New Guy with question about dirt bike for kids

ninjafish

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Since I was 14 years old to now (32) I have always had at least one street bike at any given time, oddly though, I never got into dirt bikes. This Christmas though I am planning on getting a little 50cc for my 6 year old son with the plan of eventually getting the whole family out on the trails. I will likely be on the forum a lot from now on because it looks like it is an excellent resource on local riding.

I was hoping someone could give me an opinion on my plan to buy a Konker kpx50. I realize that being a Chinese clone it will not have the quality of, say, a Honda crf50. On the other hand, I have always done bike maintenance myself and I am confident that I will be able to baby it and hopefully keep it going long enough for each of my kids to get over the beginner stage. Besides my 6 year old, I have an 8 year old daughter who will probably take turns riding it as well, and then two younger sons who might use it as their learner bike (if it's still running).

I figured that even if I had to buy a new Konker every two years, it would still be cheaper than starting with a Honda or Yamaha and running it for 6 years. I figure that the lower buy-in cost will allow me afford to put a bike under the tree this year (something that I am stoked to do), and if I can make it last longer, than it is just money in my pocket.

Has anyone been in a similar situation as me? What do you suggest? Thanks!

Chad

Brute Force Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a Gio 110 atv for my kids when they were younger (7 and 9) and it was a fun little starter quad for them, it was made cheap though, the welds were week and probably would not have lasted to long but it did the trick when they were starting out.
I would think it will work out for you untill they start doing some more advanced riding and jumping, should be a good way to start out and see if they like it or not without breaking the bank.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Konker line is pretty good stuff, Gio is just generic junk. The only difference between the Konker 50 and a Honda CRF 50, is the Konker has electric start. Proper pdi is important, most guys pull them out of the crate, fuel 'em up, and can't figure out why they don't run for s#*t. The oil has to be drained and replaced with a good quality 4-stroke atv oil right out of the gate. Loc-tite every bolt on the bike, and make sure you fuel it up, let the fuel sit in the carb for a half hour or so, and then drain 300ml or so. Also, pull the stock spark plug, and chuck it across the fence. Replace it with an NGK CR7HSA before you even try to start it.

ninjafish

Reaction score
DANG. :cool: I came to the right place!

My Internet searches all came up empty for that kind of info... exactly the sort of stuff I need. A heartfelt cheers to you fellas.

And goodngrubby, I plan to follow your advice to the letter. You even supplied the model number for the sparkplug :beer:.

Merry Christmas

Chad

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
DANG. :cool: I came to the right place!

My Internet searches all came up empty for that kind of info... exactly the sort of stuff I need. A heartfelt cheers to you fellas.

And goodngrubby, I plan to follow your advice to the letter. You even supplied the model number for the sparkplug :beer:.

Merry Christmas

Chad

Don't hesitate to ask questions. My daughter has a CRF50, but I sold Konker stuff for over 6 years.

mavrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have you looked at the yamaha pw 50? they are like 900 or so new and lots of used ones around yes its not a 4 storke but good machines to lrean on IMO fully atuomatic just gas and go.

ninjafish

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip mavrick, I think I would like to stick with a 4 stroke. But nothing is written in stone, if I came across the right bike I would look at getting it.

My local bike shop is advertising the TTR50e for $1000 (plus taxes and the rest). Looks like good price for a great bike. But I still keep coming back to the Konker. I could pick it up for $400 (plus) and have enough scratch to either buy a pair of them, or be able to spend more on his next bike when he outgrows the beginner phase.

Chad

mavrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats a great price on the ttr wish my son would lrean to ride two wheels insteed of 4 oh well at least he rides

Top Bottom