New rifle

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the same can be applied to different chamberings as well. As much as I'd like a 28 Nosler, I know there's no way I'd be able to shoot it as accurately as the old 270.

Maybe a 280 AI would be the ticket if I got back into hunting again.

Buddy found the same, traded his 7 mag for a 7-08. Another buddy loves his 25-06. The size of the hole isn't as important as where you put it.
We lost a nice bull elk that was shot with a 308 this year.
28 Nosler is an excellent cartridge just don't buy a 6# gun or it will smack you a bit when you pull the trigger.
Shot placement all day long but you also need enough gun for the game.
My 270 Bee (10.5#) is my go to gun for energy and ballistics and the 300RUM (11.5#) comes out when I want chit dead fast at 400 yards plus - she's a meat wrecker up close if you hit big bones. Recoil for both guns is very reasonable for even my daughter, just a bit heavier for her to pack bigger distances. The 270 Bee is not a bad meat wrecker and lots of punch up to 400 yards for elk, use Partitions or A-frame and extend that to 500 yds.
I believe in maximum gun for the recoil you can ACTUALLY HANDLE.
Not saying the smaller bores are not really good guns, just nice to end the game quick when the trigger gets pulled.

crashidy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddy smacked an elk with his 300 win mag at 50 yards quartered away. Dropped it where it stood so he though. Laid there for 20 minutes. They approached it and it started running follow up ch!t dropped it

Turns out 1st shot hit a rib and disintegrated the bullet and it left a fist sized wound at that spot .
Big caliber and soft bullets up close...not a great combo it seems

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We lost a nice bull elk that was shot with a 308 this year.
28 Nosler is an excellent cartridge just don't buy a 6# gun or it will smack you a bit when you pull the trigger.
Shot placement all day long but you also need enough gun for the game.
My 270 Bee (10.5#) is my go to gun for energy and ballistics and the 300RUM (11.5#) comes out when I want chit dead fast at 400 yards plus - she's a meat wrecker up close if you hit big bones. Recoil for both guns is very reasonable for even my daughter, just a bit heavier for her to pack bigger distances. The 270 Bee is not a bad meat wrecker and lots of punch up to 400 yards for elk, use Partitions or A-frame and extend that to 500 yds.
I believe in maximum gun for the recoil you can ACTUALLY HANDLE.
Not saying the smaller bores are not really good guns, just nice to end the game quick when the trigger gets pulled.

I agree with you, but you pretty much made my point as well. No point owning a rifle you can't shoot accurately, some people are far more sensitive to recoil than others.

Reality is most people aren't shooting out past 300 yards, and if they are they should have the trigger time behind that rifle to back it up. Which lends itself to traditional calibers of slightly lower velocity and heavy bullet weights with less recoil if long range isn't the goal.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like my 7mm rem mag. I dont hunt very often. Works good when i do.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddy smacked an elk with his 300 win mag at 50 yards quartered away. Dropped it where it stood so he though. Laid there for 20 minutes. They approached it and it started running follow up ch!t dropped it

Turns out 1st shot hit a rib and disintegrated the bullet and it left a fist sized wound at that spot .

Was that you posting on Facebook about that. Guys were asking if they had issues with bullets doing that just the other day

The big greasy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Try a barnes bullet. They are wicked!

mur190

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with you, but you pretty much made my point as well. No point owning a rifle you can't shoot accurately, some people are far more sensitive to recoil than others.

Reality is most people aren't shooting out past 300 yards, and if they are they should have the trigger time behind that rifle to back it up. Which lends itself to traditional calibers of slightly lower velocity and heavy bullet weights with less recoil if long range isn't the goal.
100% ABMax.....
Biggest thing is time spent behind a rifle, get comfortable, ammo consistency and understanding how weather and conditions affect projectiles at range...
Lots of new and old hunters don't realize a 150 vs 180 grain out of their rifle may have a POI shift of 3-4-5" sure they both might group around MOA but at totally different places on the target... only way to really keep that in check is to reload or confirm case/batch/lot on target or over a chronograph to verify.

Guys shoot 5-10-20 rounds a year over the course of 3 month hunting season and expect to get hits consistently at "extended" range
How some barely hit a 6" pie plate at 100 yards and in turn feel confident slinging bullets at animals at 4-500 yards is beyond me.

I have some higher end guns and glass to match but.. I also have friends that beat me at target golf (various targets at 100-600 yards) with a combo that costs less then a Zeiss V6...
why because they shoot 2-3-400 rounds a year and know their equipment. the biggest equalizer is equipment knowledge, spending time shooting, or a gunwerks set up that they did all that for you and as long as you buy their $6-$10 a round ammo can range and dial you should get hits for that money.

Last edited:

beerwolf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well finally picked up a 30-06 ss xbolt. Certainly not fancy but should do the trick for me.
The detachable mag seems to work well.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well finally picked up a 30-06 ss xbolt. Certainly not fancy but should do the trick for me.
The detachable mag seems to work well.
I forgot to mention the CZ Alpha 600 rifles as well.

The xbolts are nice, check the action screws on the bottom of the stock, make sure they are tight. Take a piece of paper and make sure you can slide it between the barrel and stock all the way to the action. ( barrel touching the stock can give weird accuracy) Then go buy a few different brands of ammo and figure out which one it likes and giver.

beerwolf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention the CZ Alpha 600 rifles as well.

The xbolts are nice, check the action screws on the bottom of the stock, make sure they are tight. Take a piece of paper and make sure you can slide it between the barrel and stock all the way to the action. ( barrel touching the stock can give weird accuracy) Then go buy a few different brands of ammo and figure out which one it likes and giver.
Thanks! I will have to check that stuff out.
Just put on one of my old welfare vortex scopes for now. Sight er in on next days off hopefully.

mur190

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I will have to check that stuff out.
Just put on one of my old welfare vortex scopes for now. Sight er in on next days off hopefully.
X Bolts are nice guns! Im a big fan of the short bolt throw, make sure you run a few patches down that barrel before firing to get rid of the preservation oil!
Hope she shoots clover leafs for ya,

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup, X Bolts are great platforms.
A very nice gun so perform a proper barrel break in.
I do a cleaning and oil and dry patch, then one shot and clean and oil and dry patch, same again after 3 shoots, same again after 5 shots, same again after 5 shots, same again after 10 shots, same again after 20 shots, then done. Clean every 50 after that or when accuracy in question.
Awesome gun, you'll really be happy with an X Bolt - they deserve good glass for optimum performance.
The rotary center feed clips are the smoothest out there bar none.

Last edited:

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the 300win mag X bolt as well, it shoots fine. If you want a better cal and gun, i doubt anything will beat a christensen Ridgeline FFT 300 prc .. super light 4.8 lbs and the 300prc is an awesome cal.

Last edited:
Top Bottom