New toy hauler sway

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I bought a new keystone carbon 31. Basicly the same as a raptor 31ds. So first trip out last weekend with the trailer loaded was horrible I have never had a trailer sway like this this. Fresh water tank in front the axles was full. Fuel station full and my rzr in the garage. Also got a new blue ox hitch with the trailer and have it set Basicly the way the dealer set it up.

Now I know sway problems tend to be a lack of tongue weight but I tried no chain tension to more than I have ever used with no real change in how it towed. I set all tire pressures to the max on the tire to take out as much sidewall flex as I can. Now I watch the video on this hitch and they show having a lot of tension on the spring bars so they flex. But I think to get them to flex would be to much tension and take to much tongue weight off.

Dose any one have any experience with this problem or the blue ox hitch system. Or at least any ideas how to help this thing tow better.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use a sway control bar on my Raptor tri axle bumper pull.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya i was thinking that, only thing is that that new sway pro hitch has no provisions for a sway bar its all supposed to be build into the head of the hitch, but she dont seem to work as good as advertised.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure of my brand. It makes a big difference. I crank it tight on the hi way. When I get on the gravel roads into the bush I let off the tension.

Daine

Reaction score
We had a big work and play bumper tow, 35'. pulled it originally with a 3/4 ton srw set up. Almost killed us the first time on the high way. Watched the way it was loaded closely after that but I was always chasing what the trailer was doing with the steering wheel. This was with the stabilizing bars and friction link 3rd link with a tongue weight of around 1100lbs when loaded. I always felt it needed a 3rd axle and that would have helped out a lot.

Defiantly need to watch the tongue weight/total weight ratio to pull remotely proper. I remember seeing around 10-20% of total weight on a safety sticker.

Upgraded the truck before we got rid of the trailer, dually seemed to straighten it out way more than any of the hitches that we tried.

Only thing that can help you out is load the toy box as far forward as possible and stay on your game while driving.

IMO big bumper tows will never pull as straight as a 5th wheel, just that nature of beast with the hitch being that far back from the truck axle.

campingnut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a blue ox sway pro and I found it did not work to control sway. I tightened the bolt on the hitch head to about 100ft/lbs and still had sway with an Artic Fox trailer. The only solution I found after trying cheaper hitches was a Pro Pride same as a Hensley. My advice and my neighbor who got one, get either a pro pride or Hensley hitch before you are in the ditch.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO big bumper tows will never pull as straight as a 5th wheel, just that nature of beast with the hitch being that far back from the truck axle.[/QUOTE]

For this reason I will never own a big travel ball trailer

Even with sway ect b.s, it not even close to a 5 th wheel

sent while I should be drinking tea's

RhinoWhino

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the same thing with my 36ft torque the first time out last year . Lowered the hitch and a sway bar was installed , no problemo now.

KawisakiRider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 37' TT (not toy hauler) with WD hitch and zero issues, I do have air bag not sure if that makes the difference or not. Not sure on the brand of hitch either but it has square bars and no chains like the other ones I've seen?

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
The issue with toy haulers is they're so ass end heavy.Mine pulls fine at 120 with nothing in the garage.
I have a 37' TT (not toy hauler) with WD hitch and zero issues, I do have air bag not sure if that makes the difference or not. Not sure on the brand of hitch either but it has square bars and no chains like the other ones I've seen?

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
32' with a Reese dual cam, no sway, ever.
My truck has training wheel so that probably helps.

Top Bottom