New Jet Boat...new 6.2 DI or LSA?

phatboy07

Reaction score
So I have decided to go all out and get myself a jet boat built. Boat will be built by Firefish, 20-21ft, pretty much fully loaded with most of the bells and whistles. I am leaning towards the Scott pump as I like the extra features but not totally against the Hamilton.
Engine choice is either the newer 6.2 DI engine or LSA. Not really interested in the newer raptor engines. Anybody have any experience with the newer DI engine? I had an LSA in my older boat (AT pump) and I had no issues with it other than it really loved the gas lol. I didn't use the LSA power all the time either which is why I'm thinkin maybe the DI will be enough.....but I don't want to be under gunned either. Boat is already heavy to begin with and will not wont be loaded down heavy all the time but don't want to be wishing for more later. Fuel burn at cruise any better? Or should I suck it up and just go with the LSA again? Thoughts?

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your not against the extra $10g plus extra go with the LSA.
You can't have enough power in a boat.
Is it worth it ? Your call.
Don't expect a speed machine as the hull will not let it no matter how much hp you throw at it.
Both great motors. IMO

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would DI, buddy has the lsa and the gas pump guy is his best friend. imo 6.2 with the Hamilton is thee set up to have.

phatboy07

Reaction score
Should have made this thread a poll lol. So far 1-1.
Appreciate the responses so far guys keep them Rollin in!

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
heres how they stack up from KEM

Attachments

• LSA.jpg
    LSA.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 356
  • 6.2Di.jpg
    6.2Di.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 396
  • lsa vs 6.2DI.PNG
    lsa vs 6.2DI.PNG
    17.4 KB · Views: 378

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those are straight dyno test, doesn't take factors like hull design

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those are straight dyno test, doesn't take factors like hull design[/QUOTE

IMO that's as close to apples/apples you're going to get... Fuel usage at rpm should remain constant no? Hull design should only affect speed and efficiency.

chadwik74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the Marine Power 6.2 and a Hammy in a 20' OUTLAW Clearwater. Love the combination!

chadwik74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Chadwik.....6.2 LS3 or the New 6.2 DI (LS3 replacement) ?

LS3....lots of power and great on fuel. With a Hammy pump power only really matters down low. You could put a T-58 turbine in frt of one and you still prob only see 60mph

chadwik74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sneak up on anything....just like the races! When you hear them it's almost too late to see them go by!

Woodsie1984

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 19' hammerhead with ls3 and Scott. My buddy has same boat with lsa. His boat has much more power then mine, but also uses more fuel then I do. If I build a boat again I'd go 6.2 ls3. Has plenty enough power for what I do and have never needed more even when loaded right up. Extra power nc one the lsa...sure is but for extra cost of motor and fuel I personally don't think it's needed. Just my experience....both great motors though. You won't be disappointed with either one or the Firefish boat!

dogsmack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm such a noob with jet boats and have owned one for 3 years now. Sad. Our Bulldog has a 6.2 something (think is a LS3) with a AT 203. Fuel never seams to be an issue but I've never had the time to really stretch er out to actually get a true value on consumption. The bulldog is a bit of a tank but still hits 38 mph ish. Personally more hp equals more to go wrong when you really can't afford it. If it is for showing off...go big lol.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the LS's are great motors, all quite capable, But, how many of you guys want a 600 or 700 cc sled ? They're quite capable and better on fuel (sometimes) , than an 800 . I say buy the HP, when you can get 525-540 ish hp , stock, that starts and runs as nice and smooth as these LSA's, that's a good thing. And not to get guys panties in a knot, but when you compare same boat same pump and the LS3 or Di and the LSA, the difference in performance is huge, the difference in fuel consumption is not that much overall. HP is just more fun !!!!!!

Woodsie1984

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How much more fuel would you say your friend with the LSA burns compared to yourself?

Not a huge difference but 2 gal/hr diff when cruising, also you don't have to run premium fuel with the new 6.2 DI. The power is very noticeable and so is the noise compared to the ls3. Lsa costs more all around but also have more power, similar to stock 800 sled to turbo sled, costs more to buy and run but fun factor is more.

Last edited:

Woodsie1984

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ask Steve to take you out in a lsa if you haven't tried one yet. Best thing to do is try one before you buy, what I did before I ordered then I didn't regret not getting the bigger hp.

Top Bottom