New Jet Boat...new 6.2 DI or LSA?

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ask Steve to take you out in a lsa if you haven't tried one yet. Best thing to do is try one before you buy, what I did before I ordered then I didn't regret not getting the bigger hp.

I think i met you and your boat with Boyd when we brought fuel to you guys in Tuchodi right ? Blue firefish ?

phatboy07

Reaction score
Thanks for the insights guys! Sorry for more questions but this thread is interesting on peoples opinions....
This is a tough one. The boat will be a 21 ft Stingray, extra wide as well with QT...so she will probably weigh a few pounds lol...the DI will handle the boat I have no doubt...but will the DI handle an added extra load (camping/hunting trip) without to much issue? My issue is I just never really took advantage of the LSA in my old boat too often (but there is no denying it was fun lol). What would be a top speed in my new boat with either motor do you think? Im not looking for speed but I am curious.

chadwik74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't comment on the Scott...but with the 6.2 and a Hamilton a full load will not be a issue. It's the pump that really matters in this situation....I'm quite confident mine will haul anything I throw at it. I guess the big test will be the Bull Moose I'm going for in a few weeks!

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's about 100 ft lbs of torque difference between the 2 across the board, and I suggest with a 8 ft wide Firefish stingray you're gonna run 3600 to 3800 with any kind of a load at comfortable cruise speed. My thoughts are the 100 ft lbs less of the LS3 or the DI , is gonna make your fuel consumption comparison to a LSA a lot closer than you think . That's a lot of torque, and it's all the way thru the rpm range. It also seems to me the Scott pumps need a bit more Rpm to realize the same cruise speed , in same hull, the increased torque thru the whole curve will benefit it ,I believe , even more than it would the Hamilton.
Beautiful boat , but the hammerhead , piranha or stingray hull certainly wern't designed for speed, the Ranger and the Hunter were a lot quicker hull . I'll say 50 mph with the LSA and minimum load ????

Woodsie1984

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
19' hammerhead fully tephlon (narrower then stingray) Scott pump with 2 guys full fuel fastest I got was 47 mph...trim all way down to stop porposes . Deffinetley not made for speed, my buddy can't use all his power cause his porposes so bad. They are made for hole shot in which lsa pops outta water in half the time mine does.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's hilarious that a you can't use power because boat porpoises too bad?
Lots off them out their though and people keep buying them that way.
If your changing the direction of water from the nozzle a lot it effects performance.
Happy hopping . Lol

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well this is my 2 cents.... both motors are great. In the same hull LSA scott combo and LS3 HAMMY combo 19 foot hammerhead, we did this to death lol. Hole shot was almost the same... could barely see the difference. Top end in this hull is 47 to 50 no matter what the power is, they are just not made to go fast that is the fact. In the mid range is where the LSA comes into play. Acceleration in the mid is a big difference in the LSA, if you get into a jam that extra power on tap is nice to have for sure. Yes the LSA is noisy compared to the LS3. The LS3 hammy combo was more fuel efficient than the LSA scott for sure no doubt. The hammy pump has way better reverse than the scott and in my opinion can handle the same amount of **** run through it, and i think its more efficient at cruise speed and hole shot. I loved my hammerhead with the LS3 hammy combo, but for the extra fuel used with the LSA it does not exceed the fun factor or the ability to get out of a ****ty situation when needed. In a 21 foot firefish it would not be a hard decision FOR ME because it will clearly need the extra power of the LSA. I think if this boat is being used for hunting and long trips it should get a hammy but thats just my opinion, i believe the efficiency of the hammy pump over the scott will offset the the extra fuel cost anyway. FIREFISH is a great company to work with when building your boat, i will be building another one soon with them again. I spent most of my time on the river with 3 hammerheads 2 with LSA scotts and 1 with LS3 hammy. Also my hammy didn't jam up the steering when we got into the rocks like the scotts did.

chadwik74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
19' hammerhead fully tephlon (narrower then stingray) Scott pump with 2 guys full fuel fastest I got was 47 mph...trim all way down to stop porposes . Deffinetley not made for speed, my buddy can't use all his power cause his porposes so bad. They are made for hole shot in which lsa pops outta water in half the time mine does.

No Trim Tabs?

Woodsie1984

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've never tried a hammy pump other then my buddies got a Ali-craft with 8.1 L hooked to it. Interesting bout the hole shot with hami cause my buddy with lsa beats me good out of the hole.

chadwik74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I take it they are hydraulic? Add some weight in the front as well, that usually stops it from bouncing. What kind of boat/bottom is it?

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Have you confirmed the indicator vs tab position? the might not be down.... lights lie!

Woodsie1984

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess technically there aren't a true trim tab, they are adjusted by hand. It's a 8 degree hammerhead full tephlon. I don't have them on mine but I believe all the newer ones have them on them now.

Last edited:

chadwik74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So they have turn buckles I'm guessing? You actually have to take a couple big crescents and bend them down to the proper pitch....this will stop his problem. The turnbuckles are there to hold them at that angle. Trial and error will get that boat planing properly....Just small increments every time then test....like 1/4" or so

phatboy07

Reaction score
Awesome feedback!
But begs the question.....judging by the responses the Hamilton seems to have an edge in cruise and maybe hole shot? what's the advantage of the Scott pump in this application? If there is any? Other than the added trim and other mechanical features it comes with already.

Last edited:

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the fact that the Hamilton pump has a clean out you can get to from in the boat. My boat has that and comes in handy! Saves a guy from getting into cold water lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chadwik74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the fact that the Hamilton pump has a clean out you can get to from in the boat. My boat has that and comes in handy! Saves a guy from getting into cold water lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best to do this on shore tho...it is a recipe for disaster doing it in the middle of a river. It's a steady stream inside you're tub when you take it off. Just a heads up for those who don't know.

Last edited:

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whats the $$?

LSA
LS3
6.2DI
Scott
Hammy

And did anyone think about lightnings on a FI CT525?

Top Bottom