new rails? 99 smt X

truepenhead

Reaction score
hey guys. so here's my question. i have a 1999 summit x 670 with a 136 inch track and im planning on installing a 144. i'vee looked into extending the rails but would really like to consider another option of just buying new rails that are the right length. is there a store i can buy new rails from or another model of snowmobile chassi that would fit underneath my tunnel.

any thought would be most appreciated

thanks

kanders

Reaction score
hey guys. so here's my question. i have a 1999 summit x 670 with a 136 inch track and im planning on installing a 144. i'vee looked into extending the rails but would really like to consider another option of just buying new rails that are the right length. is there a store i can buy new rails from or another model of snowmobile chassi that would fit underneath my tunnel.

any thought would be most appreciated

thanks

I don't know if new rails for that year of sled are available or not but why not rail extensions? 136 to 144 is a pretty short extension, 4" is not that far and would be plenty strong enough. You can probably get offset style to put 8" wheels at the same time.

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My suggestion is to post some adds and look for a 144" SC-10II complete skid, bolts right in, you will notice big improvement in ride. Check ebay I have see a couple complete skid go for around $200 and shipping.

truepenhead

Reaction score
SC-10II skid. i like that idea. what year and sled is that skid off of?? im guessing you've installed the skid on you're 670??

oh and about the 136 the tracks in great shape. two half tears and one crack in the middle lug. other than that real good

thanks guys

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you could also just slide your skid back 3" and go with bigger wheels in the back. a little less expensive and works good.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can get rails off lots of sleds for that era, pretty sure the mach Z was offered in the LT (long track) version with the longer rails (144"). lots of options available, a new skid would be good too though and probably about the same price with less work.

truepenhead

Reaction score
ok so i finally got if figured. i ordered a skid froma guy in camloops off a 2001 700 summit 300 bucks. i also ordered 9tooth extroverts off the guy. the drivers are already on a shaft and he said it came of a 99 smt x with 2 inch paddles and fit so im taking his word for it. has anyone used 9 tooth extro's compared to 8 tooth on a 2 inch track?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok so i finally got if figured. i ordered a skid froma guy in camloops off a 2001 700 summit 300 bucks. i also ordered 9tooth extroverts off the guy. the drivers are already on a shaft and he said it came of a 99 smt x with 2 inch paddles and fit so im taking his word for it. has anyone used 9 tooth extro's compared to 8 tooth on a 2 inch track?

Not without a drop and roll......have 9T on mine now but not sure if they would fit without the D&R.

Might fit, probably be really tight though. Can't say for sure. Need input from someone with a stock sled and a 2". Help guys.

truepenhead

Reaction score
ok. now that we have that question out of the way. lets say it fit. how will the gearing be should it be lower cause of the bigger track or will it have enough power to pull all that with stock gearing? should i do a drop and roll on my chain case? how much would that cost? ballpark figure

thanks again

Top Bottom