would apply the trailer brakes manually to slow down the rear trailer from swaying, but if it wasnt working, more thottle would pull it straight then back to the trailer brakes and feather the truck brakes...

Dont miss that feeling...eventually went to a 40' work and play5th wheel toy hauler and a 1 ton dually.....rasied the trailer 3" and it pulled great...

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The other thing i noticed is weight in the truck helps, i usually have the quad in the box and the sxs in the trailer and its good but without the quad it sways a bit more, you may want to throw all your extras in the truck and not in the garage.

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^ I agree. My TT pulls pretty well, but with my sxs up on the truck you can't feel the trailer.

As a side note, a couple years ago I ran 305/55/20 or so, and the wide tire seemed to want to walk all over the place. Not so with a 265.

'12 T4
Husaberg 570FE

Top Bottom