New Cummins or new Duramax?

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Teth try hiding your fob under the truck if you don't like riding with it. There is a special distance that it will not let your door unlock.

Thought about that and will have to find a good spot for it and do some testing. Just wish it shut off when the key was removed. Way too simple.

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Welp, in a blur of chrome and paperwork, I'm the new owner of a 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie standard output Cummins...fingers crossed she works out!

FYI the fuel economy will be much better after 10k to 15k kms. These big motors last long but also take long to loosen up. You may also like a BD Diesel throttle sensitivity booster. The brainiacs at Chrysler thought it was a good idea to program the truck so if you quickly pulled your foot off the throttle then quickly re-applied, the truck thinks you were going for the brake and hesitates for what seems an eternity, This can be un-nerving, especially if you are in the way of oncoming traffic. The booster helps improve sensitivity. This along with a good chip, like the Edge with CTS can go along way to making these things fun to drive.

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 2015 stock cummins is avg 23mpg on hwy empty at a speed above 110;)
Towing my 10,000lb 35 ft bumper pull camper i can not give ya a avg as I have not made any long hauls with it yet. Just 30km trips to bush
The factory air susp is awesome. push a button when hooked up to my camper and it levels out perfect. rides smoother then any of my 1/2 ton work trucks. one of every brand.
$85+k sticker and got it for $60
Best truck I've owned so far. Hopfully I will still be saying that in 5 or more years:d

Where did you get it for 60 I have waited for year end and am still way above 60. Even looking at cash price.any info for Alberta would be appreciated thanks.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys, sounds like some heavy digs against the Dodges haha. The new ones seem better than previous years, but I suppose I'd rather not find out the hard way...

As far as lifts, I was planning on getting something higher end. Thinking Cognito for a GM, unless anyone has any other suggestions?

my only experience with dodges are a 1994 and 2002... the 02 has 340k on it... has had a fuel pump... front ends x 3 lots of rust and now maybe a new tranny for the 6 speed... rear main seal leak... anyhow engine runs great but after dodge or cummins never warrantied the fuel pump 5000$ i said... f it ill never run a new dodge again... my dads 07 GMC diesel has never had a problem and we do the same work... he doesn't have mud flaps not a sign of rust yet... my dodge\s rocker pannels have rotted right through

only advantage i see to a dodge is mega cab and you can still order a stick which i love but as someone else said... dodge sucks cummins rocks... seems you can't have your cake and eat it to with this combo...

good luck...

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 2015 stock cummins is avg 23mpg on hwy empty at a speed above 110;)
Towing my 10,000lb 35 ft bumper pull camper i can not give ya a avg as I have not made any long hauls with it yet. Just 30km trips to bush
The factory air susp is awesome. push a button when hooked up to my camper and it levels out perfect. rides smoother then any of my 1/2 ton work trucks. one of every brand.
$85+k sticker and got it for $60
Best truck I've owned so far. Hopfully I will still be saying that in 5 or more years:d

I call bs on your mileage bud. They haven't got that kind of mileage stock since they came out with the urea system.

On a good day if your lucky you might get 18 but definitely not if you doing better than 70mph. Most average between 14 and 16 empty. Same as the other two diesels. Towing is the only area that Dodge does better than the other two. Consistently 2mpg or better.

mountianguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I call bs on your mileage bud. They haven't got that kind of mileage stock since they came out with the urea system.

On a good day if your lucky you might get 18 but definitely not if you doing better than 70mph. Most average between 14 and 16 empty. Same as the other two diesels. Towing is the only area that Dodge does better than the other two. Consistently 2mpg or better.

I dont call bs we are seeing 12.7 l per 100 k at hiway speed no load that converts to 22+ mpg imperial gallons. This is the norm not exceptions more than one truck 2013 and 2014 all stock everything including tires. We have done some work on these trucks in the past and found a level kit basically a 2 in lift in the front was a 2 mpg loss, the higher you lift the more you lose same goes for tires. On my personal truck just going to a 285 from the 265 was a mileage loss. I have seen the Duramax in the same range also so it is all doable. We may not see this now with colder weather and # 1 fuel. but in the summer for sure.

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont call bs we are seeing 12.7 l per 100 k at hiway speed no load that converts to 22+ mpg imperial gallons. This is the norm not exceptions more than one truck 2013 and 2014 all stock everything including tires. We have done some work on these trucks in the past and found a level kit basically a 2 in lift in the front was a 2 mpg loss, the higher you lift the more you lose same goes for tires. On my personal truck just going to a 285 from the 265 was a mileage loss. I have seen the Duramax in the same range also so it is all doable. We may not see this now with colder weather and # 1 fuel. but in the summer for sure.
I'm in the same range with my 14 mega cab. Wiith a good tailwind , driving at 100k, and being very easy on the throttle ive seen a average of under 10 at times on summer fuel. between city and highway (70% highway) after 53k on truck i average 13.2l/100k and im a 120 driver on highway. truck is best dodge I've had. Only complaint is the throttle stumble mentioned and rate of urea burn while towing is heavier than expected

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca

Who in the hell measures mileage in miles per IMPERIAL gallon?

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

If I lock the cruise I can average just under 11/100 o a round trip Edmonton to Boyle and back 250Km trip 100Kph no passing. If I try without cruise I get 12.5????? I don't now why but speed change use lots f fuel? With normal 105Kph and the odd pass I am 12.5ish.
Last weekend round trip to Lloyd was 14.3 l/100 at 125Kph ish so I call BS on your BS call.
Both trips just me and the kids, no load.
I can not get the same mileage without cruise, 800ft# burns fuel if you don't have a steady foot.

Driving a 2015 Cummins 3/4Ton with standard 3.42 gears. A 3.73 or 4.10 ratio will knock you back 2-4l/100.
Still rated for 18,000# towing.

And to stay on topic my brother has a dirtymax, Garage Man's Companion. No really big issues in 75000km so OK.
Mine with the air ride is smoother and better mileage.
Have another Dodge cause in 250,000 I fixed basically nothing on my 03 other than rotors once, tie rods and one water pump. NEVER was in shop on warranty and resale was $10K after 12 years of awesome service!
Only 5,000km on this truck - hoping it is as good to me.

Last edited:

GrizzForce

Reaction score
Call BS all you want. I can get 23mpg all day long empty as long as I keep it below 120. 110 seems to be the sweet spot for best mpg. I am only getting 12mpg hauling my loaded camper at the same avg speed.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Who in the hell measures mileage in miles per IMPERIAL gallon?

People that live in Canada. 4.54 liters per imperial gallon vs 3.8 liters for US. Doesn't matter how you measure as long as you are using the same base and state it. Liters per 100 KMs just doesn't seem the same as MPG but anything better than 13 L per 100 K is pretty dam good in a truck. BTW, that is what the 2012 Ram one ton I have does on the highway empty (12.2). On a 2,000 KM trip from Edmonton into BC, down the Kooney Valley, into Nelson and Trail and ambling back home pulling a 33 foot fifth wheel I averaged 11 MPG (imperial).

Having said that, my buddy pulling a similar 5th wheel with a 2006 Ford powerstroke was within about 5 liters at each fill. Pretty close all in all. I kicked his ass on the hills though.

young-gun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have brand new 2015 fully deleted with efi live. At 110 on cruise I am seeing 11l/100km.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Call BS all you want. I can get 23mpg all day long empty as long as I keep it below 120. 110 seems to be the sweet spot for best mpg. I am only getting 12mpg hauling my loaded camper at the same avg speed.

Not calling BS on you as I get about the same mileage.
I called BS on LBZ's BS call. Confused yet?

Top Bottom