New sledder

BShap

Reaction score
I've been looking to purchase my first sled. Once I get the hang of things I plan on riding pemberton, whistler, sicamous, revy, and such. I am not a big guy so i want something light. Been looking at the 2011-2012 pro and found one with 1350km for 8500. Just looking for any advise, things to watch out for, or any input you guys got for me. Would this be the right sled or should I look at a different sled.

Thanks for you help.

BShap

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That price sounds solid for a 2011 Pro RMK 800 with 1350km. Make sure it is the 800cc.

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wish I could have started sledding on a Pro! All the new sleds today are so much better than what we rode ten years ago. You should do a compression test, if it's all clean and straight, it sounds like a fair price.

BShap

Reaction score
Thanks for your input. just need to convince myself that its a good idea to buy a sled. Peer pressure me people!!!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Thanks for your input. just need to convince myself that its a good idea to buy a sled. Peer pressure me people!!!

Nothing better than sledding (being an activity you doo with your clothes on!)........

50-100 days a year and a lot of BS preparing and winding down makes this sport the.............​GREATEST !

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would check out other sleds the pro had problems and with me I wouldn't buy a used mountain sled unless u know the sled. U can buy a 1 or 2yr old sled from the dealer for a few more dollars, I picked up a 2011 m8 for 9800 out the door this spring. I then took it to kenny at mountain magic in edmonton to get it dialed in, we did this to my sons 2011 last year and all I can say is wow. We had all the other sleds from the pro to etec chasing him all winter, a few got close but he just kept on out climbing them. He also has 8yrs in the mountains and I would call him a good rider not the best i've seen but he can hold his own. I would also have the sled dialed in by a high performance shop this made a big differance in my sons sled and most of the factory dealers don't no ch!t when it comes to tuning a sled, they just put them together and send them out the door. I have a s/c apex that pulls real well but the weight is starting to catch up to me so I went to a m8 after watching my sons sled all winter. We also ride quite a bit, we got out about 8 times last winter and we road with alot of other groups and most of them could not believe that it was a stock sled. The best thing I would do is talk to other sledders and see how the different sleds are performing. good luck

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's how it's gonna go

first you buy a sled to see if you are going to like it.
then you sell your suv that you love because trailering sucks and you'll end up with a truck (only because of our sled)
then you think, f*ck this driving to squamish and whistler every time I want to ride, so then you will leave vancouver and move to squamish
you ride a couple of seasons on your "beginner/used" sled, then you think, f*ck this old sled, I want a new one, so then you will sell all of your other toys to pick up your brand new sled from the dealer
then all of your ski buddies will start to hate you and talk ch!t about how much of a redneck you have become
and then you smile and say phuk yeah !

oh im sorry, you were looking for sled buying advice ... well, pros are cool but consider the distance to a polaris dealership from where you live. riding a doo has it's advantages in the sea 2 sky .. I snowchecked a new XM, and I really really really wanted to test ride a pro and have a decent comparison, but no polaris dealers in sight, and the one way the heck out in the valley would not entertain any demo days..

I would say buy my buddy's 05 rev with a brand new motor (top and bottom end) for $4000 but if your budget is 8-9 you can get a newer machine, any 09+ 800 doo would do you good, 11+ are better with the etec motor. Also consider your avy / sledding gear for your budget if you don't already have all that stuff.. it'll probably set you back $1000 ish

Last edited:

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the sled you mentioned would be an awesome beginner sled. As long as it is clean and the engine is solid, sounds like a great deal. Might not hurt to get an inspection done at the dealer to check compression, runout, etc to make sure.

BShap

Reaction score
Barry Barton- thanks for the info, will keep my options open.

Sidewaysinto3rd- That first paragraph sounds about right. Already looking to upgrade my truck to accommodate carrying sleds. and i see myself getting out of the rain out to a snowy area. as for the redneck comments. I already get heat for that, with my lifted truck and country music and my abundance of plaid.. But all of that is a whollleeeeee other story.
Sea to sky motor seems to be closest out in langley. I work just across the bridge so it is not too far. but i don't live out there so its a good distance on the weekend.
I might have someone interested in your friends 05 rev, does he have a classifieds listing?

Deaner- I am no mechanic, and plan on someone with knowledge checking it out before buying.

thanks for your comments, always open to hear and learn more.

BShap

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sidewaysinto3rd- Already looking to upgrade my truck to accommodate carrying sleds

I might have someone interested in your friends 05 rev, does he have a classifieds listing?

his sled is not listed yet, but I sent ya a couple of PMs, one about the first thing and another about the second thing ;)

dropitbuster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If $8500 is around your budget consider a 13 Summit Sport for about $1500 more. Brand new with warranty. Dealer up here is selling them for $10 000 out the door. Polaris Pros ride great but their motor longevity is questionable. Some last some don't. Unfortunately you just don't know which one you have.

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been looking to purchase my first sled. Once I get the hang of things I plan on riding pemberton, whistler, sicamous, revy, and such. I am not a big guy so i want something light. Been looking at the 2011-2012 pro and found one with 1350km for 8500. Just looking for any advise, things to watch out for, or any input you guys got for me. Would this be the right sled or should I look at a different sled.

Thanks for you help.

BShap

Sounds like a pretty good deal!! the only thing you may need to check is motor mounts if its a 2011, the were changed in 2012. As for the engine reliability, there is a thread on it you may want to check out. I ride with mostly poo pro's and several have turbos on them as well and I have yet to see an engine failure.... so I guess the hole lot of us are pretty lucky lol.... if you choose to go with a brand new sled, I would look at the new xm as I have heard some good things about them from some very trusted friends (that would not be Maxwell lol), they felt that, should the track system stand up the "flickability" of the poo pro may become yesterdays news. Other than that you have a very good price on a very good sled!!!! Good luck with what ever you buy!!!!

BShap

Reaction score
8500 is pretty much the most i'm willing to spend. I would love a brand new sled, but I am just not willing to fork out more money. also in market for a truck. sled is already chipping away at that fund..:(

thanks again folks for you two cents. any advise is appreciated.

Top Bottom