new skiis

Formula Z

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking to put new skiis on my 96 formula Z as the original skiis are really beat and don't handle well on trails or in powder - I know, I know - this is an old sled and I shouldn't spend much on it, but is in great shape and I didn't feel like spending $7,000 - $10,000 on a newer used one.

I am essentially a novice rider and use trails and like riding through deep powder when I can. I want to have better handling, without going extreme. Plus the old skiis look like hell - the powder coat has all peeled off the brackets and the skiis are tore up pretty good.

I went to Riverside in St. Albert and they said I should look at the C&A Trail X skiis. With the skiis, mounts and carbides it would cost just under $400. Is this a good price? Are these a good choice? Looking to some of you with lots of knowledge for some input. Another option was the Pilot 5.7s - they were essentially the same price, but they recommended the the C&As over the Pilots.

Also, the cover for my machine is ripped - tried to see if I could get a new one (they don't make them anymore). Anyone have a cover IN GOOD condition for this machine or something similar (a cover from many Ski doo machines from this era would fit) they are willing to sell? Or anyone know a good place to get a cover repaired??

Thanks everyone in advance for your wisdom and knowledge.

Formula Z

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would check Royal Distributing for some plastic ski options. They have several different models in their catalog with kits that should mount on your sled. As for a cover I picked one up at Walmart. Surre it isn't a pretty stock one but it fits good and the price was right.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your Formula Z came with the old steel skis correct? I have a set of skis off a 98 Summit X I'd be willing to part with for very little. Send me a PM if you're interested. They're the plastic skis with the aluminum center piece. The will bolt right up. I just took them off my 98X when I put a set of pilots off my 08 XP on.

As far as your cover is concerned a cover for a ZX chassis will fit on your S chassis. I believe they still sell covers for the ZX chassis. (at least they did a year and a half ago when I bought mine) Walmart and Princess Auto both carry a pretty good looking cover that is built for trailering.

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put some Sno Stuff plastic skis on my 97 500,dual runner concave,it handles great now,got them from Royal Dist.fairly cheap,look good and work awsome on trail and in the powder.Dont get a Crappy Tire cover there crap and dont last,after my 3rd one I just got my money back.

caproskis

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am essentially a novice rider and use trails and like riding through deep powder when I can. I want to have better handling, without going extreme. Plus the old skiis look like hell - the powder coat has all peeled off the brackets and the skiis are tore up pretty good.

I went to Riverside in St. Albert and they said I should look at the C&A Trail X skiis. With the skiis, mounts and carbides it would cost just under $400. Is this a good price? Are these a good choice? Looking to some of you with lots of knowledge for some input. Another option was the Pilot 5.7s - they were essentially the same price, but they recommended the the C&As over the Pilots.

Thanks everyone in advance for your wisdom and knowledge.

Formula Z

The CA Pro Trail X skis are a good choice for mountain to trail applications. I would recommend them over steel skis as they are less weight and the tapered 6" to 4" width from front to back offer better handling and ski to snow contact than the stock steelies. Not sure if you have checked out our new buyers guide, but here it is:
6778-CA-Pro-App-Guide-Frnt-A-1.jpg

Top Bottom