New here, Question about young riders and where to learn/ride?

Maniac1

Reaction score
Website
www.jurassicattack.com
I grew up riding a sled on the farm as a child and we could go anywhere in any direction back them. The praries had snow back then.
Just wondering what people do now days with youngers riders wanting to learn to ride. My son is 12 years old.
Im in the Lethbridge area and there is no snow here. I dont know anyone with private land where there is snow.
Thinking of buying a couple older sleds but no point if no where to ride till he get's older.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.
Don
www.jurassicattack.com

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
:welcome: Enjoy the camaraderie and the banter. :xmas2004_15:

PS Fernie and the Pass are pretty much the closest areas with consistent snow. Both have grooming programs and great trails to learn how to ride. Easy places to get off the trail and
try a little boondocking.

dzignr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.crowsnow.org
Crowsnest Pass: , check out the (menu/nav) Trails/Maps/Northside & Southside pages. The Google Earth scenario is pretty sweet, allowing you to plan your day/trip. Lots of trails and great areas to learn in. You will definitely enjoy yourself and as the young one gets a few miles under his belt, you can venture into some more complex territory. All within an hour and a half of Lethbridge.

Maniac1

Reaction score
Website
www.jurassicattack.com
Thanks guys good info.
My biggest concern is at 12 will he be troubled by officals for riding his own sled.
Not sure what the norm is these days.
Thanks
Don

Maniac1

Reaction score
Website
www.jurassicattack.com
A friend of minw was riding and said they were checked for registation 3 times in one day and were given a hassle for letting underage rides putt around way off the beaten path. Not sure where they ride but they stay in lumbrick with relatives..
Love the feed back guys.
Don

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
The only place in Southern Alberta we have been checked for registration and insurance was at Cataract Creek. In the past we have been at the South Shelter in the CNP and the RCMP have ridden in and never checked anyone for registration or insurance, nor did they ask how old our kids where at the time either, they just asked how our day was going, etc. . Maybe things are changing.
I think it was last year, I was actually hit by a kid on a sled that was way over sized for him on the Fernie trails, but I guess that would be a story for a different thread.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
thanks for the help guys, where exactly in fernie is a good place to run for new riders.
Thanks
Don

The Coal Creek staging area just past the Fernie Rod and Gun Club's rifle range. Ride Coal Creek FSR and continue on Paiges Draw FSR to the Coal Creek Summit.....play and enjoy!

View attachment Coal Creek staging area map.pdf

PS See you at Mountain Mania V?

dzignr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.crowsnow.org
Alberta requires insurance and registration (plate) on sleds, BC does not (at this time) except in a few areas: when used in a parking lot or in crossing a road that is open to the public. Here in the Crowsnest Pass, a couple of times a year/season SRD checks for such out on the trail.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
if no registration how does BC cover trail maintance costs?
Don

even in Alberta your registration does sweet FA for trail maintenance, the ASA trail passes go to assist with trail maintenance here.

dzignr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.crowsnow.org
even in Alberta your registration does sweet FA for trail maintenance, the ASA trail passes go to assist with trail maintenance here.

There are "grants" and such that are available for clubs to apply for. Grants cover many different areas; maintenance, upgrades, new trails etc. It can be argued that the "total" amount of grants available are dependent upon the number of registered "off-highway" vehicles in a given area. It would be nice when the Alberta & BC gov'ts adopt a combo registration/trail-pass scenario, at which time a true appropriation of money will find its way to the clubs for grooming and maintenance. Take the cost of a new snowmobile shelter in the Crowsnest Pass area: $70k + (materials only. Add same for volunteer labor and land clearing etc). We have on the drawing board 2 more of these shelters. That is one heafty price tag. You hopefully realize the cost involved as well as the time and effort the local volunteers put in to garner that kind of moola and support your local club by purchasing a yearly Trail Pass, or even clubs where you go to ride by forking over some cash for day passes. The sport and trail systems could really grow wildly if everyone who used the trails helped finance them.

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Where do you get them for fernie area?
or the pass?

Trail passes are available at Ghostrider Motorsports and the GearHub.

Due to the weather and lack of snow for the lower part of the trail we have not been charging for trail passes. Most weekends the girls are in the staging area.

BTW, Fernie only charges $10/day for a trail pass and most time the trail has been baby butt smooth. Just haven't got there yet this year....

dzignr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.crowsnow.org
Where do you get them for fernie area?
or the pass?

Crow Snow Riders' website/webstore has season's passes for sale; $60.00 until midnight and $70.00 tomorrow (Jan 01/2012) + a $2.50 fee to cover credit card/PayPal costs + $1.00 shipping (stamp and envelope). I plan on adding day passes as well ... perhaps tonight. Day passes for the Crowsnest Pass is $15.00 from any executive and when on the website/webstore, the cost would be $15.00 + a $0.50 fee to cover credit card/PayPal costs.

Link to the Crow Snow Riders General Store is:

Anyone who wants to save on season's pass needs to act before midnite tonight!

Top Bottom