New Distracted Driving Law

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned Ipods should be banned as well. I was in Calgary a few month's ago and there is a guy at a red light with his earphones in groovin' to the tunes, tapping his fingers on the steering wheel while everyone behind him is moving for an ambulance that was behind us. He never moved until the light changed much to the dismay of the ambulance drivers.:nono:

Wearing earphones has been illegal for drivers since the days of the walkman I believe......

what_next

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wearing earphones has been illegal for drivers since the days of the walkman I believe......

yet i still see a handful of people a day wearing earphones while driving, oblivious of whats happening around them

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yet i still see a handful of people a day wearing earphones while driving, oblivious of whats happening around them

to lazy to read but does it say anything about getting a ...................................well you guys all know is that illegal too now. or only if your using your phone at the same time?
so confused.:confused:

what_next

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
to lazy to read but does it say anything about getting a ...................................well you guys all know is that illegal too now. or only if your using your phone at the same time?
so confused.:confused:

nothing is mentioned about sexual acts while driving.... technically you can still keep both hands on the wheel haha

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This law is good and bad. It sucks for decent drivers who might have to deal with BS from the odd cop wanting to be a douche. I really doubt it will help with the bad drivers. Plenty without any distraction will still suck at driving horribly. But it might help getting the odd person to pay attention to the road I guess. Something does need to be done about people texting while driving, it's just stupid.

If you can't drive while talking on the phone and not let it affect your driving you shouldn't be driving to begin with, or atleast have the common sense to know you shouldn't be on the phone at that time.

About the GPS/DVD systems, I bypassed the lockout on my old truck for a few reasons. I didn't want the hassle of putting on the e-brake to use it, like if I pulled off the side of the road quick or whatever, or had a passenger working it while i'm driving. Plus I would listen to DVD's while driving. Ya I bet some people don't like that :d It was just stuff for the audio I had the screen off to make sure it wasn't a distraction.

But this law won't change how I drive one bit. Some of us have common sense to begin with and don't need to change our habits. I wish the cops good luck enforcing it. Plus with limo tint not sure how well they will be able to see in anyways :D

Last edited:

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But this law won't change how I drive one bit. Some of us have common sense to begin with and don't need to change our habits. I wish the cops good luck enforcing it. Plus with limo tint not sure how well they will be able to see in anyways :D

I was going to mention this earlier.... Now that cops have a REAL reason to be looking inside vehicles, I have a feeling there will be a lot more tint tickets handed out as well... It's just a domino effect unfortunately. The tint law is probably the one I object to the most... Such a piss off living in/around a small town where police have nothing better to do than hand out tint tickets to careful, responsible drivers. Or worse... Make you peel it right then and there.

buck50

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was going to mention this earlier.... Now that cops have a REAL reason to be looking inside vehicles, I have a feeling there will be a lot more tint tickets handed out as well... It's just a domino effect unfortunately. The tint law is probably the one I object to the most... Such a piss off living in/around a small town where police have nothing better to do than hand out tint tickets to careful, responsible drivers. Or worse... Make you peel it right then and there.
actually, they aren't really allowed to make you peel it then and there, as it can leave the glue on the window, making it hard for you to see out, and possibly cause an accident----that coming from 2 different cop friends of mine. they also said a lot of cops will try and make you do it, but you don't have to!!!

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
actually, they aren't really allowed to make you peel it then and there, as it can leave the glue on the window, making it hard for you to see out, and possibly cause an accident----that coming from 2 different cop friends of mine. they also said a lot of cops will try and make you do it, but you don't have to!!!

I've heard this as well... Along with people stopping for the police with their windows down... Cop knows damn well they have tint, but can't prove it... So as driver reaches for ins/reg. papers cop hits window up button. As far as I know they are not allowed to do that either. The only problem with this stuff is you'd pay more fighting these petty tickets in court and what not than the ticket itself costs. Kinda have you by the balls any way you look at it... WHAT'S NEW? :rolleyes:

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've heard this as well... Along with people stopping for the police with their windows down... Cop knows damn well they have tint, but can't prove it... So as driver reaches for ins/reg. papers cop hits window up button. As far as I know they are not allowed to do that either. The only problem with this stuff is you'd pay more fighting these petty tickets in court and what not than the ticket itself costs. Kinda have you by the balls any way you look at it... WHAT'S NEW? :rolleyes:

Not allowed to force you to remove tint, they can offer no ticket if you do but cannot force you. As long as it's not on your windshield they can't take your registration either. Not allowed to reach inside to put window up either. I would tell the cop get your arm out now before you lose it. I keep my arm there so they can't even try it. Also any ticket given that way would be thrown out. To many cops think they can make up the law as they go, a informed driver is their worst enemy.

Timber_12

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Every single one of you people that believes we need another law to replace common sense had better not complain when new laws come into effect against Highmarking, riding our sleds fast, jumping our sleds, riding our sleds in animal sensitive areas, pretty much even riding our sleds. We could all get hurt on our sleds heaven forbid so lets all make some laws to prevent us from doing just that. Lets protect everyone so they don't need any common sense.

YOU PEOPLE ARE ALL SHEEP!

You better not b!tch anymore when riding areas are closed because they're being closed to protect the innocent animals. Just like you want to protect the innocent drivers that can't drive defensively.

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Every single one of you people that believes we need another law to replace common sense had better not complain when new laws come into effect against Highmarking, riding our sleds fast, jumping our sleds, riding our sleds in animal sensitive areas, pretty much even riding our sleds. We could all get hurt on our sleds heaven forbid so lets all make some laws to prevent us from doing just that. Lets protect everyone so they don't need any common sense.

You better not b!tch anymore when riding areas are closed because they're being closed to protect the innocent animals. Just like you want to protect the innocent drivers that can't drive defensively.

IMO that is a totally 100% different topic and issue. I don't quite see how you can compare the too. Oh... and BAHHHHHHHHHHH! :d

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca

Have you read this thread or even the title??

Have you been drinking??

WTF are you talking about?? How does your incoherrant ranting have anything to do with this topic??

And why the anger?? Bad day? Get your pecker caught in your zipper or something??

Wow...Maybe you just need a hug!

Top Bottom