New to the quad world

Adam31

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I just moved to an acreage and am think of buying a quad. I will be using it to Plow snow and yard stuff but also to hit the trails and have some fun. I was looking at an 07 Honda 500 rubicon just looking for a little help from you experts as I am new to the sport. Do you think this is a good machine or what would you recommend. Thanks for looking and helping, Adam

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Hi Adam and :welcome: to the site.

I use a 500HO Sportsman with rear chains out here in BC plowing my driveway and many times it is under powered with only the 50" blade. It gets the job done but if I put on a wider blade it would struggle in some of the snow conditions. I don't know anything about that particular machine you are looking at but someone will chime in and provide a little more insight.

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Hello everyone, I just moved to an acreage and am think of buying a quad. I will be using it to Plow snow and yard stuff but also to hit the trails and have some fun. I was looking at an 07 Honda 500 rubicon just looking for a little help from you experts as I am new to the sport. Do you think this is a good machine or what would you recommend. Thanks for looking and helping, Adam

I had that exact same machine, same year and I loved it. Bomb proof but beware of any used machine. If it is stock chances are it will be okay. If it has been modified in any way other than some larger tires you might want to beware. Snorkels not a good sign, means it has been in some deep mudholes / water more than it has been on actual trails. Check the wheel bearings, usually the first thing to go on these and brakes. It will have no problem plowing snow, very strong engines. As for trail riding I used mine for 3 years and put an average of 1500kms on it every year, never had a problem. Reason I traded to a Grizzly was because I was always taking the dog with me and I needed something with IRS(independent rear suspension) for a softer ride. On the Rubicon(that is how I got my name BTW) I had to ride slower because it was more bumpy. Other than that great machine. We ride with a older gentleman with his 500 foreman and he goes the same places we do and he rarely gets stuck, on the trails you have to ride smarter then the people with the bigger HP machines and know how to go around or over tricky places. Ground clearance is also an issue but that is where the smarter riding also comes in.lol

Adam31

Reaction score
I had that exact same machine, same year and I loved it. Bomb proof but beware of any used machine. If it is stock chances are it will be okay. If it has been modified in any way other than some larger tires you might want to beware. Snorkels not a good sign, means it has been in some deep mudholes / water more than it has been on actual trails. Check the wheel bearings, usually the first thing to go on these and brakes. It will have no problem plowing snow, very strong engines. As for trail riding I used mine for 3 years and put an average of 1500kms on it every year, never had a problem. Reason I traded to a Grizzly was because I was always taking the dog with me and I needed something with IRS(independent rear suspension) for a softer ride. On the Rubicon(that is how I got my name BTW) I had to ride slower because it was more bumpy. Other than that great machine. We ride with a older gentleman with his 500 foreman and he goes the same places we do and he rarely gets stuck, on the trails you have to ride smarter then the people with the bigger HP machines and know how to go around or over tricky places. Ground clearance is also an issue but that is where the smarter riding also comes in.lol

Thanks for the reply. They say the brakes and bearings were done recently. It has around 5000 km on it, is that a lot for the year at a price around $4500.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site

Top Bottom