New here, Question about young riders and where to learn/ride?

dzignr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.crowsnow.org
Whats FSR stand for and what is a snowmobile shelter?
Newbe questions, sorry
Don

Snowmobile shelter is a building out on the trails that (for us anyways) has a wood stove and bunch of picnic tables, walls have numerous hooks to hang your gear on. Racks above the wood stove with wire hangers to hang your gear on to dry. Great places to stop and cook some hot food (hot dogs, soup, or whatever you bring with) and warm up. Wood shed outside with lots of dry wood to use in the wood-stove. Some folks call them survival shelters as they are open year round.

hmmm "FSR" .. not sure, SRD = Sustainable Resource Development.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got two girls age 9 & 11 and we ride Atlas (Crowsnest Pass) a few times a year. They each ride their own Bravo. I'd recommend the CNP as a great place to learn as it's not that busy and trails are usually smooth. There are a few fields here and there a beginner can fart around in to get comfortable on a sled as well without worrying about about some yahoo flying by at 100+kph.

Some of the Fernie trails can get quite busy and riders can be in a real hurry to get to the alpine.

Cat Man

Reaction score
I have looked for someone to pay money to for a pass as well, i know between christmas and new years they said they werent collecting yet due to no grooming been done but the last 2 times we were out nobody came around either. I don't want people to think we ride and run and would gladly pay for such a good experinces. Thanks for the tip about Ghostriders shop as we stop there almost every trip.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Gearhub, just before you cross the tracks also has trail passes. Our girls will be out for the weekends now that the trail is worthy of charging for.

The speedo's are no worse than anywhere else and with the trail being 16' wide it is quite comfortable.

Maniac1

Reaction score
Website
www.jurassicattack.com
where is best place to get the maps? You guys have refered to stores in the pass but what towns are they in?

What stores in both pass and fernie?

Going to spokane to get a couple of sleds and want to pick up some maps on way through.
Don

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the fas gas in frank is the first station you will come to they have maps/trailpasses
the macs/shell in blairmore have maps/trailpasses
husky staion in coleman have maps/trailpasses
first and last esso in coleman have maps/trailpasses
all these are along highway 3

Maniac1

Reaction score
Website
www.jurassicattack.com
Fast gas was sold out, the rest of them lookes at me like I was retaded.
One did point out the atv places office and they were great help.
Fernie took 3 tryies as well.
Im set now.
Picking up new toys in the morning.
2006/2003 saber cat and fire cat. 700's

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok didnt know the gas stations were sold out thanks for the heads up
Fast gas was sold out, the rest of them lookes at me like I was retaded.
One did point out the atv places office and they were great help.
Fernie took 3 tryies as well.
Im set now.
Picking up new toys in the morning.
2006/2003 saber cat and fire cat. 700's

Maniac1

Reaction score
Website
www.jurassicattack.com
Alberta requires insurance and registration (plate) on sleds, BC does not (at this time) except in a few areas: when used in a parking lot or in crossing a road that is open to the public. Here in the Crowsnest Pass, a couple of times a year/season SRD checks for such out on the trail.

Are you sure I just read all require registation in B.C.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Are you sure I just read all require registation in B.C.

Yes, BC residents have to register their snowmachines. It is a plastic decal that is $10 or maybe $15. It isn't enforced. I have never been asked nor challenged in 11 years.

But I will iterate; if you are registered in the province in which you live that is valid in BC. It is just like your car or truck.

Maniac1

Reaction score
Website
www.jurassicattack.com
Well the wife decided she needed a sled as well so we went and got another from Idaho and were able to get our first short ride in today at Fernie. Only got to ride about two hours and had a blast, great just to get our feet wet. Looking foreward to tomorrow.

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I grew up riding a sled on the farm as a child and we could go anywhere in any direction back them. The praries had snow back then.
Just wondering what people do now days with youngers riders wanting to learn to ride. My son is 12 years old.
Im in the Lethbridge area and there is no snow here. I dont know anyone with private land where there is snow.
Thinking of buying a couple older sleds but no point if no where to ride till he get's older.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.
Don
www.jurassicattack.com
Never had a problem taking my kids into the moutains they have been riding since they were 5 and 7. they have been in the mountains with me since they were 9 and11 and they are now 17 and 19. I started my kids on a 440 ss and now my daughter rides a 2001 mm 700 and my son rides a m8, I started with small steps on small hills with turning out to just the basics, park down hill, when to get on the throttle and how to get unstuck. The most important thing I taught them is how to always get home or how to get help because u never no what can happen. I also bought the best safety gear for the kids and taught them how to use it. Now when we go out they look out for me and it's the best times u will ever have with your kids and u will find that most peaple that are up their will always watch out for u and your family. Seen a 4 yr old kid riding a kitty cat up at the cabin in revelstoke a few weeks ago and the little guy got stuck on the lake and their was 4 guys beside him in 2 seconds helping him out , the father was only 200' away but we got their first and helped him out. he was great to watch and he was trying to sidehill his sled even at that age so it's alot of fun watching how fast they learn. The other thing I taught my kids is a monkey can point a sled and hit the throttle and climb a hill but it takes real talent to ride the sled up the hill, I also wouldn't give them a bigger sled until they could ride the handle bars of the sled they were riding. Hope u have alot of fun because it's a great time with the family, ride safe and enjoy.

Maniac1

Reaction score
Website
www.jurassicattack.com
The family and I had a good day of trying out the new toys a week ago in Fernie.
We didnt get to far off the main coal creek trail but did not get as far as we wanted.
We took coal creek hoping to get to that cabin ( foregot the name) but could not find the way.
We got to a place with signs said cabin one way and stumps on trail another. took the cabin trail but hit a steep dead end hill right away.
Then tried the first trail off coal creek and it was very rough and then hit too deep of powder and got stuck.
Still had a blast, looking for suggested ways to find way around. We did have a map but hard to tell distance on first trip.
Headed backin a week and a half.
Don

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The family and I had a good day of trying out the new toys a week ago in Fernie.
We didnt get to far off the main coal creek trail but did not get as far as we wanted.
We took coal creek hoping to get to that cabin ( foregot the name) but could not find the way.
We got to a place with signs said cabin one way and stumps on trail another. took the cabin trail but hit a steep dead end hill right away.
Then tried the first trail off coal creek and it was very rough and then hit too deep of powder and got stuck.
Still had a blast, looking for suggested ways to find way around. We did have a map but hard to tell distance on first trip.
Headed backin a week and a half.
Don

The name of the cabin is the Wrangler's cabin and it is named after a group of horse riders that used to ride that area in the summer months. That, in itself, is another long story......

When you got to the red signs that said stumps and large ruts you were on the correct trail. You made an incorrect assumption somewhere and followed a single track trail that took you the old way.

When I was grooming the other night (Friday), it was easy to see where someone could get off the trail and get mixed up. There was 16" of fresh and the wide berms on the groomed trail were not visible so one had to follow snowmobile tracks.

The trail goes up the hill (gentle incline) and a little to the left. It is marked with orange 2x2's and 12" square Wrangler's cabin signs. Some are on 2x2's and some are on the trees.

We might need a few more markers in the first kilometer as it gets quite a bit of traffic.

When is the specific date of your "week and a half"? I may be available to help you out.

Top Bottom