new to 900, questions

polarrider

Reaction score
I just got a 2005 rmk 900:d. The last owner just replaced the front bumper, it seems kind of flimsy. If you try lifting the sled by it the entire hood moves. Is this normal? Is there an aftermarket light weight metal/alum bumper you guys recommend? The sled has 3200Miles The crank was changed in 08, compression is around 120 each, should i do new piston and rings? What do you think?
I traded a 2003 Rx1 for it and im stoked to ride a lighter sled!!

j.c.higgins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The rivets in the bellypan have probably come loose. Lift your hood up and have someone pull up on the bumper a few times and look at whats moving. Usually thats from bushwacken or the odd rollover or smackin the front bumper. If this is what it is just drill out the rivets and put in fresh ones with backing washers. Easy fix.

Danbot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just got a 2005 rmk 900:d. The last owner just replaced the front bumper, it seems kind of flimsy. If you try lifting the sled by it the entire hood moves. Is this normal? Is there an aftermarket light weight metal/alum bumper you guys recommend? The sled has 3200Miles The crank was changed in 08, compression is around 120 each, should i do new piston and rings? What do you think?
I traded a 2003 Rx1 for it and im stoked to ride a lighter sled!!

Skinz Protective Gear makes an nice bumper for your sled to replace the flimsy plastic junk. The PFB100 is the one you want.
Skinz Protective Gear
It's a direct bolt on, the only complication would be if you are running an SLP airbox.

120psi sounds fine depending on your elevation, the 900 cylinders have a decompression hole that yields lower compression test numbers compared to other sled engines. Make sure your intake boots are not cracked while your poking around getting her ready for the season.

polarrider

Reaction score
If i do the bumper kit I will also need to do the rad delete, Right? I dont understand how the rad delete is an advantage, the rad must help with cooling!
Polaris put it there for a reason. Too bad they dont make a bumper that allows you to keep the rad..

markoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the first thing you should do is loose the rad. it's extra weight and it will run cooler without it. deleting it will force all the coolant to go through the tunnel so the snow can cool it. stock bumpers are plastic crap. I ripped mine off by lifting on it. I can't imagine what would happen if I actually hit something.

hecks

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"When you hit something with it" ..... first hand experience (twice).... you will smash your SLP airbox and put a few ripples and/or have to replace your pipe ! Plastic bumpers are garbage, invest in a steel/aluminium bumper as stated above. If not..... do not let anyone lift your sled by the bumper (stuck or not) as it will eventually rip off.

benamen

Reaction score
We replaced the bumpers on our two 05 900s last year with the Skinz bumper. Very nice product for the price. Have done the rad delete on both of the sleds and have not noticed any worse problems with the cooling. The reasoning for the removal of the front rad are weight reduction, less heat build up in the engine compartment. Seems most of the coolant flow went to the front rad and did not the rear cooler to do its share.
Make sure you use scratchers for the hard pack trails to keep the temp down.
05 pistons are known for dropping a skirt so it would be recommended that you pull your exhaust y and do a visual on the pistons. Suggested replacement pistons are the Polaris 06 pistons.

ss_badaz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Few Pic's of a Skinz Bumper Install on a 05 900 I had to ditch the SLP air box and go with the Fire N Ice set up this pulls the air in from up top. Overall the bumper went in real good, lift up the front end now no problem.

DSC02590-1.jpg

DSC02594-2.jpg

DSC02592-1.jpg

Fire N Ice Air Intake

Danbot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Better get one while you can! Rumor is they aren't selling enough units to justify full production... a heads up was given on SW recently.

Top Bottom