New Home Builders

REV2XHEART

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am sick of the condo, sick of the dumba$$ES that I can hear all the time, and sick of not having my separate garage.

I have been in save money mode for years.

Looking for new, can anyone recommend a good builder they have had luck with? I am in south edmonton now and unfortunately I probably can't afford an acerage so house it is. I would do a duplex but you run the risk of getting a douchebag sharing a wall with ya, plus I don't know if you really save a lot of money vs a house.

Any insights people?

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are some good builders out there but were I in the hunt for a new home, I would absolutely check out Landmark. They are about 20 years ahead of most other builders in technique, material and execution. They are the only homebuilder who has a single person dedicated to seeking out new technology, working with the manufacturer to improve/perfect it and then verifying the technology is properly installed and works well in the design. I spent some time with their people as I am in the middle of a fairly comprehensive renovation at a home I own (stripped to bare frame and replacement of all mechanical/electrical and insullation). They were very helpful even though there was no benefit to them for helping me. I checked out several of their show homes and was extremely impressed not just because they looked good, but they were so well built.

Duplex vs detached house: I would never (personally) buy something I could not control completely. If you buy a duplex, own both sides and rent out 1. Good luck - K

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buy a couple year old house that suits your needs. Building is a PITA and you can't trust anybody. Even the best builder uses the same crappy sub-trades as the worst builder. A house that is a couple of years old has all the nit-picky things sorted out and the lawn and fence is in already.

gordhunt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What DaveB said I'd never build sounds like a nightmare

Sent from my S4

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was my own contractor when i built my house 7 years ago, it is amazing how much the sub trades try to get away with, had to baby sit all the time.after the sub was done the inspector was there the next couple of days and they were hard asses and he had 2 of them fix the job on there expense. i ended up doing most of the interior work myself and did all the shingles and decks myself, built my 900sq. foot garage with my nephew and did all the landscaping probably saved over 50 thow. you might try jacob construction out off leduc they did my framing and they can do a complete finished home

morerpmfred

Reaction score
From calgary. But here for a high volume builder morrison homes is about the best. They are is edmonton as well. Land mark is pretty good as well.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I wouldn't be so quick to rule out acreages so quickly based on cost. If your looking at a new home I'd bet dollars to doughnuts you'd be able to find a nice little acreage out towards Calmar, Devon or west of Stony.

We sold our 4 acre 1150 sq/ft bungalow last year for $325K and although many people thought it was "too far out" I could get to work on the south side in 45 min and WEM in 30 min.....

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What Bogger said.

Give Val a call. 780 405 9359.

She can help you find something.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can purchase more house than u can build with the same dollar, but you need to compromise some. I can say i could never live in any town or city subdivision again. I got me my slice of heaven. Murphy keepsop it that way

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Amazing some of the horror stories I hear now that I'm building!My GC used to seem pretty good but seems to be trying to pull some shady crap now too!Gave me a bill the other day and some numbers don't make sense!!Building inspection was 1800 and building inspector phones me wanting to get paid the 1500 before he comes to do inspection!Also he bills me 24 000 for doors and windows and I phone window place and he was invoiced 18 500 for windows!So I was in the city yesterday and paid the 18 500 and never told him!I know you have to mark stuff up but I'm not sure 5000$ is reasonable!That's not installed price either!Also when you get a bill shouldn't your hours and everything be broken down instead of just a price!When I get equipment worked on for 100 plus a hour they show how much time is spent doing it!Is this the norm when you have something built?

Oilboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't have any good builders to recomend. But DO NOT BUILD WITH HOMES BY AVI!!!!!! we did and it was a fa(kin pain in the ass. Always late, excuse after excuse, walls not strait, roof leaked for a year and a half. Took them 5 try's to fix that
wanted full cash when we took possession and I was missing a garage and landscaping. Took over a year for a 1400 sf duplex and that's just the house. Garage and landscape was 6 months after

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buy a couple year old house that suits your needs. Building is a PITA and you can't trust anybody. Even the best builder uses the same crappy sub-trades as the worst builder. A house that is a couple of years old has all the nit-picky things sorted out and the lawn and fence is in already.

Completely agree Dave. The only time you can't do this is when the market is way out of whack like our situation and it was less money to build new than what they were asking for 10 year old houses of similar size.

Top Bottom