New rider, looking for advice

Taz56

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.56offsuit.com
I have a 2008 Yamaha Venture 500cc trail sled.....
I have less than 300 KM's on it.......
I will only be trail riding or in ditches and so on, NEVER in the mountains with this sled.......
I bought a double (ride on ride off) trailer for it brand new from the states. So I always have room for a second sled......

I bought the saddle bags for my sled and in them I have:

Toe warmers
Knife
2 flash lights (one on batteries and one that cracks for power)
Toilet paper
water proof matches
Fire starters
pen
First aid kit
Tow rope
Spare (light) jacket
Spare balaclava <sp>
Tool kit

UPDATED Dec 27th Today I bought:

All purpose thermal blanket
portable weather station
Hand Warmers
Metal folding shovel
Another thing of rope

For trail riding can anyone think of anything else I should be carrying?

Taz56

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.56offsuit.com
Thanks.....

Yeah I was going to pack some bars and some water every trip, this is more stuff that will just stay in the bags and only come out if I need them......

storch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would asume you are carrying extra plugs and a spare belt...

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A5 35 muscle rub for when you get that Yammy stuck. lol just kidding put it granola bars and good to go

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I was thinkin about the belt and plugs as well. Even on the trails you can still get turned around. I'd suggest a GPS. Saw for trees that fall across the trails. Zap strap assortment. Those things are invaluable in many applications. 80 to 100 ft cord rope. Good for shelter building. Good quality survival blanket....those little $5 jobs aren't even strong enough to wipe your butt with. Shovel, for the obvious. Roll of marker tape. Muff Pot. Tin can. I'll think of more later.:beer:

Taz56

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.56offsuit.com
yes to the belt and no to the plugs.... it is a 4 stroke and to change the plugs you have to remove the seats, the stearing wheel and 3/4 of the sled....LOL........ I do carry them but I would NEVER be able to change them on the trail......

I will look into the other suggestions.....

storch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes to the belt and no to the plugs.... it is a 4 stroke and to change the plugs you have to remove the seats, the stearing wheel and 3/4 of the sled....LOL........ I do carry them but I would NEVER be able to change them on the trail......

I will look into the other suggestions.....

I forgot it's a 4 stroke yamaha maybe a spare battery and a winch...LOL

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what are muff pots that everybody mentions?
Stainless steel food warmers tahat attach to your exaust somewhere...priceless,,,,warm food at 8500 ft:d. Mines on the pipe of the XP.
Best fifty bucks you'll spent.

sebrook

Reaction score
GPS is a great idea - if not even a compass helps - nothing worse than losing your bearings. A roll of tuck tape can be handy too because it sticks to anything even when it's cold. I've seen it work wonders on belly pans, hoods, windsheilds.....just about anything you can imagine.

storch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got to ask where are you planning on going on your trail rides? most local places have cell service and usually or you should be riding with someone else.
so what the heck do you need a arctic survival suitcase for? I have been riding a sled on trails for 25 years and never needed a quarter of that stuff.
Mountain riding I bring essentials for a 1 night stay on the mountain if needed
and even then I don't carry most of that stuff.
tow rope, couple of energy bars and extra pack of smokes(LOL) and gps
and yes probe,beacon,shovel,abs
Just saying your yamaha already weighs enough....Just my 2cents

Just finished reading my response and need to edit. I don't mean to sound harsh but
sometimes a person can over do it and it can be a pain when looking for something
and you got to rifle threw a million things is all

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2008 Yamaha Venture 500cc trail sled.....
I have less than 300 KM's on it.......
I will only be trail riding or in ditches and so on, NEVER in the mountains with this sled.......
I bought a double (ride on ride off) trailer for it brand new from the states. So I always have room for a second sled......

I bought the saddle bags for my sled and in them I have:

Toe warmers
Knife
2 flash lights (one on batteries and one that cracks for power)
Toilet paper
water proof matches
Fire starters
pen
First aid kit
Tow rope
Spare (light) jacket
Spare balaclava <sp>
Tool kit

UPDATED Dec 27th Today I bought:

All purpose thermal blanket
portable weather station
Hand Warmers
Metal folding shovel
Another thing of rope

For trail riding can anyone think of anything else I should be carrying?

Some sort of pliers/vise grips, duct tape,a length of tie wire(12-15 feet goes a long way),empty can(melt snow),spare gloves/goggles, small allen key and torx set, and maybe some survey tape to mark a trail......seems like I'm forgetting something else

storch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you ride with the same group most times you guys can split the load so you
are not carrying 3 or 4 of the same bulky items.

Taz56

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.56offsuit.com
Everything I listed fits in just the two saddle bags I have and actually I still have room.....

Will I need 3/4 of this? Probably not, but the one time I do.... I am going to be happy I do......

And being NEW to all of this I would rather be ready for anything, and as I ride more, get used to what is out there, and the people I ride with and what they carry I will not need this much stuff......

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got to ask where are you planning on going on your trail rides? most local places have cell service and usually or you should be riding with someone else.
so what the heck do you need a arctic survival suitcase for? I have been riding a sled on trails for 25 years and never needed a quarter of that stuff.
Mountain riding I bring essentials for a 1 night stay on the mountain if needed
and even then I don't carry most of that stuff.
tow rope, couple of energy bars and extra pack of smokes(LOL) and gps
and yes probe,beacon,shovel,abs
Just saying your yamaha already weighs enough....Just my 2cents

Just finished reading my response and need to edit. I don't mean to sound harsh but
sometimes a person can over do it and it can be a pain when looking for something
and you got to rifle threw a million things is all

I've also been sledding for a lot of years too, over 20 and never had to use 1/4 of the stuff I pack along for emergencies either. But I know darn well that the day I remove anything I'll need it on the next ride. It does sound like a lot of stuff but most necessities are small items that don't weigh much at all. Better to have it and not need it that to need it and not have it....especially 40 miles from the truck. And...where do you ride that you get cell service? Maybe you don't need all that stuff.:d

littlehoe

Reaction score
put in a pencil as well... pens don't work good in the cold... and a pad of paper so you can keep track of what tools the "light weight 2 strokers" need to borrow to fix their sleds... hehehe...

Top Bottom