New Cummins or new Duramax?

drunkukrainian

Reaction score
Looking into buying a new or newish truck before winter here, kinda just narrowed down to either a Duramax or a Cummins. Curious what people might have to say about these, 2014 and newer.
Any experience/issues with that new Aisin, particularly with above stock power?
Probably going to be doing ~3" lift, best bet kit for either one?
How do each handle deletes and some added power, longevity-wise?

To be used for mostly highway driving and towing in the winter for sledding.

Much appreciated!

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dodge, ****ty truck around a good engine.

GMC, good engine, tranny and a truck that drives great. I much prefer my dmax to my cummins.

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Driven both. Cummins is a truck engine that will out last two dodge bodies. The Duramax has a incredible flat power curve that is awesome to pull with. The engine brake on the Duramax is better particularly with a load in the mountains. Allison Trany can't be beat. The Chevy HD also rides like a car but hauls like a champ. 2011 and later Chevy has a stronger transfer case which is a improvement over prior years if you high mile like I do. MTB

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After owning 2001 Dodge, 2004 Dodge, 2008 GMC, 2010 Dodge and now a 2015 Ram, all diesels I would say Dodge all the way.

The GMC was $5000 more for an equal truck but although it was fairly fast, it is an old mans truck in every other way.

You sit lower, it turns slower and its simply not as sexy as the Dodge.

The Cummins is far superior to the Duramax as the GMC would get hot on big pulls with a big load and all my trucks were chipped. Aluminum heads are not a good idea for high exhaust temperatures. The Cummins also has more than double the bearing surface area and that's on a 6 banger! I do admit the older Dodges needed a $1200 front end every 100,000 km's but the GM's need a $2500 front end every 160,000 kms. Pick your poison, I just had my extended warranty cover a bunch of it.

If you can get in on Chryslers fleet program, (friends and family) you will save near $20,000 off the sticker of a $85,000 truck so give this a thought before you buy used. I never had luck with the GMC fleet program but I expect others might.

Finally GMC does not make a mega cab. I bet they would sell if they did.

Cummins610

Reaction score
No aftermarket parts available for new Aisin, both respond well to deletes, GM will feel more powerful. Dodge is more cost effective to to do the 3" on. You can't compare old models of these trucks to the newer ones, the new stuff is the best design/most reliable of everything to come out of the factory yet. I would pick which ever you get the best deal on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Teth don't forget the bi annually front brake replacement on the older dodges. My last Duramax HD went 718,000 km had one $2500 front end job two alternators one set of brakes and one water pump and one set of injectors under warranty. Ya they cost more but in the long run for me it pays off. You are right about the main bearing surface, the Cummins is a industrial engine it does a fantastic job in the Bomag packer running tacked out all day. One last thought easy on the country music. Take it from the old man she don't think your tractor or your truck is sexy. LOL
After owning 2001 Dodge, 2004 Dodge, 2008 GMC, 2010 Dodge and now a 2015 Ram, all diesels I would say Dodge all the way.

The GMC was $5000 more for an equal truck but although it was fairly fast, it is an old mans truck in every other way.

The Cummins is far superior to the Duramax as the GMC would get hot on big pulls with a big load and all my trucks were chipped. Aluminum heads are not a good idea for high exhaust temperatures. The Cummins also has more than double the bearing surface area and that's on a 6 banger! I do admit the older Dodges needed a $1200 front end every 100,000 km's but the GM's need a $2500 front end every 160,000 kms. Pick your poison, I just had my extended warranty cover a bunch of it.

If you can get in on Chryslers fleet program, (friends and family) you will save near $20,000 off the sticker of a $85,000 truck so give this a thought before you buy used. I never had luck with the GMC fleet program but I expect others might.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Teth don't forget the bi annually front brake replacement on the older dodges. My last Duramax HD went 718,000 km had one $2500 front end job two alternators one set of brakes and one water pump and one set of injectors under warranty. Ya they cost more but in the long run for me it pays off. You are right about the main bearing surface, the Cummins is a industrial engine it does a fantastic job in the Bomag packer running tacked out all day. One last thought easy on the country music. Take it from the old man she don't think your tractor or your truck is sexy. LOL
Don't forget the rear brakes and caliper sliders that get ever rock thrown without protection

Dumb azz design dodge

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

5 trucks in 14 years. If if you're getting a new truck every 3 years it doesn't matter what you buy. It'll always be under warranty. Not enough time to suffer the usual Chrysler unreliability.

drunkukrainian

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys, sounds like some heavy digs against the Dodges haha. The new ones seem better than previous years, but I suppose I'd rather not find out the hard way...

As far as lifts, I was planning on getting something higher end. Thinking Cognito for a GM, unless anyone has any other suggestions?

