new riders looking for place to learn and play

waynemags

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Ive been riding since i can rememberr. mostly flatland but some hill play back in the day. anyways i got my wife a sled this year. its a 2006 attack 136"track. i have an M7. we are looking for a place to go and get her into the scene. Im open to pretty much anything but she is a little leary. shes worried about avalanches and such. i mean she thinks that shes gonna get into one wherever she goes. im sure once she gets out she will see that its not that scarry. anyways were from medicine hat. im looking for somewhere we can trail ride that has some spots for me to play along the way. somewhere down in the pass. no issues making the trip. just dont want her to feel overwhelmed when we get there. any suggestions would be great. as i said i have been riding sleds as long as i could remember so i can take care of us. just want to get her into it easilly. thanx in advance

Newfie1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try this area. it's called Atlas just outside Coleman west side hwy 3. They have warm up shack. Trails are nice places to play, nice scenery. Polarice goes there, I think he knows area very well, you can PM him for more info.

Ride Safe
Have Fun

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
There is also Fernie. Family friendly groomed trails leading to advanced tree riding right beside the new cabin. Lots of amenities in town for the ladies as in great eating places, great hotels, and some eclectic shopping places.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yup for sure fire me a pm .. the road north of the staging area is now out of commission so can travel the road and find some nice spots to play .... buy a trail pass get yourself a map and start exploring lots of safe areas to play ... i wouldnt stick to the road much as we have lots of groomed trails that stay clear of avys
Try this area. it's called Atlas just outside Coleman west side hwy 3. They have warm up shack. Trails are nice places to play, nice scenery. Polarice goes there, I think he knows area very well, you can PM him for more info.

Ride Safe
Have Fun

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where are the passes and maps available? My neighbor was asking at one of the gas stations (who was apparently supposed to be selling them) they didn't have a clue?

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
with being a new season and gas stations probably with new employees they might not even have them yet this year if you want a trail pass we also have members in calgary that have some ... im off to holland tomorrow for two weeks but if you want some prior to that let me know and ill give you the name of the peeps that have them

Maniac1

Reaction score
Website
www.jurassicattack.com
My family and I got into riding last winter at both Fernie and Altas and had a great time exploring the trails with out any fear if avalance risk IMO.
I think you have to go much farther off trail to find those type of conditions.
Both seem to be used by great friendly people on the hills and on this board too.
Don

07summit

Reaction score
Waynemags, let me know how you make out I'm from just up the road in Brooks. My wife is in the same position, I was going to try to get her out to Cateract Creek this year because of the lower avalanche risk but want to make sure there is enough snow the trails aren't pounded out. Everyone I talk to says if you have the time Fernie is the place to go for a good mix, "safe" trails for the girls and lots of places to play for yourself.

waynemags

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Waynemags, let me know how you make out I'm from just up the road in Brooks. My wife is in the same position, I was going to try to get her out to Cateract Creek this year because of the lower avalanche risk but want to make sure there is enough snow the trails aren't pounded out. Everyone I talk to says if you have the time Fernie is the place to go for a good mix, "safe" trails for the girls and lots of places to play for yourself.
lets go

part time

Reaction score
Hi I am also from Medicine Hat the wife and I ride down their all the time ! Atlas is a great place to leane my wife was the same way when she started to ride now she cant get out enough. Lots of really good trails and they keep them in good shape. Enjoy its a great spot for family. They have maps at the Husky in town

waynemags

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi I am also from Medicine Hat the wife and I ride down their all the time ! Atlas is a great place to leane my wife was the same way when she started to ride now she cant get out enough. Lots of really good trails and they keep them in good shape. Enjoy its a great spot for family. They have maps at the Husky in town
id there alot of snow in the hat now?im in sask working. got huge dump here last night. hoping that theres snow at home to get out when i get back.

07summit

Reaction score
Not sure what the Hat has but East of Brooks barely has enough to go down the ditches. Took the wife's 500 around the yard a few times and tried to take my Summit 800 down the ditches but it didn't go too well. I would assume the Hat is in simmilar shape I think the same storm hit us both.

Cat Man

Reaction score
Hey welcome, I'm from the Hat as well and I got my wife into it last winter. We went to Fernie several times, Corbin, Coal Creek (window mountain),Valemount. I would say Fernie is about the easiest and fun place to get your wife to enjoy riding, great place, awesome help and guidance, warm up cabins, look forward to seeing you guys up there.

Sent from my super secret shoe device using Tapatalk HD

Jordan1924

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering the earliest that you can ride these places around Fernie, my wife and I are pretty new to the sport looking for a good places close to Brooks in the crowsnest

waynemags

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if anyone wants to get together for a ride mid december im on days off around the 14th. would be interested in headin to fernie if anyone wants to go. let me know

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Just wondering the earliest that you can ride these places around Fernie, my wife and I are pretty new to the sport looking for a good places close to Brooks in the crowsnest

if anyone wants to get together for a ride mid december im on days off around the 14th. would be interested in headin to fernie if anyone wants to go. let me know

Keep in touch and I may be available to show you around.

InnOnTheBorder

Lodge in Crowsnest
Reaction score
Website
www.innontheborder.com

Give us a ring Jordan. We are located 2km west of Crowsnest lake just past Island lake on the AB/BC border! Ride right from your cabin door.

Top Bottom