new gps

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
arff has a copy of bushmaps software, was also good. for me i find backroads works for the money,

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
arff has a copy of bushmaps software, was also good. for me i find backroads works for the money,

im a fan of backroads as well..have the books for alberta and lower bc and have never let me down....ab/bc backroads 279 at cabelas....

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
agreed the computer stuff is just as important.....im trying to recreate a few trails my father in law had on his gps...he recently passed away and promised him id put a little something up at ruby falls for him with my wife ...but i havent been there for a few years....hate to get turned around with the wife, id never hear the end of it . Will definately be sportsman show so ill check it out....found a few on ebay but, must be same deal as your contact cause for sd and v2 was $45 bucks but i like 25 better and wasnt sure what new versions are out . Also interested in the bluecharts...but ill check those at sportsman show as well...thanks again for info ranger, appreciate it

Ruby Falls, and Area. Backroad V2 and Garmin V4.

Bruce.

Attachments

• Ruby Falls & area.1.JPG
    Ruby Falls & area.1.JPG
    186.6 KB · Views: 135
  • Ruby Falls & area.jpg
    Ruby Falls & area.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 135

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
assuming the bottom pic is the backroads map? more of a topo map like it better than the v4 think ill bite the bullet get that instead of v4 unless i can find the free d/l as you previously suggested. thank you very much for map!

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
assuming the bottom pic is the backroads map? more of a topo map like it better than the v4 think ill bite the bullet get that instead of v4 unless i can find the free d/l as you previously suggested. thank you very much for map!

Once you get a Garmin MapSource Software program installed in/on your computer I can send you these tracks/waypoints directly to YOUR computer, then you can send them to your GPS unit and or save them in your computer as real Tracks/Waypoints and not just JPG'S/Pix. The Blue Charts are for the Lakes/Oceans (boating).

Bruce

Last edited:

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
avid fisherman so bluecharts would be handy for me...got fish finder on the lund but would be nice to have actual bluecharts...would appreciate it your trails once i get setup thank you

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
got a big box of all my father in laws gps stuff would imagine hes got the software in there. he use to map out quadding trips on his computer before we headed out....as his gps was a garmin map 76

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if any of the gps gurus know on the montana 600, can I put several maps on a 32gb micro sd card and just switch from map to map..? for instance from my topo map to the bluechart map? Thanks

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
from what i understand yes, you just chose which map you are going to use, backroads, topo canada, blue charts etc.

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
from what i understand yes, you just chose which map you are going to use, backroads, topo canada, blue charts etc.

thanks for reply imdoo'n...do you know if you have to create folders or just straight up map onto micro sd card?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure, i only have the backroads on mine, Looks like you install your map, then go to a folder and choose your map u want to use.

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure, i only have the backroads on mine, Looks like you install your map, then go to a folder and choose your map u want to use.

how is the backroads compared to the 24k topo maps...if you've compared the 2

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the older topo maps i think, i would not recommend at all, close to useless. Backroads much better, Bushmaps are good also. I want to see roads n trails and pipe lines. The topo map i have shows some roads n trails. With all the contours lines. There is just not enough info in my opinion.

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good to know...im also way more interested in the backwoods do lots of camping and hiking...and lots of quadding sounds like backroads more suited for my needs...thanks for the info appreciate it

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
finally found a copy of bc/alberta backroads map for my montana 600 at the sportsman show this weekend....just wondering if anyone knows , i got a map for ruby falls from abranger on here and am i able to put it in a folder and add it to right onto my micro sd card for backroads, and access it from there?

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
finally found a copy of bc/alberta backroads map for my montana 600 at the sportsman show this weekend....just wondering if anyone knows , i got a map for ruby falls from abranger on here and am i able to put it in a folder and add it to right onto my micro sd card for backroads, and access it from there?

If you try to add to the micro sd card you will errase the mapping on the card. Did you opp for the DVD version as well, or just the msd Card??
Did you find a MapSource Software Program in the box of stuff that you got from the family member????for the computer ???.
The CD'S MapSource V2, have a two part down load on them (1) the operating program GDB and (2) the Mapping Data program. The DVD MapSource V4 has two operating programs on it, the GDB (Mapsource)and the GPX (Base Camp) formate as well as the Mapping program. The base Camp you can get from the Garmin site free, no mapping.

Bruce.

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi abranger...

Yes I found a mapsource cd in with his belongings...says mapsouce v5.00....new to the whole plotting thing he always had everything all map out before we left...

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi abranger...

Yes I found a mapsource cd in with his belongings...says mapsouce v5.00....new to the whole plotting thing he always had everything all map out before we left...

Is this CD, the Trip & Waypoint Manager? The first Garmin Topo Canada V 2 has a set of 4 CD'S, for all of Canada The second Garmin Topo Canada V 4 has one DVD (latest/last release, so far), for all of Canada. The Garmin Topo Canada info was provided by dmti Spatial in Eastern Canada??? Garmin Topo Canada V2 & V4 are not locked and can be copied.

Bruce.

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is this CD, the Trip & Waypoint Manager? The first Garmin Topo Canada V 2 has a set of 4 CD'S, for all of Canada The second Garmin Topo Canada V 4 has one DVD (latest/last release, so far), for all of Canada. The Garmin Topo Canada info was provided by dmti Spatial in Eastern Canada??? Garmin Topo Canada V2 & V4 are not locked and can be copied.

Bruce.

Yes abranger you're correct it is the waypoint manager....i registered my backroads microsd and am d/l the maps version from their website as we speak. ..im assuming ill still need mapsource as well. Im dissapointed at the sportsman show he showed me his copy as he had it installed on a montana 600 which is what I have. He had an "extras" icon that he said comes with the microsd version I bought (bc/alberta) which showed all the quad, snowmobile,etc trails...but after installing mine I don't seem to have it. Was thinking after going in to enable the backroads map would be recognizable but showed up like 072e 072l 072m 073d 073e 073l 073m 07 not sure if its normal or...little confused. Was thinking it would show up the same on gps as it looks in the books...but doesnt seem to be as detailed he said more detailed but maybe my settings aren't right.

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes abranger you're correct it is the waypoint manager....i registered my backroads microsd and am d/l the maps version from their website as we speak. ..im assuming ill still need mapsource as well. Im dissapointed at the sportsman show he showed me his copy as he had it installed on a montana 600 which is what I have. He had an "extras" icon that he said comes with the microsd version I bought (bc/alberta) which showed all the quad, snowmobile,etc trails...but after installing mine I don't seem to have it. Was thinking after going in to enable the backroads map would be recognizable but showed up like 072e 072l 072m 073d 073e 073l 073m 07 not sure if its normal or...little confused. Was thinking it would show up the same on gps as it looks in the books...but doesnt seem to be as detailed he said more detailed but maybe my settings aren't right.

The 072e/072l/072m numbers, etc are map numbers. Did they show up before or after you registered the micro SD card??
After you finnish your d/l, just install the Garmin Waypoint Manager on/in your computer, this will give you a base MapSource Manager that you will need if you ever get any of the ibycus mapping software. I can help you out there. I have my Backroad GPS Map V2 micro SD card in a Garmin nuvi 255W and when you zoom in below 1 km it gets verry cluttered, as does the Mapping Software in/on the computer, but some of the data does not show up until you zoom in to 700m.
If you care to PM me you Phone Number, and the best time to connect, we can talk.
Later Bruce.

Top Bottom