New rifle

beerwolf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had a weatherby vanguard 2 30 aught six for a lot of years and it's a fantastic shooter but I want to get something else with a steel detachable magazine.
I tried out that shitty plastic legacy detachable mag kit but it's junk so put the trap back in.
Thinking of either a Kimber, tika or possibly a browning. Any thoughts on these choices guys? Or any other recomendations?

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had a weatherby vanguard 2 30 aught six for a lot of years and it's a fantastic shooter but I want to get something else with a steel detachable magazine.
I tried out that shitty plastic legacy detachable mag kit but it's junk so put the trap back in.
Thinking of either a Kimber, tika or possibly a browning. Any thoughts on these choices guys? Or any other recomendations?

Browning all day, I love browning guns, unfortunately I do not own one but my dad has a bunch and a couple buddies of mine have them, some of the smoothest bolts I’ve ever felt. I have a weatherby vanguard 270 I shoot a bit but much prefer my Remington model 700 300 win mag with detachable magazine. Had a Tika 7MM with detachable mag, worst gun Ive ever owned, sold it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Browning X in a .270 WSM and my son has a Tikka (left hand) in the same caliber. Beautiful rifles. Except they kick like a mule. We ended up getting a couple muzzle brakes for them. Now, they shoot like a .243.
I would own a Browning again or a Tikka. My other rifle is a Remington 7mm mag. Another beautiful rifle that has filled many tags. But the fit and finish are way better on the Browning.
I wouldn't shy away from a Sako either, which is Tikka's sister company.

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Sako 30-06 with a stainless clip, awesome rifle. Would also recommend a Browning, don’t own one but bang for the buck is easier on the wallet then a Sako

The big greasy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Remington 700. That's my personal favorite. American snipers use the action, so it's good. Out of the 3 you state, I would have to say tikka.

beerwolf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the suggestions! Tough choice for sure.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've owned a number of Brownings, now I only have a stainless stalking in 300wsm mainly for moose hunting in the bush. Didn't care for the xbolt trigger on them, my 300wsm has a timney that makes it much better.

For the price point I would go with the Bergara, better trigger than the xbolt and I have found they typically shoot better than the Brownings, Tikka's, Savages.

Last edited:

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wouldn’t get caught up on the plastic clip thing. My Tikka T3 and my brothers Sako use plastic clips and work 100% no issues. My P&H 30-06 has a steel clip and it’s junk, my savage 22 semi automatic has a cast aluminum and got 4 clips 3 work goo one doesn’t, but it’s a cheap savage so take that with a grain of salt lol.

As for rifles there’s so many nice rifles out no it’s hard to decide. But I really like my tikka it works so good. And not crazy expensive. I love my 270wsm but so hard to find ammo for short mags i personally wouldn’t buy another. I’d buy a regular 270 or 7mm or I hate to say it 6.5 creedmore always seem to have a good selection of ammo for those.

cattechsummitrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hard to beat the Browning I have a few ( and other brands LOL ) But my A bolt 7mm Browning is my go to gun, stupidly accurate, on the bench any misses are my fault LOL,,, And it has had cases and cases of shells put through it
And my #2 go to is my Browning leaver action 243
Whatever you get make sure it has a good removable clip, hinge plates are such a pain

mountianguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Christenson Arms is a great choice sub moa guarantee. I have a 300 wm and it is very accurate with not much of a recoil as most come with a brake.

The big greasy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've owned a number of Brownings, now I only have a stainless stalking in 300wsm mainly for moose hunint in the bush. Didn't care for the xbolt trigger on them, my 300wsm has a timney that makes it much better.

For the price point I would go with the Bergara, better trigger than the xbolt and I have found they typically shoot better than the Brownings, Tikka's, Savages.

What bullet are you running out of your 300wsm. Do you save your brass?

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sako or Browning
I have a Sako in 22-250 and the X Bolt Medallion in 270 Winchester (daughters' gun)
The Browning is tied for my most accurate gun and the Weatherby Terramark RC in 270 and Reminton Sendaro in 300RUM, both have trigger work and glass bedding. Browning out of the box is a .5" gun with no extra work done to it.
The Browning is every bit as accurate out of the box and has a low 54 degree bolt lift keeping it clear of scope. Crisp trigger with adjustable pull. Palm swells - just a sweet handling gun - almost too fancy to put in the bush.
Not sure what caliber you are looking for just remember that if you put a brake on it, you will be wearing hearing protection.
The 300RUM with a 60% brake dam near requires dual hearing protection.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What bullet are you running out of your 300wsm. Do you save your brass?
I save all my brass for centerfires, Except for the 300wsm for whatever reason it just doesn't seem to be a priority when I'm shooting it. Which is a fail with how hard that ammo is to find now. I even have dies for the damn thing.

Had some stainless cased ammo with 180 berger's that that gun loves. I think I'm on my last box of it now.

The big greasy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I save all my brass for centerfires, Except for the 300wsm for whatever reason it just doesn't seem to be a priority when I'm shooting it. Which is a fail with how hard that ammo is to find now. I even have dies for the damn thing.

Had some stainless cased ammo with 180 berger's that that gun loves. I think I'm on my last box of it now.

It's stupid hard to find brass for it. I'm glad I kept what little I had. If you come across any federal 215 mag primers or brass let me know lol. Finally got my load worked up but need those specific primers now. The 300wsn is an awesome cartridge!

beerwolf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hard to beat the Browning I have a few ( and other brands LOL ) But my A bolt 7mm Browning is my go to gun, stupidly accurate, on the bench any misses are my fault LOL,,, And it has had cases and cases of shells put through it
And my #2 go to is my Browning leaver action 243
Whatever you get make sure it has a good removable clip, hinge plates are such a pain
Ya definitely need the new one to have detachable mag!
Travel a long ways on the sxs to get close to my camp and see the odd wolf , need to be able to just click in the mag and go.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

but once.. cry once

Top Bottom