Diamondledinc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys, sounds like some heavy digs against the Dodges haha. The new ones seem better than previous years, but I suppose I'd rather not find out the hard way...

As far as lifts, I was planning on getting something higher end. Thinking Cognito for a GM, unless anyone has any other suggestions?

I think these guys above trashing on the dodges are posting from the late 90's early 2000's. i have a 2012 dodge megacab limited and i love it. (No Urea either) 50,000KM not a single problem. Deleted, chipped, lifted 3 inch. Carli, best lift you can buy with Chromoly control arms. Cost around 4g. tuned the transmission as well. I really like the dodge for the ease of potential mods to the engine. Lots of room to work around. I can't say that GM's aren't good trucks. But i prefer my GST leather and Alpine system to the cheap interiors of the GMCs. I love the look of the Dodges over the GMC's and this is obviously just personal opinion.

I'd go test drive both and see what you think. I have 160,000KM extended warranty as well, so trouble free cruising for at least another 5 years. Its all up to you. The front end dodge problems were early on, however the brand new dodges are a completely revamped suspension system, Radius and 4 link included. I serviced GMC fleet trucks for a while at a previous job and they were great trucks as well. We had some diff mount cracking when driven off road a lot, tie rod ends and wheel bearings.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now that GM stepped up the quality and room in the cab over previous years, I would be sticking with them. The Duramax and Allison are awesome, and the ride is hard to beat.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What's the warranty on the dodge? Gm is 5 years, 160,000km power train.

Id say the dodge would do better in an off road setting more often. The gm is more of a highway truck.

drunkukrainian

Reaction score
Anybody been keeping warranty after engine mods? Or do you just lose engine coverage? I'd just like to do deletes right off the bat, I personally think EGR is one of the worst things for them and DPF and DEF are just a headache...

Diamondledinc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody been keeping warranty after engine mods? Or do you just lose engine coverage? I'd just like to do deletes right off the bat, I personally think EGR is one of the worst things for them and DPF and DEF are just a headache...

Depends on the dealer i think. I've got a service writer friend. As long as its not directly related to the problem. Its usually okay.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Why is the emission stuff so bad, do you not care about the future of the planet for your kids, kids?

I have 165,000km on my LML with emissions and I don't mind it at all. No soot on the exhaust pipe, I can stand behind the truck and breathe the air. It doesn't smoke out my whole block like my 04' cummins...

I like the EGR valve, it warms the truck up quick in the winter.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why is the emission stuff so bad, do you not care about the future of the planet for your kids, kids?

I have 165,000km on my LML with emissions and I don't mind it at all. No soot on the exhaust pipe, I can stand behind the truck and breathe the air. It doesn't smoke out my whole block like my 04' cummins...

Well if u have one with def, it will leave ya at a snails pace at some point ( speed limited)

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I've also got a 14' F350 with the 6.7 powerstroke and 37000 km, that has a tailpipe full of soot, smokes black on takeoff, and the dealer refuses to fix because there is no drive ability issue or check engine light. So what's the point of warranty anyway, it also burns 3 l/100km more than it used to because it is trying to regen itself far more than it should. The thing is the soot that comes out of the tailpipe quickly settles to the ground and causes no further issues it does however create smog, the NOX emissions come back to the ground as acid rain but again pose little long term issues, its the extra CO2 being emitted from burning extra fuel during regen that bothers me, that is a long term problem and is what many consider to be the cause of global warming, so tell me how that is leaving a future for the next generations.

But to the OP, I would go with a new Duramax out of the 2, if I was buying again that's what i would get, GM seems to have their power-train figured out, has a suspension that rides nice, and reasonable looking body style, not to mention EFI-Live supports deletes on the new trucks if that is a consideration.

Reactions: Dmf

-lenny-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well if u have one with def, it will leave ya at a snails pace at some point ( speed limited)

Lol really? I didn't read that in the brochure??

It boils down to which truck you like. I like my Mega Cabs, so I am sticking with Dodge (Ram, whatever). I have gone the deleted route, and currently am on the stock route. Contrary to the opinion of those who don't have experience, the emissions system is not a ticking time bomb like the early generations were. Urea is no big deal, I think I add a couple jugs every few months. No big deal. I tow heavy at times, and at other times I do short trips in town for weeks on end. Never had an issue.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh ya, tell that to hundreds of people I see, stuck in salmon arm cause the def light is on a speed limited to 89 kmph and have 100 km till 55 kmph

U do know it all don't ya Lenny

Yes delete is not the best, but burning a hole bunch extra fuel for 100000 km is???

Deleted trucks run better, oil stays cleaner longer ect

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well if you don't fill your truck with fuel its gonna leave you at a snails pace as well. Fill the def tank and you won't have a problem. I put 20L into it at a time and it lasts months.

Top Bottom